Author Topic: will this work?  (Read 1911 times)

Offline joshuashu

will this work?
« on: July 26, 2009, »
ok i am wondering if this will work or not or if i need to do something different?

i have 3 LOR boxes and i want to  add 4 lynx express to the show and run LOR.

i am thinking of this set up and want to know if it will work.

ctbo8- ctb08d- ctb16d-  idmx with adaptors (seebelow)- to lynx - lynx- lynx- lynx then to the rs 485.  will this work or do i need to do somthing differnt? if so does any know what?

here is the adaptors link.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i know i would need both male and female adaptors. if this doesnt make sense maybe someone who has better dmx knowledge would know?  sorry i just want to get this setup in my head so iknow what to buy to make this all work.( and convince the wife.)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: will this work?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, »
Hi Joshuashu

Not sure if you have seen the LOR page in our Wiki. On that page is a pin out to make adapter cable that seems pretty easy to do.

As far as your question. I assume it should work since I know others have it working just fine. Since I don't own any LOR equipment I'll leave them to answer for you.

Cheers

Rick R.

{fixed typo}
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, »
ok i am wondering if this will work or not or if i need to do something different?

i have 3 LOR boxes and i want to  add 4 lynx express to the show and run LOR.

i am thinking of this set up and want to know if it will work.

ctbo8- ctb08d- ctb16d-  idmx with adaptors (seebelow)- to lynx - lynx- lynx- lynx then to the rs 485.  will this work or do i need to do somthing differnt? if so does any know what?

here is the adaptors link.

i know i would need both male and female adaptors. if this doesnt make sense maybe someone who has better dmx knowledge would know?  sorry i just want to get this setup in my head so iknow what to buy to make this all work.( and convince the wife.)

The LOR> Idmx > Lynx is definately fine as there are people doing it. The adapter I would think would work from the Idmx to the Lynx as the Lynx Equipment is wired to the standard. But with out knowing the wiring out of it I can't say for sure.

After the Lynx you say RS 485, not sure what you are saying. After the Lynx it is still DMX so it you mean use another one of the adpaters to go back to xlr cable for DMX then if it is wired correct yes.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline basis21b

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, »
If I understand correctly, you intend to run the hardware using LOR software.  That being the case you will need to introduce the LOR signals from the other 'side' of your network.

rs485 - ctb08 - ctb08d - ctb16d - idmx - (dmx to cat5 cable) - lynx - lynx - lynx.

I built my own dmx to cat5 cable.  I took a length of cat5, cut off one end and soldered on a three pin DMX/XLR connection end.  The wiring information from the wiki tells which wires to connect to what on the DMX/XLR connector.

I purchased the DMX/XLR connector at a local audio parts place.  This is similar to what I bought.

Tom B

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, »
basis you are right, i aligned that wrong.  Thanks for the great info. i posted this 5 places and wouldn't you know it the 2 DIY website were the only 2 to respond. 

Offline occhristmas

• Christmas in the O.C.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, »
I have a similar question - I too am looking to add Lynx equipment to my setup.  However, instead of the LOR equipment, I have D-Light boards and use LOR software.  I have the IDMX and have the MR16 controller working with the IDMX.  Do you think that the same setup suggested above will work?  I will test this weekend, but I was wondering if anyone has tried this?

Will I just place the IDMX in line with my boards and then once it gets to the IDMX will it then read the DMX or do I need to have the IDMX in a separate USB/port?  If I do have to run them separately, do you think there would be any latency since they are not on the same line?
I got to thinking about this and since I am not at home (travel for business), I cannot immediately run a test.  Also, if this makes any difference, I have the D-Light usb adapter and the LOR adapter that allows for IDMX firmware updates.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, »
OC Christmas,

if you have the MR16 controller working, yes you will be fine.  You have dmx in a format that Lynx uses. 
Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL