Author Topic: How do I control the MR 16 Controller with IDMX?  (Read 9775 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: How do I control the MR 16 Controller with IDMX?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
But, the IDMX with the LOR DMX-RJ45 adapter is using pins 4,5,6 by default.  Wouldn't you still need to get the data to pins 1,2 to talk to Lynx stuff?

Ok so you are saying he is using a LOR adapter not a regular adapter? then yes this is a issue. I thought he was using a regulare adapter as he said he is running other than LOR equipment on it OK.  OCC are we understand you on the adapter? is it one to run LOR controllers off of a IDMX or is it a standard DMX adapter for other devices. This would make a difference. In the end you need the pins from the IDMX xlr to connect as we show in the wiki but the adapter might be swap stuff around on you. Check it with a ohm meter to see where they are really ending up.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, »
I think this is definitely on the right path. When I power up my MR16 controllers without the presence of DMX, they act in exactly this fashion. That is to say that all MR16s attached power on for approximately 30 seconds or so then go off. If the DMX signal is present then there may be a slight flash if anything. So it would appear you MR16 controller is acting normally.

Leon
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline occhristmas

• Christmas in the O.C.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, »
OK, exact setup from the computer.  I have an LOR usb 485 to the idmx - from here I have modified the cable from the IDMX so that it is a 3 prong male plug to go from the IDMX to the DMX device - I have Orange to xlr pin 2, white orange to pin 3 and brown/brownwhite to pin 1 (this is the male dmx out from the IDMX) and then a standard cat5 plugged into the xlrj45.  This setup works a Chauvet Colorsplash using the IDMX.  However, I need to know what to do to make this work with the lynx.  

RJ is trying to be the voice of reason - and I have been so confused with the documentation out there because it is using a lynx dongle which requires different cable modification.

So it is just straight up IDMX with xlr cable from IDMX to the lynx mr16 controller...

I am working on pictures right now.

Thanks guys!!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, by occhristmas »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, »
OK, Cable should be like the one marked for the Lynx equipment not for the LOR:

The output of the enttec pro is the same as the Idmx output.

the 3 pin xlr are the same pin out as the five pins.

XLR pin 2 to the orange wire which hooks to pin 2 of the RJ45 male.
XLR pin 3 to the white/orange which hooks to pin 1 of the RJ45 male.

Hang in there we will get you going I do not think we have had anyone we could not get lynx equipment going for yet.

RJ

Offline occhristmas

• Christmas in the O.C.
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, »
HOLY manure!!!!  We did it!!!!!!   Thanks so much for your help!  I have a working MR16 with the IDMX.  And, the wirekat mr16s are so much smoother with the MR16 controller...the lights begin to come on at about 18 intensity - so for me, 18 is the magic number.  Woohoo!

So, the problem I had was incorrect wiring.  A modified rj45 (standard rj45 from modified dmx male) through the IDMX using the light o rama test console hardware utility.

I am so happy...thanks for talking me off of the ledge.  You guys are super helpful and supportive.

Edited by RJ for language.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, by RJ »

Offline occhristmas

• Christmas in the O.C.
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, »
So, now that I have done the happy dance - I want to report specifically what had to happen in my situation to get the MR16 controller to work for the wirekat mr16 led spots using the idmx interface from lor (i am not using lor boards or a lynx dongle or lynx express or an entec open dmx or pro).  I am running the LOR hardware utility through the USB485 from LOR to the IDMX (I use D-light boards and I am guessing that the D-light adapter will work as well, but I was not testing for this at this point).  From the IDMX, I modified a standard rj45 cable so that pin 1 = brown/brown white, pin 2 = Orange, pin 3 = Orange/White.  No modification had to be done to the rj45 going into the Lynx MR16 controller.  I have 2 red spots on channel 1, 1 green spot on channel 2, 1 blue spot on channel 3.  I have built pvc "bars" or "strips" so that this resembles the Chauvet colorstrip.  I have 3 sets of these that will uplight the front of the house.  The middle "strip" only has 3 channels (2 R, 1 G, 1 B).

I am using a 300W computer power supply modified as instructed by the posts in this forum. 

Also, the rj45 top connectors are out of stock at Mouser, so I used some that I had already and they work nicely. 

With patience and group support, I hope that my pain is helpful to others who are attempting to mix nonDIY with DIY equipment.  I also have 5 Lynx Express boards coming, so I am looking forward to adding these to the display as well.

One last thing - you will know that you have a working MR16 controller when you send a signal to the board in Program mode and the LED spots kind of shimmer.  Once you see this, you can do the happy dance as well.  Swapping the jumper back to the operate mode will be a happy time for you as well...I had thought I was going to throw bang that jumper in the floor if I did the swapperoo and didn't have dimming lights!!!  But, you guys helped out.  The key is the cable...basically, don't get confused by the dongle documentation.  I think this info can also be updated in the wiki for those looking to run the mr16 controller with the IDMX. 

Again, I appreciate your support! 

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, »
Glad to see that it is working.

Bill

Offline memphislights

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, »
Remember, if you use non-Lynx hardware after the MR-16, you will need to crossover the blue and orange pairs again before the input of the next device.

The following are the pinouts, assuming TIA-568B for the RJ45 end.

* For the Lnyx Equipment
          o XLR Pin 1 (GND) ----> N/C
          o XLR Pin 2 (-ve) ----> RJ45 Pin 2 (Orange)
          o XLR Pin 3 (+ve) ----> RJ45 Pin 1 (White/Orange)
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, »
Great!

The trick to the above statement is that the IDMX is not a LOR device. It might come from lor but it's output is real DMX like the Lynx equipment.

RJ

Offline memphislights

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, »
Great!

The trick to the above statement is that the IDMX is not a LOR device. It might come from lor but it's output is real DMX like the Lynx equipment.

RJ

Yes, but I wasn't really looking at it that deeply.  I was only looking at it strictly from a data line point of view, ie blue vs orange crossed over.

Either way, it is working.

I'll throw a note in the LOR section of the WIKI.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, by memphislights »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, »
My point is that you are correct in that if we can get people to not think of the IDMX as a lor device the rule of thumb works great! Anytime you change from a lynx to lor or lor to lynx you use a modified cable the rest of the time you use a striaght through one. Lynx to other DMX devices is also striaght through. LOR is the odd man out.

RJ

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, »
So, now that I have done the happy dance

So happy to hear you got it working.

Now the only thing to do following tour show this season is make a post at PC while the LOR demand is still hot.    ;)

Just think how many channels you can get here from the money you get for your LOR stuff over there.     ;D
Just kidding. Always glad to hear the success stories of this nature. Appreciate the follow-up as well.

Leon

P.S. - If you don't mind, would like it if you could share (Pics) what you are using for MR16 spot enclosures. Always interested in what others have come up with.  :)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline memphislights

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, »
Hey, I added a graphical representation in color for each of the connection types.  It is pretty basic, not super pretty.

Can you take a look at it and see if it makes sense to anyone else but me?

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, »
Great job on the WIKI addition...   even I can understand it.. 

Hey, I added a graphical representation in color for each of the connection types.  It is pretty basic, not super pretty.

Can you take a look at it and see if it makes sense to anyone else but me?

3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, »
That is Awesume thanks I think that will help everyone when going from one to the other.

RJ