Author Topic: Cords  (Read 1601 times)

Offline abell

Cords
« on: August 31, 2009, »
I have a seen a few posts on getting extension cords for the expresses. I just wanted to know if anyone has found better dealers for cords that have a bare in on one end (to go into the express board) and the female on the other for the Christmas lights.

Adam

Offline Randy_A

• Lockport Lights
Re: Cords
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, »
Adam,

I use spt1 and sockets from action lighting. I only have one string on each channel, so I don't have to worry about to much power. I have also bought cords from the dollar store, and cut the ends off.

Just another option.

Randy

Offline magic8192

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I got these,  you can email them for a bulk quote.  I think I got mine for .74 each which after the shipping worked out to about .99 each.     The shipping was a little pricey, but I am satisfied with the cords. 

Offline memphislights

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, »

It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, »
I have used extension cords from several local sources, all for less than $1 each.  What I have not found is two wire 14ga power cords to use for the input power for the LE's.  Everything I find at 14ga is 3 wire cord, which I can use.  But just seems wasteful and there is no connection in the LE to connect the ground wire and would appear to be just a waste of time.  I have not even located any two wire 14 ga cords on the web except for 15ft and 100 ft light duty extension cords.  I like the idea of a heavier duty input cord even though I am not planning to pull that much power per side.  Currently I am using 16ga spt2 extension cords with the end cut off.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, »
I have used extension cords from several local sources, all for less than $1 each.  What I have not found is two wire 14ga power cords to use for the input power for the LE's.  Everything I find at 14ga is 3 wire cord, which I can use.  But just seems wasteful and there is no connection in the LE to connect the ground wire and would appear to be just a waste of time.  I have not even located any two wire 14 ga cords on the web except for 15ft and 100 ft light duty extension cords.  I like the idea of a heavier duty input cord even though I am not planning to pull that much power per side.  Currently I am using 16ga spt2 extension cords with the end cut off.

At that guage, it makes sense that all you're finding is 3 cunductor cable. Typically you won't need the ground unless your installing your LE inside a metal enclosure. Most just cut it off close to the insulation and then give a quick pull on the insulation and the ground just disappears insde along with your worries of it not being used. ;)

Leon
Leon

Offline brandonj

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, »
I was planning on using the 3ft cables from iofast, but they are now discontinued (from everywhere - i've called around).  Because of this, I ended up using your regular SPT2 extension cords.  I am glad i did that, because i now have 6 foot cords coming out of the LE - this way i won't have to use so many extension cords when I set everything up.

The long cords make the LE a little more bulky and heavy, but that's not a big deal to me.  Just makes storage a little more difficult.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, »
I posted earlier about some 12 ga cords from Harbor Freight if you have one near.  It is what I am doing anyway.  Might be able to do mail order too.  Here is the link to the posting.

HIH,
-Keith