Author Topic: What happened to DLA???  (Read 1547 times)

Offline ghethco

What happened to DLA???
« on: October 31, 2020, »
I was active here back in 2013-2014, looks like now this community has gone inactive for some reason.  Reading around I find no explanation or discussion of what happened???  I still have a bunch of stuff I built (Lynx Express, LED controllers, etc).  I was thinking about getting it all out this year and doing a new display.  I would appreciate advice on what to do now...  Looks like the COOPs/builds are long dead, has this moved elsewhere?  Sure seems a shame to let the work of RJ and so many others go by the wayside...

Gary

Offline tbone321

Re: What happened to DLA???
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, »
Unfortunately, times and things change and this includes Christmas lights.  Where RJ was king when it came to DMX AC light dimming with things like the LE and SSR4, the new craze is with LED RGB nodes.  RJ got many of us started with them with his PixelNet equipment like the EtherDongle and smart string controllers using nodes available from Ray Wu.  He always said that he built his equipment for use at his home and was willing to share his ideas and equipment with the rest of us.  He design required minimal configuration and basically you just plugged it in and it just worked but people wanted more flexibility and options and RJ just didn't have the time or desire to go that route. 

Many of the people who were here are now at FalconChristmas.com.  It was created by one of the former members of DLA and is all about RGB node controllers .  He has some advanced RGB controllers and a scheduling and control software called Falcon Pie Player that is quite impressive.  They have nothing for AC light dimming but as I said before, many have moved away from mini lights and went with nodes so there is not much demand for that type of dimmer anymore so no real need for LE coups here either.  RJ has been kind enough to keep the site up for those of us that still use the LE and some PixelNet equipment but there is not much activity hear anymore.  I used to really enjoy the conversations and posts on here.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline bigwavedave

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, »
I'd add that some of the other forums are also seeing a decrease in participation.  I think most of the people coming into the hobby now, are utilizing Facebook groups to get their information.  I suspect many of them don't even know about the forums.  The Facebook groups are quite active.

I still check 5 different Christmas forums each (well most) days, and this is definitely the least active... but not by much.

Offline ghethco

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, »
Thanks guys, very helpful!  I've signed up on falconchristmas.com.  From what I've gathered, all of the sequencing software out there is compatible with the SSCs that RJ designed (PixelNet?).  I was using LightShow Pro, which has also disappeared.  The computer where I had it installed died, and I can't even find the LSP software for download anywhere.  So, I guess I'm going to have to start over with something else.

Gary

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, »
A version of Light Show Pro combined with Nutcracker and became XLights.  The newer versions of LSP are owned by Minleon and is available but is no longer free.  XLights and Vixen are the current free sequencing software packages and Xlights seems to be the more popular over on Falcon Christmas.  That is the one that I am using and while it is quite powerful, it also comes with the steep leaning curve or as I refer to it as learning walls.  The sequencing software doesn't care much about the output protocol unless you are also using it to schedule and output to the controllers and yes, many of the more popular ones understand Pixelnet.  You may also want to take a look at FPP.  That is a separate scheduler and player software that runs on either a Raspberry Pi or a Beagle Bone Black (mini computers) and frees up your development PC and it was developed over at Falcon Christmas.  It can directly output to RJ's EDT and USB dongle and if something were to happen to your dongle, you can purchase a PI hat from them which will allow FPP to directly output either Pixelnet or DMX from its built in RJ45 jack as well as directly control two strings of nodes. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline ghethco

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, »
I've managed to get all of my hardware working now with xLights and make a fairly simple RGB pixel show for this year.  Anyone in a similar situation feel free to reach out.

