Author Topic: questions  (Read 5506 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: questions
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, »
Ok, now I am confused! LOL

Just kidding!

Lets backup a minute before we have every new person running around in circles.

Some of these post have to do with making a point. And the question has been muddied a little.

The question was this :

ok, is the lynx express compatible with LOR  using a dmx dongle or do i need to use LSP?  I am debating between the express and the freestyle. with the freestyle i need to use the ssrs and each one needs power provided to it correct? so if i use the express i don't need the 4 ssrs so wouldnt the cost be cheaper for the express seeing it would be about $65 through the coop?

First question asked: Is the Lynx Express compatible with LOR using a DMX Dongle or do I need LSP?
Most modern LOR equipment can understand and work using DMX protocol, Lynx equipment are native DMX devices so if you use a DMX dongle you can plug Lynx and LOR together and use them. You need a special wired cat5 cable between the lynx and LOR or visa versa each time you swap from one brand of equipment to the other. The wiring for this is in the wiki and it only requires you to swap a few wires when you put the end on.  

Now that in mind everyone is adding the software mix in.

So with the above setup you can use LSP or Vixen or any other system that outputs DMX.

If you want to use LOR software you will need a IDMX box to convert LOR to DMX and then you can run your LOR boxes on LOR protocol and then use the IDMX to run Lynx equipment on DMX.    

If you want to use LSP you can run it split with LOR controllers on LOR protocol with their 485 dongle and Lynx on DMX on a DMX dongle. or as said above.

Second question is about Express vs Freestyle and SSR's.

This is a preference thing really. If they were both on coops the cost benifits would be a matter of how many channels you are going to use right away. But since there is likely not going to be another FS coop this year it will be more expensive to go that route. But cost is only part of the equation and I think you should think about what you want. For example do you want to stay away from lots of cat5 cable to manage? if so the Express would have it hands down as with wireless DMX you could do away with cat5. If this is not an issue. do you have a reason to have part of the system central? if so the FS has it hands down.

As far as how has LOR & LYNX been done already, I know of people using LOR software and IDMX to run Lynx, I know of people using Vixen and the Lynx DMX dongle to run both Lynx and LOR on the same system using Vixen and LSP.  

The only penalty of using LOR software and a IDMX is the IDMX is expensive and it is limited in channels (256) and can only dim I think 32 at one time.

I hope I wrote this in a way that got what everyone wanted out but a little clearer by putting it all together.

RJ
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline joshuashu

Re: questions
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, »
RJ and all others.

thank you so much for all the info it is great.  I will get with Greg since i know him and he is who got me here and thinking of using this.  I guess i have to decide, new software or idmx controller.  Thanks again for all the great info. looking forward to this Season.