Author Topic: If anyone is still watching, I could use some help with an active hub  (Read 3624 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
I've had an active hub and several SSCs sitting around for several years.  I finally got around to putting them together this year, but I'm having issues getting the pixels to light.

The hub seems to be OK (I think), because I tested the following:

Connected LE to the DMX output and it worked.
Checked all fuses and they all checked out as good (no opens)
Used a test wire to check for 12v at the SSC outputs

However, when I connect the SSC and check voltage at the input, where the CAT5 meets the board, I have 0v.  It's very strange because it's a hard 0v.  Normally when there is no voltage, you'll still get some bouncing...however when I put the meter on the wires, it goes straight to 0v and stays there.  Maybe it's just me.

It could be the lead going into the SSC and not making a good connection with the CAT5 cable.  I haven't really given that a close look.  I have tried multiple CAT5 cables, so I doubt it's that.

Also, I'm using the unmodified SSCv1 board and firmware.

Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Howdy!

I'm just making sure this is how you have the goodies hooked up: [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   ]

If you connected the Express to the DMX out on the Smart Hub that could show your Dongle is properly programmed for PixelNet (and not DMX) plus the Smart Hub has good power and PIC is programmed correctly.

When you say "Used a test wire to check for 12v at the SSC outputs" you mean on the Hub, correct?

If you have voltage at the Hub outputs and not at the SSC inputs then first thing I'd check is to make sure the CAT5 cable between the Hub and the SSC is a STRAIGHT THROUGH (and not a crossover) cable.

We want to make sure the CAT5 wires are soldered on the SSC in the correct locations:   (See picture attached.)

1 - White with Orange Stripe (DATA)
2 - Orange (DATA)
3 - White with Blue Stripe (+)
4 - Blue (+)
5 - White with Green Stripe (+)
6 - Green (-)
7 - White with Brown Stripe (-)
8 - Brown (-)

After checking the wiring, inspect the CAT5 connector on the SSC for yucky substances.

We'll start here then move on to the next steps.

:) joe

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've had an active hub and several SSCs sitting around for several years.  I finally got around to putting them together this year, but I'm having issues getting the pixels to light.

The hub seems to be OK (I think), because I tested the following:

Connected LE to the DMX output and it worked.
Checked all fuses and they all checked out as good (no opens)
Used a test wire to check for 12v at the SSC outputs

However, when I connect the SSC and check voltage at the input, where the CAT5 meets the board, I have 0v.  It's very strange because it's a hard 0v.  Normally when there is no voltage, you'll still get some bouncing...however when I put the meter on the wires, it goes straight to 0v and stays there.  Maybe it's just me.

It could be the lead going into the SSC and not making a good connection with the CAT5 cable.  I haven't really given that a close look.  I have tried multiple CAT5 cables, so I doubt it's that.

Also, I'm using the unmodified SSCv1 board and firmware.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, by JoeFromOzarks »
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline jwilliams31

Ok, so maybe partially my fault.  Turns out I did have a bad cable.  At least I think it was.  I made a new, truly straight-through cable, and I got the test firmware to light.

Now on to my next problem.  I loaded the regular firmware, but can't seem to get it to program.  It says "transmitting", and that's it. 
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member

The SSC test firmware doesn't program.  You'll want to fetch this firmware: [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  ] and NOT the later versions firmware.

Ensure the PROGRAM jumper on the SSC is jumped before connecting the RJ45 cable.  After programming and when the nodes blink white, the programming is successful.  Disconnect the RJ45 cable from the SSC, move the PROGRAM jumper off one post, reconnect the RJ45 cable and then try to program start channel with this utility [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  ].   

Let us know how you're doing.

Ok, so maybe partially my fault.  Turns out I did have a bad cable.  At least I think it was.  I made a new, truly straight-through cable, and I got the test firmware to light.

Now on to my next problem.  I loaded the regular firmware, but can't seem to get it to program.  It says "transmitting", and that's it.

Offline jwilliams31

I have the correct firmware installed and I'm using the right programmer, but I don't get any blinky.

Does it matter what I set the starting channel to?

And just to make sure, the jumper needs to be OFF when I'm trying to program the starting channel, correct?

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
The PROGRAM jumper must be ON (bridging both pins) to program the SSC.

The starting channel must match the starting channel for the universe that's set on the Smart Hub.  Try universe 1 and channel 1 before going hog wild.  By "Smart Hub" I mean "PixelNet 16 Port Active Hub."

Quick summary:
1. To program the Version 1 Smart String Controller (SSC), first, fetch the correct SSC Utility:
[ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  ].   

