Author Topic: Which Lynx works with LED strings?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline gwindman

Which Lynx works with LED strings?
« on: May 25, 2019, »
I haven't been on here for several years.  I have 4 Lynx v4 and 2 v5 I haven't really used.  If my memory is right, I remember that one type used AC current and one used DC current.  So only one type worked (well?) with LED strings.
I want to give everything to my daughter, but since you can't buy incandescent anymore, she would need to use LED.
Any help is appreciated.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Which Lynx works with LED strings?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, »
Greetings,,,

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is a link to the various items from here.  The "Function & Use" links tell you more about AC or DC usage. 

If you have Expresses, you can use standard AC lights strings that are meant to plug in to wall outlets.  I still see lots of incandescent lights around, but led strings also work.  Though you sometimes have to add a small load in series to pull enough power to work well.  Your mileage may vary.

A few minutes on the wiki should answer some of the questions you may have.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, »
Actually, I think that you are referring to the difference between the Lynks and the LE.  All versions of the LE are AC dimmers.   The Lynks is a pulsed DC controller.  The problem with LED strings and the Lynks is how some of the strings are wired.  If the entire LED string is wired in the same phase or is a full phase string, then the controller works very well with it, perhaps better than with the LE.  The problem is that not all strings are full phase and with those, some are not even fully wired in the same phase.  If the entire string is wired in the same phase and doesn't light, just reversing the plug on the string going into the Lynks fixes it and it works just fine.  The problem is that many LED strings are made up of 2 or more strings wired together (just like most of the ican strings) and they are not wired to the same phase.  In this case, if you plug it into the Lynks one way, half of the string works and if you flip the plug, then just the other half of the string works and the first half stops.  IOW, these strings are not compatible with the Lynks.  The LE is an AC controller so polarity is not an issue so all types of AC LED strings work with it.  You may need to change the light curve but IIRC, there are a few LED curves available or at least one so your daughter should be good to go.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, »
I've never heard of a Lynks, I'd like to read up.  Have a link, please?

:) joe

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Actually, I think that you are referring to the difference between the Lynks and the LE.  All versions of the LE are AC dimmers.   The Lynks is a pulsed DC controller.  The problem with LED strings and the Lynks is how some of the strings are wired.  If the entire LED string is wired in the same phase or is a full phase string, then the controller works very well with it, perhaps better than with the LE.  The problem is that not all strings are full phase and with those, some are not even fully wired in the same phase.  If the entire string is wired in the same phase and doesn't light, just reversing the plug on the string going into the Lynks fixes it and it works just fine.  The problem is that many LED strings are made up of 2 or more strings wired together (just like most of the ican strings) and they are not wired to the same phase.  In this case, if you plug it into the Lynks one way, half of the string works and if you flip the plug, then just the other half of the string works and the first half stops.  IOW, these strings are not compatible with the Lynks.  The LE is an AC controller so polarity is not an issue so all types of AC LED strings work with it.  You may need to change the light curve but IIRC, there are a few LED curves available or at least one so your daughter should be good to go.
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, »
Greetings,,,

Here's a links:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I believe one is a V4 and one a V5.

(Apologies to the original poster.  But the site has to have a little humor.  And maybe your original question has been answered.)

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, »
That's the funniest video I've seen in a long time, thank you!!!  ("Yes dear, I only spent 6mumble-mumble-mumble on new Pixels...")

Thank you Keith!

:) joe

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Greetings,,,

Here's a links:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I believe one is a V4 and one a V5.

(Apologies to the original poster.  But the site has to have a little humor.  And maybe your original question has been answered.)

Keith
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)