Author Topic: Planning Ahead - How do you keep your pixels facing forward?  (Read 2194 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
I'm looking to start incorporating pixels into my show next year, so I'm starting to plan now.  How do you keep all of your pixels facing the same direction?  Especially on mega trees?  But just in general too, like if I wanted to line my gutters or windows or something with them.  Do you put them in PVC?

Tips are appreciated.

Thank you.

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
Never mind.  I managed to answer my own question.  I could either go cheap with some plastic strapping and some tape or zip ties, or go a little more professional looking with actual "pixel strips" made for this specific purpose.

I do have one other question though for those with experience.  Is there any real difference between a standard pixel and a square pixel?  If they are both WS2811 12v?  Other than the shape?  I just figured the squares would be better for mounting on a flat surface (like the house), while the regular pixels work better for more free form shapes like trees or arches.

Thanks.

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Hello Jason,

Somewhere on DLA is my post on using 2.5" PVC pipe (gray pipe painted white) and I'm very happy with the decision.   Setting up the edge lighting (gutters, windows, etc.) takes very little time.   (I will hunt down the post and report back.)

Found it:  [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   ]

:) joe

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Never mind.  I managed to answer my own question.  I could either go cheap with some plastic strapping and some tape or zip ties, or go a little more professional looking with actual "pixel strips" made for this specific purpose.

I do have one other question though for those with experience.  Is there any real difference between a standard pixel and a square pixel?  If they are both WS2811 12v?  Other than the shape?  I just figured the squares would be better for mounting on a flat surface (like the house), while the regular pixels work better for more free form shapes like trees or arches.

Thanks.

Jason
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, by JoeFromOzarks »
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I have had gutter lights hanging from cup hooks in the fascia board underneath my gutters.  They point straight down and if I didn't tell you that you most likely would never know.  Pixels are so bright it does not make a difference except when pointing backwards IMHO.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
WS2811 are compatible with smart string controllers.   Just keep in mind that the color order is different.  (I think BGR, instead of RGB, but it's been a few months)

Strips, instead of pixels seem to work well for mounting to the house. I've mounted mine to small pieces of wood to keep them straight, then hang the wood up. (used on porch)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!