Author Topic: a few questions?  (Read 3282 times)

Offline joshuashu

a few questions?
« on: July 31, 2009, »
Is the wirless coop done?  If so will i be able to get one of these this year?  What will i need if i am running 4 lynx epress and 3 LOR boards?  can i run the four LE on wirless and daisy chain the lor boxes or can i run them all on wirless?  i am guessing that if i run LSP that i should run the lor boards through their rs485 adaptor and use the dongle for the LE along with wireless.  thank you in advance for not understanding everything here yet i am working on it slowly.  This place is awesome thanks for the great info.

joshua

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: a few questions?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, »
Hi Joshua

I'll try to answer some of the questions:

1 - The wireless coop just got done which is true. Normally after everyone in the coop gets their boards and IF RJ as any left he will offer them up for sale. So after RJ gets back from his trip he can let us know. Of course you will have to order the parts.

2 - The LE controllers can each have a wireless receiver  or just one can be wireless and the other LE's can be wired daisy chain from the first LE (note: First LE pcb has to be ver 3 or higher)

3 - The choice of software is totally up to you. LOR's software, LSP, etc - If you use LOR's software than you need their idmx dongle and then a Lynx Transmitter. If you want to use LSP then you can use either the idmx or Lynx dongle and then a Lynx Transmitter.

I hope that makes some sense and doesn't confuse you

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, »
Joshua,
   The current wireless coop is closed, which means that all the orders have been taken, parts ordered, and will be shipped when they all come in.

Now, it's still possible to get the PCB (printed circuit board) from RJ.  You'll then need to order the parts yourself from an electronics supply firm, like Mouser electronics.  Quantity one parts will be more expensive than if you bought them as part of a coop, but it shouldn't be too bad.

As for connecting your Lynx boards and your LOR boards, you have some choices.  Here's only a few options - there are many more ways to do it.

1.  You can run CAT-5 cable between your computer and each LE and LOR board.  No wireless involved.

2.  You can use wireless from your computer (via a standalone transmitter) to a LE Wireless board, and then run CAT-5 to each other controller in your yard.

3.  You can use transmitter at your computer, and an LE receiver in each LE.  You can run cables from an LE to the LOR controllers.

There's several more combinations.

The question also arises if you plan to use LOR software or Vixen or some other software.  That may change how you connect the LOR controllers and the LE controllers, and which ones can connect to which other ones...

Hopefully, this helps out some.

PS. I see that Rick responded as well...
Mark
Kernersville, NC

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, »
Thank you so much!!!  i am undecided as to what software to use. i have no clue how to use Vixen and i think it will be cheaper to buy lsp and import my sequences from LOR  and use it this way instead of buying the idmx. i know vixen would be even cheaper but i dont know? i am trying to watch the videos of how it works and figure it out, i have never been very good at sequencing but i think i will give it a try.

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, »
I have used light show pro and vixen and can give you some advice.

Vixen was great for a while but I have found that LSP is better for chases and preview setup. LSP is also 10 times better if you get into RGB lights, which is the way the industry is heading. You can also run moving heads and other dmx devices. Setting up the preview is nice as it has templates configured (the mega tree template is very nice).

Support is amazing. The guys at LSP will take your sugestions and make changes to the software. I have had numerous changes that I have requested and they have all been changed. It is a new software so it just keeps getting better.

Brad

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, »
yeah i took the plunge last week and got LSP. i am happy with it ecept for one thing, the Copy paste feature takes like 20 min to do one grid ugghh, very frustrating. other than that i really like, cant wait to get my LE's and play with it a little more.

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, »
So basically to make my LE's wirless i will need i standalone transmitter and 4 LE wirless right?

how do i make my MR16 wireless?

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Check the wiki.  In Equipment, DMX Wireless Devices, Express Receiver, Mod for other Controllers, i.e.,

or use a Standalone Receiver.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, »
Hi Josh
    There are 3 ways to make your MR16 wireless
        a.   External receiver (RX):   plug the MR16 directly into an external receiver  via short cat5 patch cable.
        b.   Le receiver mod (EX/RX Mod):  Replace the RS485 chip on the MR16 board with the moded LE receiver module.    This method meets the "independet / wireless" vision as only power to the MR16 is required to make this work.   Information on the mod is posted in the Wiki You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
        c.   Connect via Cat5 patch cord to Version 3 or later  Lynx Express that already has wireless.  THis is a psudo wireless as you are still connecting by cable to another box in the yard but puts control signals to the box at the lowest cost.

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, »
Thanks for the great info! i am amazed that wirless can be achieved for such a  low cost compared to lor.  plus it is fun to understand how it works and built it yourself.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, »
Glad we made you happy!!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, »
I am amazed that wirless can be achieved for such a  low cost.  plus it is fun to understand how it works and built it yourself.

I couldn't agree more.   ;D
Leon

Offline ron d

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, »
If I run wireless to several dmx devices as a stand alone device, i assume each needs to be terminated correct?
Also been thinking if I have several, as i plan to use my house and at least 3 houses across the street as part of my display , are there things that can cause interference? Just a thought. Power lines, cell phones, cable dishes? or just how many can I run if i try to have more controllers wireless in the future.
Ron