Author Topic: stand offs  (Read 5930 times)

Offline joshuashu

stand offs
« on: August 27, 2009, »
can anyone recommend a mouser part number for standoffs for the LE boards? 

thanks

joshua

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: stand offs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, »
Hi Joshua,

If you are mounting the LE to the recommended case

two options:
1 - cut off the extra bosses
2 - get plastic washers at a hardware store or like home depot type store

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, »
i will be mounting 2 in the recommended enclosures but 3 will be in others that i have already and i need some more stand offs for other projects.  i went to radio shack and frys and both didnt have any.  the guy at radio shack didnt even know what they were.  they have become a shame and should change their name, remember when you could get all kinds of electronics stuff at radio shack?   sorry i was ranting, so that is why i am looking for some from mouser.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, »
You might consider visiting a hardware store and asking for "nylon spacers" -- my local ACE carries them in the same area as its loose nuts, washers and screws.

Also at the hardware store are "light masonry plastic plugs." This box in my hand is from Crown Bolt and they come in a variety of standard screw sizes, i.e., No. 10. I glue them into the bottom of plastic boxes and then use a machine screw to attach the board.

Best o' luck.

\dmc

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, »
I have also used very small diameter flexible plastic tubing such as used for hooking up an icemaker.  Lowes or Home Depot or even the local hardware store should have some.  In short lengths and a diameter not much bigger than the screw you are using in them seem to be strong enough.  Just do not over tighten the screws.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline magic8192

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, »
I used a rotary rasp drill bit to grind off the stand offs that I didn't need.  It went pretty quick.

Offline REM

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, »
I needed a lot myself and went to Lowes to price out nylon spacers.  It was too much and the supply wasn't good enough.  So, I found Pex tubing.  It's perfect.  It's a plumbing type tubing with a pretty thick wall - just right for this application.  A giant 6 or 8 foot piece costs nothing and you'll have enough spacers for about a kazillion controllers.  Get you one of those razor-blade cutters too.  

p.s. If you happen to try a forstner bit to drill down standoffs, be careful.  They bite really hard! A spade bit probably works better.

--Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, »
I needed a lot myself and went to Lowes to price out nylon spacers.  It was too much and the supply wasn't good enough.  So, I found Pex tubing.  It's perfect.  It's a plumbing type tubing with a pretty thick wall - just right for this application.  A giant 6 or 8 foot piece costs nothing and you'll have enough spacers for about a kazillion controllers.  Get you one of those razor-blade cutters too.  

p.s. If you happen to try a forstner bit to drill down standoffs, be careful.  They bite really hard! A spade bit probably works better.

--Ron

Yeah specially if you modify the spade bit and make it an LE stand off remover bit! Right JJ  ;D

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, »
I used flat faucet washers. They're hard enough to support the board when screws are compressing them, stackable, cheap, and available all over the place. Better hurry, though, since the advent of washerless faucets, they might start getting hard to find in a few decades. They're non-conductive also.

steve

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, »
I like using a step bit it stops are the perfect height.

Bill

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, »
I use the icemaker tubing also - the nice thing is that you can compress it a bit and it helps keep tension on the screw. And yeah - - the price is definitely right!

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, »
I also went with the ice maker tubing.  Got it at Lowe's for 16 cents a foot.  Bought 2 feet for 32 cents and sliced it into 1/4" slices with a razor blade.  2 feet made more then I needed.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, »
If you are in a rush and don't have the tubing handy, you can also use the body of a Bic pen...
/mike

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, »
what is/are standoffs? How is it used?

Thanks!

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, »

The recommended case has 7 or 8 raised boss's that require removal or the use of spacers so the circuit board sits in the case flat. The spacers are used to raise the circuit board away from the case, just remember to use a longer #8 X 3/4 screw instead of the recommended #8 X 1/2 to compensate for the 1/4" thickness of the spacer.