Gary Hethcoat
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, »
Actually, the evolution of Christmas light technology never ends.  People like RJ, tbone, rrowan, smeighan and others have been invaluable friends and DLA resources over the years.  This is just my perception and may not be factually correct.  There may have been disagreement on the direction they wanted to go that led to the split.  I know in general RJ wanted to keep everything easy enough for the masses and keep things approachable and compatible.  I feel like RJ focused on a design where you couldn't shoot yourself in the foot easily.  THe new designs are more flexible ... but you also have to do the math and understand injection and other things to make sure you don't overdo it.  I see the pros/cons of both sides.  Perhaps that was a source of disagreement ... doing all you can vs doing what you can do without issues/workarounds. I hope nobody got hurt or permanently offended, as I know RJ and David both to be great people!  I feel like RJ did so much, it was inevitable burnout would occur or just the desire to focus lives on other things.  Totally understandable.  Also, I see that this burns out whomever is the leader as any one time.  So I saw RJ replaced by David and perhaps dkulp is next ... its amazing how much time and effort and goodwill these RGB pioneers have spent making this possible for the rest of us.   dmoore left and founded holidaycoro.  I would love to know what RJ has been doing since, as he was my mentor in the hobby, along with Holdman and others back in the day.  While David started falconschristmas forums and pixelcontroller.com (The Falcon controllers store) ... I watched as Matt, the Xlights founded, before leaving to work for LOR, worked with Sean to port code from his nutcracker (object oriented sequencing, and auto programming of lights) to combine software from xlights (was a show player, scheduler) into a new nutcracker + xlights = new XLIGHTS that was an object-oriented sequencer that was open source and C++ (I think).    Further, David created the FPP (or worked with others) ... and since was taken over by Dkulp ... who ironically is doing a lot of new hot RGB hardware (kulplights) that is competition for falcon controllers.  However, I think dkulp and David are on friendly terms and cross sell each others hardware.  I never really understand the full story, nor do I really need to ... but RJ really got this hobby going and even was a pioneer in RGB as far as I am concerned.  Because David also used pixelnet and Smart String, the falcon line was always pixelnet compatible, which was awesome for those who had SSC(s).  I literally still use SSC(s) on my show in 2020 on my neighbors house because the DLA active hub is such a great things ... he simple deploys the active hub to the roof and then plugs everything into it.  Because the programming is in the SSC(s), and my neighbor leaves them attached to the light sections ... its plug and play and very fast and easy for him.  I have converted my house to using Falcon Diff Controllers fed from a Falcon F16v2 diff rcvr, but I have to plug in certain wires to the correct ports, which isn't hard but its harder than my neighbors setup which he can just deploy and plug in without any requirement of knowing which port to plug into ... well, it doesn't matter.  And this year, we had a SSC go bad ... well I have so many old ones laying around, we just swapped the programmable chip from the old into the new ... and boom, new SSC ready to go.  Kudos to RJ for keeping this site around as I still reference more than I would like to admit.  I still favor the TM1804 bullet notes because power use is 1/2 that of 2811 and cost is only a little more.   As far as I know, Ray Wu still sells TM1804 nodes but I haven't bought any for several years or more.  THey have been very reliable and its nice to have a show which is 100% TM1804 based and 12v.  I am very fortunate to have lived close to Sean and David at a time when they were pioneering the hardware and software for the hobby.  The think I see in common with RJ and these folks ... is they were the most giving people I have known and dedicated to the pursuit of the growth of a hobby which brings smiles and joy to people worldwide!!  I always recall one of the things RJ said a lot -- which was that he was in this for "the smiles".  THat has stuck with me, because at the end of the day ... most people smile when they see these shows and it brightens their days and hearts. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline winwin

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, »
Thank you for your input taybrynn. I was wondering about the history of the hobby and its evolution...
I started 7 or 8 years ago with the Lynx Express and still use them in my show today. I am very grateful for what RJ developed and shared with us. I still come to this site on a regular basis to see what is happening. Thank you RJ for all you have done for us.
AL.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, »
Actually, the evolution of Christmas light technology never ends.  People like RJ, tbone, rrowan, smeighan and others have been invaluable friends and DLA resources over the years.  This is just my perception and may not be factually correct.  There may have been disagreement on the direction they wanted to go that led to the split.  I know in general RJ wanted to keep everything easy enough for the masses and keep things approachable and compatible.  I feel like RJ focused on a design where you couldn't shoot yourself in the foot easily.  THe new designs are more flexible ... but you also have to do the math and understand injection and other things to make sure you don't overdo it.  I see the pros/cons of both sides.  Perhaps that was a source of disagreement ... doing all you can vs doing what you can do without issues/workarounds. I hope nobody got hurt or permanently offended, as I know RJ and David both to be great people!  I feel like RJ did so much, it was inevitable burnout would occur or just the desire to focus lives on other things.  Totally understandable.  Also, I see that this burns out whomever is the leader as any one time.  So I saw RJ replaced by David and perhaps dkulp is next ... its amazing how much time and effort and goodwill these RGB pioneers have spent making this possible for the rest of us.   dmoore left and founded holidaycoro.  I would love to know what RJ has been doing since, as he was my mentor in the hobby, along with Holdman and others back in the day.  While David started falconschristmas forums and pixelcontroller.com (The Falcon controllers store) ... I watched as Matt, the Xlights founded, before leaving to work for LOR, worked with Sean to port code from his nutcracker (object oriented sequencing, and auto programming of lights) to combine software from xlights (was a show player, scheduler) into a new nutcracker + xlights = new XLIGHTS that was an object-oriented sequencer that was open source and C++ (I think).    Further, David created the FPP (or worked with others) ... and since was taken over by Dkulp ... who ironically is doing a lot of new hot RGB hardware (kulplights) that is competition for falcon controllers.  However, I think dkulp and David are on friendly terms and cross sell each others hardware.  I never really understand the full story, nor do I really need to ... but RJ really got this hobby going and even was a pioneer in RGB as far as I am concerned.  Because David also used pixelnet and Smart String, the falcon line was always pixelnet compatible, which was awesome for those who had SSC(s).  I literally still use SSC(s) on my show in 2020 on my neighbors house because the DLA active hub is such a great things ... he simple deploys the active hub to the roof and then plugs everything into it.  Because the programming is in the SSC(s), and my neighbor leaves them attached to the light sections ... its plug and play and very fast and easy for him.  I have converted my house to using Falcon Diff Controllers fed from a Falcon F16v2 diff rcvr, but I have to plug in certain wires to the correct ports, which isn't hard but its harder than my neighbors setup which he can just deploy and plug in without any requirement of knowing which port to plug into ... well, it doesn't matter.  And this year, we had a SSC go bad ... well I have so many old ones laying around, we just swapped the programmable chip from the old into the new ... and boom, new SSC ready to go.  Kudos to RJ for keeping this site around as I still reference more than I would like to admit.  I still favor the TM1804 bullet notes because power use is 1/2 that of 2811 and cost is only a little more.   As far as I know, Ray Wu still sells TM1804 nodes but I haven't bought any for several years or more.  THey have been very reliable and its nice to have a show which is 100% TM1804 based and 12v.  I am very fortunate to have lived close to Sean and David at a time when they were pioneering the hardware and software for the hobby.  The think I see in common with RJ and these folks ... is they were the most giving people I have known and dedicated to the pursuit of the growth of a hobby which brings smiles and joy to people worldwide!!  I always recall one of the things RJ said a lot -- which was that he was in this for "the smiles".  THat has stuck with me, because at the end of the day ... most people smile when they see these shows and it brightens their days and hearts.

here here Scott! a toast to you sir for such a fine read. i will second everything you just said about RJ and all of the gang. this forum is what made it all happen for me, you were a big part of being there, as well as the rest of the gang. i was just looking into pulling my active hub and some ssc's out for some long runs i'm planning. falcon is great, but still need 110v. ssc and simple cat5, you know the rest.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline memphislights

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, »
I think people have moved on to Pixels since they have become relatively standard.
It's not about more, it's about enough.