Author Topic: 99 days  (Read 14718 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: 99 days
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2009, »
Six of the Georgia Mafia got together at Larry's flood house to put up a tree in the yard.  The flood waters came to around the top of the second level of the tree.  Here are a couple of pictures.  It is just short of 30 ft to the top of the star.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2009, »
Wow!  We're talking MEGA tree here!

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline foodseller

• Celebrating CHRISTmas-one light at a time!
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2009, »
Wow, that sure looks like nice weather!  I was putting my mega-tree (not nearly as nice as that one btw!) today and was putting it up in a snowstorm!  wow what fun.....lol
Up to three channels now!!! Flashlight in each hand and one on my hat!

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2009, »
Yes I was a tree Hugger ...

Jim you didn't say that after about 6 pieces of topiary on we found we had 2 of the frame pieces in wrong.  Where Chris is standing,  That piece to the left of him is supposed to be on the opposite side.

After much discussion and a few wedges place in the right place we took it out, removed the piece that was supposed to go there and swapped them around. Larry walked away as we were about going to do it saying "I don't want to see this"

Did you get a picture of that?

A side note.  When I left that evening, we had it lit ... takes just around 50 amps to light it up.

Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline Cobergas

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, »
Yeah that build was awesome.. I had to overcome my fears of height QUICKLY walking around on that tree infrastructure all day was a blast though!!

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2009, »
Lights are on here, so Monday it is back to some rest and relaxation at work. 

Had a few minor cliches that were solved but all in all the meter is spining and the laights are flashing to music ... Can't beat that.

already handed out about 300 candy canes. I hand out candy canes to get a guest count and I visit with the folks. 

Tonight is a little slow but Georgia is playing Georgia tonight with a late game start.     

Hats off to RJ and crew .... without wireless we couldn't get across the street which is a total awe for the folks that visit.
Merry Lightmass

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2009, »
So Out of the 60 DIY components we added this year.

I had 6 LEs that needed TLC, One bad transformer, one with the 485s in backwards and the rest with the 3.3 volt issue resolved with the Jumper wire mod. 

We also have 3 180 ohm resistors fried with no load on them on different controllers.  I was lucky to see 2 of them go .... they released their magic smoke right in front of my eyes.  It was a sight to see.  I need to replace them once everything is completed.   you can tell they are gone by the morphing to a all black color. 

I had a faulty transmitter I haven't got to the bench yet. 

An antenna issue where when a car drove up the wireless signal was interrupted, I fixed that by raising the antenna up above the SUV height.

Merry Lightmass

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2009, »
Although people are loving it, I am seeing where we need a little tweaking, everyday it looks better and better and occasionally people mention, hey you changed it all ... I say NAH I just fixed it the way it is suppose to be.

I am crying uncle on this project. I am going to call it too many ... Although I would never have thought it was possible.

.. 7 Houses, 1/4 million lights, now going into 800 channels, 60 odd circuits, now above 60 Controllers between wireless, SSRs Lynx and LOR.   Is just too friggin big ... BUT very Impressive when you look down the street and all you can see is Lights blinking and flashing. 

RJ you would be proud ... Laughing ... 

Merry Lightmass

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Although people are loving it, I am seeing where we need a little tweaking, everyday it looks better and better and occasionally people mention, hey you changed it all ... I say NAH I just fixed it the way it is suppose to be.

I am crying uncle on this project. I am going to call it too many ... Although I would never have thought it was possible.

.. 7 Houses, 1/4 million lights, now going into 800 channels, 60 odd circuits, now above 60 Controllers between wireless, SSRs Lynx and LOR.   Is just too friggin big ... BUT very Impressive when you look down the street and all you can see is Lights blinking and flashing. 

RJ you would be proud ... Laughing ... 

I'm am sure I would be!  I would love to see it and talk is underway to do so but it is a 24 hour drive round trip so it is hard. I know how hard it is to keep our show going the last two years with failed lights and thing coming lose, ect. I wondered what it would be like with a show that big.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2009, »
BTW!!!!

VIDEO IS NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2009, »
So Out of the 60 DIY components we added this year.

I had 6 LEs that needed TLC, One bad transformer, one with the 485s in backwards and the rest with the 3.3 volt issue resolved with the Jumper wire mod. 

We also have 3 180 ohm resistors fried with no load on them on different controllers.  I was lucky to see 2 of them go .... they released their magic smoke right in front of my eyes.  It was a sight to see.  I need to replace them once everything is completed.   you can tell they are gone by the morphing to a all black color. 

I had a faulty transmitter I haven't got to the bench yet. 

An antenna issue where when a car drove up the wireless signal was interrupted, I fixed that by raising the antenna up above the SUV height.

Bill on the ones that the 180 ohm resistors fried I can tell you what causes this. The only thing that will put enough load on them to do this is if the solder joint on the triac has some resistence and then it will put a large load on the resistors and make this happen. So when you replace them hit the joints on the triac and high voltage side of the optos again. That will fix it.

RJ

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2009, »
Would looooove to see some video, I bet it is awesome.
R,
Tony "C"

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2009, »
I spent my money on LEs ... LAUGHING. 

I have a few new Vid cams here to try out, and I have the one I used at the mini, but I am not sure how well it works.  I might pick up a  hand held this week.   I need to pick up some connectors for the security cams I have on the shelf. 
We will get some video some how. 

Still working through the last few controller issues.   

here is some tease pictures

The penquins are in the middle of decorating this house you can almost make them out on the ladder ...

The other is Candyland. Each Yard has its own theme

Merry Lightmass

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2009, »
Very Cool!

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2009, »
Very Nice,

How big are those arches?

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required