2. Make sure you have the correct SSCv1 firmware installed on the SSC PIC:
[ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   ]

3. Set the PROGRAM jumper so it bridges (closed) both pins.

4. Connect the RJ45 cable.

5. With the SSCv1 correctly running the V1 firmware, start the SSC Utility, set the correct COM PORT (SETTINGS) for the PixelNet Dongle you have connected.

6. Set the starting channel (try channel  1 for testing, you can change it later).  At this point, leave the remaining menu choices on their default setting.

7. Click on TRANSMIT.   The nodes should start blinking white.   SUCCESS!!   Click on STOP.

8. Disconnect the RJ45 cable from the SSC to disconnect power,  remove the Jumper, place it on one pin so it’ll not be lost to the carpet monster.

9. Reconnect the RJ45 cable and you’re all set to run your SSC with Vixen or XLights or what have you.

I have the correct firmware installed and I'm using the right programmer, but I don't get any blinky.

Does it matter what I set the starting channel to?

And just to make sure, the jumper needs to be OFF when I'm trying to program the starting channel, correct?

Offline jwilliams31

So it seems I was having more cable problems.  I guess I need to dig out my cable testers since these are now using all 4 pair and the connection is definitely more picky. 

I tested another cable and now programming is working. Thank God!!!

I think I am finally all good except for one last question.  Since I'm going to be mixing this with DMX, how will the channels work?  I'm new to PixelNet; I've been on DMX forever.

What is your recommendation?  I currently have less than 100 DMX channels.

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Glad to hear you can program!!  Excellent!!

What channel to start with is your personal preference.  If you have 100 DMX channels set aside, you can start programming the SSC Start Channel at either 1 or 101 or any number in between.  Each of the SSCs you'll be using will likely have a unique starting channel number.

I have a SSC programmed to start channel 1 in HYBRID mode.  Stay with me here.   (I also have a "test" SSC set in individual mode starting on channel 1, but more on that in a minute.)

In HYBRID mode, the first three channels assigned to that specific SSC will light up the entire string a particular color.
For example, CHANNEL 1 = ON is set to turn all nodes to red (with Channel 2 and Channel 3 both OFF.)
Channel 2 is GREEN for the entire string, again in Hybrid mode.
Channel 3 is BLUE for the entire string in Hybrid node.

Channel 4 then is the RED emitter inside the first node.   
Channel 5 is the GREEN emitter inside the first node.
Channel 6 is the BLUE emitter inside the first node.  etc. etc.

(For a sweet Halloween "orange" in Hybrid mode, set channel 1 (RED) to 255, set channel 2 (GREEN) to 30 and finally, channel 3 (BLUE) to 0.)

Understand HYBRID programming?

If we program our first SSC with channel 1, then the first SSC will match the channel numbers of the DMX devices.   We'll program the SSC with the (*) INDIVIDUAL PIXELS selected.   DMX channel 1 will have the same settings as PixelNet channel 1 - RED.   (Very handy when testing sequences!)

INDIVIDUAL PIXEL programming means:
Node 1 RED emitter = channel 1.
Node 1 GREEN emitter = channel 2
Node 1 BLUE emitter = channel 3
Node 33 RED emitter = channel 97
Node 33 GREEN emitter = channel 98
Node 33 BLUE emitter = channel 99

That'll start your first non-DMX channel at 100, if that's what you want.

Alternately, with the first 100 channels dedicated to the DMX stuff and with one SSC set to channel 1 (Individual mode) then when DMX channel 1 is turned on, Node 1 RED (and only Node 1 RED) will illuminate.  That means, channel 1 DMX is Channel 1 PixelNet also!   

This link shows the channel chart for all universes: [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   ]

Follow me?  It seems crazy at first, but eventually as you fidget with the SSC settings then *-FLASH-* all of a sudden you're a DLA expert!!

This babble may be a bit much so please, ask away.  There are no stupid questions!

So it seems I was having more cable problems.  I guess I need to dig out my cable testers since these are now using all 4 pair and the connection is definitely more picky. 

I tested another cable and now programming is working. Thank God!!!

I think I am finally all good except for one last question.  Since I'm going to be mixing this with DMX, how will the channels work?  I'm new to PixelNet; I've been on DMX forever.

What is your recommendation?  I currently have less than 100 DMX channels.

Offline jwilliams31

I "think" I get it?  Since I'm mixing DMX (which is the majority of my show) and now PixelNet (which will probably only be 1 or 2 elements since I only have 500 nodes) I will probably separate them and start the PixelNet at 101.  This will keep everything separate and less confusing for me.

Thank you for the info though.  I just have to experiment with it and grow my PixelNet.

Thank you for all of your help getting me up and running.

