Author Topic: stand offs  (Read 5931 times)

Offline salongaopm

Re: stand offs
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, »
Thank you very much for the informations! Greatly appreciated.

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, »
Standoffs are spacers.  The Lynx Express has 2 nuts holding on the heat sink.  When you put the finished pcb in the case it does not set flush.  I used 4 - 1/4" slices of tubing to hold the pcb circuit board 1/4" higher.  This way the board can set level in the case and the nuts on the bottom side are held slightly higher.

Look at the pictures a few posts above this one.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, »
That's all I did. I'm on my phone so I can't see the pic. but following RJ's instruction the express logically fits four of the standoffs perfectly. All others are not needed. Just get a large drill bit and knock down the ones not needed with a drill and that's it!!!

Leon 
Leon

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, »
That's all I did. I'm on my phone so I can't see the pic. but following RJ's instruction the express logically fits four of the standoffs perfectly. All others are not needed. Just get a large drill bit and knock down the ones not needed with a drill and that's it!!!

Leon 

<wd..

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, »

Try You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or if you are near sacramento ca they have a store there.

R,
Tony "C"
R,
Tony "C"

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, »
Alan,     <res.
Not knocking anything you've done and do appreciate the attempt to help. You've been around a while and I respect you. Now that you've already spent the money I totally understand your desire to make it worth your investment. Ultimately, it is yours and so the path that you choose to take that makes you happy is the path you "should" take.

To all others I'll simply say this, The case comes with standoffs. No need to buy anything extra. In reality the only standoffs that need to be drilled are the ones that will get in the way (the ones taller than the ones needed to mount your express) In total there are only appox. 8 or so and they take a total of about 2 min to knock down with a drill. (it's plastic,... like a knife through butter) Plus in the end it will take you more time to use/install those extra standoffs.
Like I said though it's yours and if you like the ones you bought than thats what you should do. Last season I used my dremel to etch the letters on the heat sink. I can't be sure, but I think I was the only one. A lot of time invested? you bet. Was it worth it? Depends on your taste but to me the bare aluminum name really popped against the iodized red of the heatsink. It's all up to you and nobody is wrong. Just different.

Leon
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, »
using a drill or other device "remove" or grind down 30+ of the built in mounting "bosses" or standoffs which could take lets say 20 - 30 minutes per case

You are off by at least a factor of 10.  I suspect I could do 10 cases in 20 minutes total.  It actually almost takes more time to be sure that you are not taking off the needed bosses than it takes to remove all the unneeded bosses..
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, »
Now Boys.....

To each his own.   <pop..
My 2010 Videos

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, »
Does not matter either way. It takes little time to do either way so no matter how you do it,  just do it.  <wd..

RJ

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, »
My humble apologies.  It was not my intent to upset anyone.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, »
Here is a method that I would not recommend.
I spent 2 minutes grinding off the unneeded bosses using a dremel tool with a grinding bit and an hour cleaning up the static charged plastic dust that stuck to everything. Not one of my best ideas. Luckily I was home alone and there were no witnesses.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline crazybob

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, »
Here is a method that I would not recommend.
I spent 2 minutes grinding off the unneeded bosses using a dremel tool with a grinding bit and an hour cleaning up the static charged plastic dust that stuck to everything. Not one of my best ideas. Luckily I was home alone and there were no witnesses.

John

Except now we ALL know....   >:D

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, »

I do not think you upset anyone. People can be passionate about they way of doing thinks but that is a long way from upset. There are many ways to do it. I agree that drilling them down is no biggy but stand offs work great also. To each his own and it is great our members speak up if they think they have a better way.

RJ

Offline rm357

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, »
I want to thank Rainlover for his brutal honesty. I enjoyed a good hearty laugh and know what NOT to do... I was considering the dremel, but not anymore...
RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, »

Not at all Alan. It was not my intent to make you feel that way either.

I do not think you upset anyone. People can be passionate about they way of doing thinks but that is a long way from upset. There are many ways to do it. I agree that drilling them down is no biggy but stand offs work great also. To each his own and it is great our members speak up if they think they have a better way.

RJ

Thanks RJ         You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Leon