Author Topic: questions  (Read 5503 times)

Offline joshuashu

questions
« on: July 17, 2009, »
ok, is the lynx express compatible with LOR  using a dmx dongle or do i need to use LSP?  I am debating between the express and the freestyle. with the freestyle i need to use the ssrs and each one needs power provided to it correct? so if i use the express i don't need the 4 ssrs so wouldnt the cost be cheaper for the express seeing it would be about $65 through the coop?

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
Re: questions
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, »
Yes but most don't really look at it from a cost point of view.  The Freestyle is a GREAT controller and suits the buyer well who wants his electronics next to the command Center in the Garage/control room etc. The express (also a GREAT controller) would be out in the yard uaually (unless you're just gonna run a HUGE amount of power cords. NOT recommended) So, the difference is running power/signal to an SSR in the yard or having you controller with onboard SSR's out in the display usually close to the group of lights it controls.

I hope that helps

Leon
Leon

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, »
Oops,.. almost forgot. Yes on the Freestyle and LOR. Someone here has already done that and has it working.  :)

I can get you the name if you need it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, »
Actually, a number of LOR users are now usnig the LOR, Lynx dongle, Express combonations.  Yes most current LOR units can operate on DMX so you can use a Lynx dongle to run them from Vixen, LSP, or any other dmx capable software and hardware. I will be demoing all this at the Florida Mini and will make sure to post the video when it's done. It all about which controller suits you and what you are doing. There are no right and wrong controller if it does what you want and you are happy it is the right controller.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, »
I think it needs to be made clear how the DIY products can be used with LOR hardware and software.

If you use the LOR dongle and LOR software to talk to LOR controllers, you're talking LOR protocol on the wire.  To use DMX based controllers like the Lynx Express or Freestyle from LOR software, you would need to have an LOR iDMX1000 to talk to the Express.

Now, if you're using LSP or Vixen, you could talk DMX from the USB-DMX dongle to both the Express and any LOR controller, since the LOR firmware on a controller will accept DMX and respond correctly.

I don't know the LOR software well enough to know if it can put out DMX protocol natively, but I doubt it.

It's also important to know the difference between the USB-RS485 dongle and a USB-DMX dongle.  I believe the dongles that LOR sells are all USB-RS485 and are serial, not DMX.

This is the way I understand it.

Mark

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, by mschell »
Mark
Kernersville, NC
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, »
ok so you can use the dmx dongle and the LOR rs485 at the same time? also if i run the ssr4 is their a way to have an extra hot to link a few together so i dont have to run 16 extension cords  to 8 different outlets. i am using all led on these.

thanks for all the great info.  cost is a little factor for me right now as  i am unemployed. i am thinking i am going to adverstise setting up peoples lights for them this winter for some extra cash,

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, »
ok just another quick newbie question.  What is the difference between the ssr4 non dmx and dmx beside controlling through dmx and daisy chain?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, »
ok just another quick newbie question.  What is the difference between the ssr4 non dmx and dmx beside controlling through dmx and daisy chain?

SSR4 - Solid State Relay (no brains, no DMX) Needs a controller like the Freestyle to work - no daisy chain

SSR4-DMX - All in one 4 channel DMX controller can be daisy chained

hope that help

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, »

so do i need the freestyle if i do it this way. do i just connect to the dongle and daisy chain?

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, »

so do i need the freestyle if i do it this way. do i just connect to the dongle and daisy chain?

Just connect the dongle and daisy chain...don't forget power to each one.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, »
ok so you can use the dmx dongle and the LOR rs485 at the same time?

I don't think this is correct, but I am a newbie.  You CAN use LOR controllers in a Lynx network (I have witnessed this several times), but to my knowledge no one has used the Lynx controllers in an LOR network.  You would not use the Lynx dongle and the LOR dongle for the same display setup.  You need to understand DMX a little bit in order to comprehend that, since DMX uses the concept of universes of 512 channels each.  I am planning a mixed network and my LOR dongles will sit idle in order to have one show controlled by one piece of software, in my case Vixen using one Lynx dongle.  I cannot speak to LSP capabilities since I have not looked at that program yet, but plan to one of these days.  I have to much to do right now just learning how to use Vixen after coming from LOR and I don't want to complicate things with another piece of software to learn.  So much to do, so little time.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline memphislights

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, »
To use DMX based controllers like the Lynx Express or Freestyle from LOR software, you would need to have an LOR iDMX1000 to talk to the Express.

I believe that mschell is correct if you want use the Lynx DMX stuff with the LOR software.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, »
Perhaps I said it in a way earlier that wasn't too clear.

If you don't use the LOR software, but use Vixen or LSP or any other SW that puts out DMX, you can use both the Lynx controllers and the LOR controllers with just a single USB-DMX dongle.    LOR controllers understand DMX protocol, which is the same protocol that the Lynx stuff uses.   However, I believe the pin-outs on the RJ45 cables may be different between the Lynx and LOR controllers.

And, yes, you can use both the LOR dongle and the DMX dongle together, both plugged into a different USB port on your computer.  Each dongle appears to your computer as a different COM port.  This requires the software that you use to be able to handle multiple outputs and multiple protocols.  As far as I know, LOR doesn't do this.  Vixen and LSP do.  But I've never used the LOR software, so I'm not the expert.

Mark
Mark
Kernersville, NC

Offline rmonty

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, »
To confuse the situation a little more.  LSP can run the LOR controllers using LOR protocol with a USB-RS485 adapter while also running DMX devices (Lynx Express, Freestyle) with the Lynx USB Dongle.  This would be the most efficient way to do it since it would allow the LOR controllers to run natively and be able to use LOR effects (i.e. twinkle, shimmer).  LSP will also generate these effects for DMX devices, but it is software based.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, »
ok so you can use the dmx dongle and the LOR rs485 at the same time?
I don't think this is correct, but I am a newbie.  You CAN use LOR controllers in a Lynx network (I have witnessed this several times), but to my knowledge no one has used the Lynx controllers in an LOR network.  You would not use the Lynx dongle and the LOR dongle for the same display setup.  You need to understand DMX a little bit in order to comprehend that, since DMX uses the concept of universes of 512 channels each.  I am planning a mixed network and my LOR dongles will sit idle in order to have one show controlled by one piece of software, in my case Vixen using one Lynx dongle.  I cannot speak to LSP capabilities since I have not looked at that program yet, but plan to one of these days.  I have to much to do right now just learning how to use Vixen after coming from LOR and I don't want to complicate things with another piece of software to learn.  So much to do, so little time.

Oops,.. almost forgot. Yes on the Freestyle and LOR. Someone here has already done that and has it working.  :)

I can get you the name if you need it.

His forum ID is joneslights. His journey started here. Pay attention to comments made in post #36. ;)
He also talks about it in reply #5 here:

Leon
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, by WWNF911 »
Leon