Hardware > Lynx USB DMX Dongle

Can't Get USB Dongle to Work on Windows 10

(1/5) > >>

Gary:
This forum isn't too active, but I thought I'd ask: has anybody tried using a Lynx USB DMX Dongle on a Windows 10 computer?

I have a dongle that I want to hook up to my Windows 10 laptop, but I couldn't get it to work. I was specifically trying the Lynx DMX Deck program to test basic communications to a Lynx Express and had no luck. Since my Windows 10 installation is 64-bit, I installed the 64-bit drivers from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

I pulled out my old Windows 7 laptop, hooked up the same dongle, and it worked like a charm.

I plugged it back into my Windows 10 laptop and compared COM port settings. Still nothing. The serial port settings were the same at 9600, 8, N, 1.

Are there any special tricks I'm missing?

JoeFromOzarks:
Good morning!

I have both the DMX and the PIXELNET Dongles working on Windows 10, 64 and 32. 

Yes, the current (OCT2019) VCP drivers are here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You've confirmed the USB ports are good on the laptop, tried a USB mouse or other USB device?  I know, silly question.

After installing the VCP drivers, there aren't any red X's, yellow ! or any other bad "lucky charms", correct?

You say, on the WIN10 computer "compared COM port settings. Still nothing. The serial port settings were the same at 9600, 8, N, 1."   What is the VCP COM PORT number itself?   (Different computers will, very unlikely, use the same COM PORT numbers, one of my WIN10 computers uses COM3, another uses COM11, a third COM5.)   

After we know what the VCP COM PORT number is on the WIN10 computer, what software are you using to talk to the DMX devices and is that software set to the same WIN10 VCP COM PORT number?

Let us know!!

:) joe

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginThis forum isn't too active, but I thought I'd ask: has anybody tried using a Lynx USB DMX Dongle on a Windows 10 computer?

I have a dongle that I want to hook up to my Windows 10 laptop, but I couldn't get it to work. I was specifically trying the Lynx DMX Deck program to test basic communications to a Lynx Express and had no luck. Since my Windows 10 installation is 64-bit, I installed the 64-bit drivers from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

I pulled out my old Windows 7 laptop, hooked up the same dongle, and it worked like a charm.

I plugged it back into my Windows 10 laptop and compared COM port settings. Still nothing. The serial port settings were the same at 9600, 8, N, 1.

Are there any special tricks I'm missing?

--- End quote ---

Gary:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginGood morning!

I have both the DMX and the PIXELNET Dongles working on Windows 10, 64 and 32. 

Yes, the current (OCT2019) VCP drivers are here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You've confirmed the USB ports are good on the laptop, tried a USB mouse or other USB device?  I know, silly question.

After installing the VCP drivers, there aren't any red X's, yellow ! or any other bad "lucky charms", correct?

You say, on the WIN10 computer "compared COM port settings. Still nothing. The serial port settings were the same at 9600, 8, N, 1."   What is the VCP COM PORT number itself?   (Different computers will, very unlikely, use the same COM PORT numbers, one of my WIN10 computers uses COM3, another uses COM11, a third COM5.)   

After we know what the VCP COM PORT number is on the WIN10 computer, what software are you using to talk to the DMX devices and is that software set to the same WIN10 VCP COM PORT number?

Let us know!!

:) joe

--- End quote ---

Okay, it's nice to know that somebody is successfully using the same hardware under Windows 10, under both DMX mode and Pixelnet mode (which I was going to switch it to in order to do some tests). I was wondering if there was something inherently incompatible with the dongle, even though there are still FTDI available.

Oh wait... I was about to explain what COM ports were assigned to the USB port, what program I was testing with (the ancient Lynx DMX Desk program), so I opened it up, thought I'd try turning on a channel on my Express controller again, and now it works!  <fp.

I can't really explain what the issue was. I did reboot yesterday. I even unplugged the laptop's power from the wall as well because I've had a few issues in the past where my controller didn't "see" the DMX signal until I unplugged the laptop and ran it on its battery, and was able to plug the power cable back in. I know it doesn't make sense, it's happened to me several times for some reason.

I also noticed today that, unlike yesterday, the DMX Deck program seemed to finally "remember" what COM port I was using after closing and opening it u again, whereas yesterday the program was coming up with a "Comport is not available, Please select a valid port!" error every time, and I simply went into the Comport settings screen and chose the only avialable option in the drop-down box. I've seen programs at work act funny when a Windows Update is pending a restart, and given Windows 10's penchant to do updates when you least expect it, maybe it's something related to that? I don't know. This is embarrassing and frustrating.

Gary:
I do have another question, now...

I've re-flashed the dongle to Pixelnet and didn't receive any error messages.

I plugged thr dongle into my PC, hooked the dongle up to my Falcon F16-V1 controller, went into the xLights setup, cleared everything I already had in there, added a USB Device (Pixelnet), ID 1, Port COM3, Baud rate 250000 (greyed out, so it's stuck there), and set the last channel 4096.

I go into Test mode in xLights and I don't get the flashing "I recognize a valid Pixelnet signal" status LED on my Falcon F16-V1 controller.

JoeFromOzarks, what do you generally use to test PixelNet output?

JoeFromOzarks:
Hello Gary,

I'm glad the other problem is resolved!! 

I didn't go the Falcon route, you'll have to ask those questions on the appropriate site.   (I've repaired a couple Falcon players though, imagine that!)

To test DLA's PIXELNET I have a test PIXELNET Dongle -->Smart String Hub with external 12VDC Meanwell Power Supply (with 12V Kit) --> a test SSC v4 with a 3-pin connector (with alligator clips) that matches all of my Ray Wu, year 2009 forward Smart Strings.   

I'm not much help with Falcon, sorry.   Ask away with DLA stuff and I'll do my best to help!

:)  joe

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginI do have another question, now...

I've re-flashed the dongle to Pixelnet and didn't receive any error messages.

I plugged thr dongle into my PC, hooked the dongle up to my Falcon F16-V1 controller, went into the xLights setup, cleared everything I already had in there, added a USB Device (Pixelnet), ID 1, Port COM3, Baud rate 250000 (greyed out, so it's stuck there), and set the last channel 4096.

I go into Test mode in xLights and I don't get the flashing "I recognize a valid Pixelnet signal" status LED on my Falcon F16-V1 controller.

JoeFromOzarks, what do you generally use to test PixelNet output?

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version