Jason

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Hello Jason,

It's okay, doing all this stuff has to grow on you a bit.   Rarely do things go according to plan and when the show is running you'll be seeing boo-boo's and thinking changes but remember the John Hartford song [  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login    ] "Nobody Knows What You Do" and know that no one can tell what is an intentional "effect" and what's an "oh no!"   :)   What is that saying about dazzling the audience?

Another good secret is the SSC Smart String Controllers load.  They are rated for about 128 nodes but if you can keep as few nodes spread across many different SSC's you'll have less trouble with power distribution.   I have five SSC's that drive only 13 nodes on my five Halloween tombstones!   (SSCv4 is a result of wanting to run more nodes off one SSC and increasing the distance between the first node and the SSC, but that's not important here.)

Create a spreadsheet and document each SSC with start channel numbers and how many nodes each SSC is driving.  And just because a SSC can have a specific "Node Count" (in the SSC Programming Utility) the important thing is the starting channel.   After a while I quit worrying about how many nodes were connected because it's not important to the SSC.   The last node might be #13 but if there is no #14 and "Node Count" is 128 nothing is there to light up, worry not!    (Vixen DOES CARE, the SSC does not.)

If you're wanting to keep things smooth, channel 100 would be the next start for 99 R*G*B in case you decide to change DMX and make channel 1 as RED Pixelnet, channel 2 as GREEN Pixelnet and channel 3 as BLUE Pixelnet (or HYBRID).   You'll be thinking in groups of three when playing with RGB nodes, it'll grow on you.   Below I posted the first 100 channels of DMX or RGB.

If you have any questions, please hurry back!  We're in this for fun, it ain't a job!  :)

CHAN COLOR 
    1 R    (or HYBRID string RED) 
    2 G    (or HYBRID string GREEN)     
    3 B    (or HYBRID string BLUE)     
    4 R     
    5 G     
    6 B     
    7 R     
    8 G     
    9 B     
   10 R     
   11 G     
   12 B     
   13 R     
   14 G     
   15 B     
   16 R     
   17 G     
   18 B     
   19 R     
   20 G     
   21 B     
   22 R     
   23 G     
   24 B     
   25 R     
   26 G     
   27 B     
   28 R     
   29 G     
   30 B     
   31 R     
   32 G     
   33 B     
   34 R     
   35 G     
   36 B     
   37 R     
   38 G     
   39 B     
   40 R     
   41 G     
   42 B     
   43 R     
   44 G     
   45 B     
   46 R     
   47 G     
   48 B     
   49 R     
   50 G     
   51 B     
   52 R     
   53 G     
   54 B     
   55 R     
   56 G     
   57 B     
   58 R     
   59 G     
   60 B     
   61 R     
   62 G     
   63 B     
   64 R     
   65 G     
   66 B     
   67 R     
   68 G     
   69 B     
   70 R     
   71 G     
   72 B     
   73 R     
   74 G     
   75 B     
   76 R     
   77 G     
   78 B     
   79 R     
   80 G     
   81 B     
   82 R     
   83 G     
   84 B     
   85 R     
   86 G     
   87 B     
   88 R     
   89 G     
   90 B     
   91 R     
   92 G     
   93 B     
   94 R     
   95 G     
   96 B     
   97 R     
   98 G     
   99 B     
  100 R     
  101 G       
  102 B

I "think" I get it?  Since I'm mixing DMX (which is the majority of my show) and now PixelNet (which will probably only be 1 or 2 elements since I only have 500 nodes) I will probably separate them and start the PixelNet at 101.  This will keep everything separate and less confusing for me.

Thank you for the info though.  I just have to experiment with it and grow my PixelNet.

Thank you for all of your help getting me up and running.

Jason

Offline ghethco

Don't know if anyone will notice a post here, but like Jason I'm trying to resurrect some SSCs from 2013.  Some program OK, but usually only once.  I can't reprogram them after that.  I'm also trying to flash firmware on them, but finding that my memory is dim and the instructions I've found very basic.  The Pickit3 software is reporting errors... and write failed.  I'm going to try the firmware Joe posted here, which is apparently different from what I have.

Also -- wondering if the 24V strings you can buy from Amazon will work with the SSC:

Gary

Offline tbone321

The Pickit3 should work but it will NOT auto detect and determine the processor number like the Pickit2 does.  You need to enter that manually.  Also make sure that you have the software set to make the device power the processor and that the SSC is NOT connected to anything while you are flashing it.  I have n=been using the firmware from Falcon Christmas for them and it makes configuration much easier.  The SSC's WILL NOT work with 24V strings,  they art 12V only.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving