Author Topic: How long will this website stay up?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline ghethco

How long will this website stay up?
« on: December 13, 2020, »
First off -- hats off and so much appreciation for what RJ and everyone else did here.  I have some idea of the time and effort involved and it is much appreciated.

Like (I'm sure) many others, I have a lot of DLA hardware, both built and unbuilt.  I also really appreciate the fact that the website (with its untold treasure trove of information) is still here.

But, I know that these things aren't free, and likely sooner or later this site will disappear.  Does anyone know when that will be?

I'm in the process of trying to archive as much as I can, but I don't think the forums will be archive-friendly.

Gary

Offline bigwavedave

Re: How long will this website stay up?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, »
Great question!  I certainly would be happy to volunteer to help with the cost and management of the site, to help keep it as a resource!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, »
There is no plan to remove the site. It does cost money to keep up but I want those still using the stuff to have access to the information and other users to assist them if needed. While many are using other equipment now I find there is still quite a few using our stuff and they need to be supported still. I still meet people who do not know me that I find are using Lynx controllers.

I have thought about moving to a VM Servers I own to save me some money as I already pay for it and this site is very low bandwidth now a days so I doubt I would notice it. The biggest problem to that is I do development on that server so it get rebooted sometimes and can be down for hour every so often while I reconfigure stuff so I haven't. 

Even though I do not get on the site much I have a few of the members that still keep an eye on it for me and let me know if there is an issue.

RJ 
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There is no plan to remove the site. It does cost money to keep up but I want those still using the stuff to have access to the information and other users to assist them if needed. While many are using other equipment now I find there is still quite a few using our stuff and they need to be supported still. I still meet people who do not know me that I find are using Lynx controllers.

I have thought about moving to a VM Servers I own to save me some money as I already pay for it and this site is very low bandwidth now a days so I doubt I would notice it. The biggest problem to that is I do development on that server so it get rebooted sometimes and can be down for hour every so often while I reconfigure stuff so I haven't. 

Even though I do not get on the site much I have a few of the members that still keep an eye on it for me and let me know if there is an issue.

RJ

you are the man RJ! thank you sir. i started here back in 2010 and still check in from time to time. your equipment and guidance back in the day when i started all of this was crucial. i still have some of your equipment and was about to blow off the dust and start using some ssc's again, just can't beat the distance if the node count is right.   this site allowed me to be where i am now, partner in a 2.5 mile, fully synchronized, RGB show in northern Ky. thanks RJ
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline optykmuse

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, »
Popping in here a whole year later...  Glad to see this site is still planning on sticking around for us hobbyists.  I saw that landolights website is no longer functional although the URL still work, but with just a white screen.  Anyone know what's up with that site?  They had a great repository of Vixen 2.x sequences there that was pretty useful in getting my light shows going.  I just had to adapt some of the sequences to my layout and got things going thanks to all of those shared sequences.
This was a great resource for beginners, as are any of these various forums including DLA.

Offline Tigman009

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, »
I for one was extremely happy to see this site is still up and running. I still run only the Lynx Express and need some troubleshooting tips that i found in the forum. My show wouldn't be running at full capacity this year without it. Thanks RJ!

Offline Maniac

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, »
I'll agree for sure! I had to reset the starting address on my Freestyle, and was glad to see the hex address location hack for it.

Offline Dholley

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, »
Thank you RJ!!! I have been on here many times this year. This site is a great resource for AC and RGB Equipment and more!! I hope to put an Ethernet dongle in play in 2022 and will need this site to do it.

Thank you again RJ and Merry Christmas!

Danny

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, »
Many thanks to you and the whole group.  I learned a lot and have a bunch of your gear to use and build still.  Merry Christmas!
R,
Tony "C"