Author Topic: stand offs  (Read 5932 times)

Offline tpctech

Re: stand offs
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, »
Keystone electronics  (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) has a big selection of metal and nylon spacers available at Digikey and Mouser (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

Good luck

KEN

Offline animationclips

• new sport
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, »
Hey

Can u tell me  what is standoffs? And how can we use it?

Thanks!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, »
Standoffs are the raised bumps molded in the bottom of the case that the pcb is mounted to.  See the picture below.
They can also be separate metal or plastic spacers that do the same thing.

Hope I made sense.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, »

A standoff is used in electronics to separate two parts from one another. Standoffs can be many shapes and sizes and made of many different materials. Insulating standoffs may keep two parts from touching each other, thereby preventing an electronic short. .

Long Branch Saloon
shoot-outs, gunfights and standoffs often associated with the then-wild cattle town, the most famous of which was the Long Branch Saloon

Falklands Crisis (1770)
The Falklands Crisis of 1770 was a diplomatic standoff between Britain and Spain over possession of the Falkland Islands in the South

Capitulation of Irvine
The Capitulation of Irvine was the first military stand-off of the Wars of Scottish Independence . Event: In 1297, the nobles of Scotland

I think the first one is what is need the others are just ... well they are interesting.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline meman

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, »
I'm a major cheapskate so I tried drilling down the extra standoffs at first, but it took more time than I cared for and created a huge mess. Though I've used the snippets of nylon tubing for other projects in the past, my first instinct for mounting this board was 1/4" hard rubber faucet washers. They're only a couple of bucks retail at the home stores, or you can find a bag of them at flea markets for next to nothing. I'll attach a pic with a couple of washers sitting on the spare standoffs above the board.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, by meman »

Offline animationclips

• new sport
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, »
I am using 4 - 1/4" slices of tubing to hold the pcb circuit board 1/4" higher.  This way the board can set level in the case and the nuts on the bottom side are held slightly higher.