Author Topic: Attention all RGB and LOR software users!!  (Read 1459 times)

Offline UncleBuck

Attention all RGB and LOR software users!!
« on: December 26, 2017, »
Five years ago, I started a traditional display and now it’s time for some upgrades. My current display has 136 channels using the Lynx Express controllers, Lynx USB dongle, LOR Advanced Edition software and running off my show laptop.

I would like to start moving into the RGB direction. I thought I would start slow and for next year convert just my roof line to RGB.

My question is this: What do I need to make the conversion? I want to continue to use the LOR software simply because I don’t want to re-sequence my songs.

Keep in mind I’m not a computer guru so let’s keep this simple and use the guide “RGB for Dummies”!!

Here's my simple 2017 show. Mother nature here in the Pacific NorthWest blessed us this year with a White Christmas. This is the first time we have been able to watch the show covered in a little bit of snow.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks

Offline caretaker

Re: Attention all RGB and LOR software users!!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, »
Well to start you will need a controller for the pixels, I would suggest a Falcon V3. While it is overkill just for a roof line it will allow you to expand. As for software, I would suggest looking into XLights or Vixen 3.  Both are good free software packages and have plenty of feature. Vixen 3 would be close to using LOR software BUT you would need to have XLights to convert your LOR sequences to Vixen 2 format then import them into Vixen 3.  XLights would allow you to import your LOR sequences and convert then to Fseq (which XLights uses) XLights would be a bigger learning curve but there are plenty of videos and lots of people to help.  Vixen 3 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  XLights You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 
Jeff Squires

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, »
Thanks for input Caretaker, if I understand you correctly, I can import my LOR sequences into Xlights and from Xlights run my show using the combination of express controllers and RGB controllers of my choice IE the Falcon V3. After the conversion I would just have to delete my roof line in Xlights and then replace it with the RGB sequencing for each song. Is that correct? For Xlights would I still be able to use the same Lynx USB dongle?

Offline caretaker

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, »
Thanks for input Caretaker, if I understand you correctly, I can import my LOR sequences into Xlights and from Xlights run my show using the combination of express controllers and RGB controllers of my choice IE the Falcon V3. After the conversion I would just have to delete my roof line in Xlights and then replace it with the RGB sequencing for each song. Is that correct? For Xlights would I still be able to use the same Lynx USB dongle?
With XLights one of the first things you do (after installing it) is set up all your elements of your display (even add in ones you might do in the future) so your current roof line effects would imported to you RGB roof lione then you could change them as needed. Yes you could use the same Lynx USB dongle but if you get a Falcon controller you can run ethernet to the Falcon controller and then run the rest of your controllers from the Falcon.
Jeff Squires

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, »
Perfect, that's what I needed to know. I also went on xLights and watched some of the videos. As soon as I finish taking the show down I'll take a picture of my house and start creating the elements so I can import the LOR sequences. Thanks