Author Topic: Using an Arduino for DMX control?  (Read 8296 times)

Offline Night Owl

Using an Arduino for DMX control?
« on: August 16, 2009, »
Has anyone used an Arduino to control your Christmas lighting?  I'm thinking about creating a mega tree this year but was not intending to sequence it to music.  I simply wanted to have it flash different patterns.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Using an Arduino for DMX control?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Been playing a bit with the Arduino units.  The information for the DMX controllers there is in the Playground on the Arduino web site.  If you haven't seen it.  There are limitations, of course.  A microcontroller without computer input has a limited memory and thus, limited sequences.   Unless you start adding extra memory, etc.  But, without having to sync to music, you could actually have quite a lot of outputs, etc., depending on the model of Arduino, or clone.

Some of the Christmas toys use various controller methods, basically the same.  Just have to decide how complicated you want to get.  A pic could do the same thing, or a non-Arduino bootloader micro.  The Arduino just makes the programming quite a bit easier.

I'll be using the Lynx units on most things.  Higher channel counts are easier that way.  I haven't seen anyone using the Arduino system for more than just a few channels.

Keith

"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline memphislights

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, »
I think that RJ suggested (not firm) that he was working on a Lynx module that would work standalone without a PC.  I don't know when he will get it done though.  So if you can wait, it may be worth it.  it should be interesting.

It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think that RJ suggested (not firm) that he was working on a Lynx module that would work standalone without a PC.  I don't know when he will get it done though.  So if you can wait, it may be worth it.  it should be interesting.

The Conductor is planned for next year but of course no guarantees

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, »
Once I figure out a plan on raising the center pole of the mega tree, then I'll start on the controller.  I saw the DMX page on the Playground and I thought I saw another site that had different design, but unfortunately I didn't bookmark it and I can't find it again.  I hadn't considered the memory limitations.  However as I my current plan is to start off simple, I'm hoping this won't be an issue.  Then again, most of my project start out small then end up taking over.   ;D  

Thanks for the info on the Conductor.  I am impressed by the other Lynx devices and a standalone unit would be exciting. 

Offline memphislights

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, »
doityourselfchristmas has info on a helix, but it is not DMX.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

The other design you saw may have been the one that makes the Arduino into an Open DMX type controller.  But I would always use a Lynx Dongle for that purpose, to avoid the timing issues, etc.  If you have to plug into a computer, you might as well have its full power available, imho.  There are a few other sites out there but they all basically use the same design otherwise.

The mega tree or other projects usually need ac light controllers, something the Lynx Express or DMX (or FreeStyle) SSR4s have already worked out.  You have to figure out the Arduino to ac connections otherwise.  Or use a MR16 controller for dc lights. 

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, »
What is and Arduino?  Never heard of it.  And it is not listed in the wiki.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Other projects is the place for this, because it's not a Lynx project, it's a project found elsewhere in cyberspace.  It's simply some of the avr microcontroller chips with a preprogrammed bootloader, allowing it to be programmed in a C type language.  Useful for quick simple projects and prototyping.

Keith

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, »
The Arduino is a little smaller than a deck of cards and is open source, meaning anyone can program it or design hardware interfaces.  My intent is to build a DMX shield (a board that plugs into the Arduino) and use that to run a DMX dimmer box (or maybe a Lynx Express).  This way I don't have to keep a computer running.

I have the Arduino already and it looks like the DMX shield will run me maybe $20.  I think I can borrow a few dimmer boxes.  I keep telling myself that this won't cost TOO much, but the price for the hardware for the tree is climbing and I'm going to have to make a decision on lighting: LED or incandescent.

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, »
I know this is somewhat of an old topic, but I'd definitely suggest you go the LED route for a megatree.

Nothing wrong with incandescents, but the longevity and basic indestructibility of LEDs will go a long way to making your life easier and simpler for a large tree.

Using mini's will be much cheaper, but the color fade, light breakage, and similar factors will mean that you'll be replacing individual lights or whole strings of mini's much more often.

I've had my megatree with the same LED strings for 3 years.  3 colors, 16 segments 12' tall.  Due to several factors, the tree has even fallen over (it's free standing, not a buried center pole) and the strings all still work.  I've put it up and taken it down 3 times without worrying about broken bulbs or color issues.  It looks as good when lit as it was 3 years ago.
Mark
Kernersville, NC

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, »
I know this is somewhat of an old topic, but I'd definitely suggest you go the LED route for a megatree.

I was planning on going with LEDs and have been doing some research on them.  I've used them in the past but they have failed pretty quickly.   One set didn't make it through one season.  The cause was the LED leads corroding off.  It was probably due to the dissimilar metals of the LED leads and the copper contacts of the string creating a galvanic reaction.  The answer looks like sealed LED sets.

I just gotta find them...

Offline voyageurs60

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, »

Seems to be some interest for this item... running constant displays

Post back to new thread...  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Dan
Light in Peace - voyageurs60 (Dan)