Author Topic: programming project  (Read 2406 times)

Offline marsjoseph

programming project
« on: September 03, 2009, »
Im working on a school project at SELU with three other people. We are interested in writing a program for windows that gives the user an easy to use GUI to synchronize their Christmas lights. I know there is currently software out their but we intend to produce a product of our own.

I need some help getting pointed in the right direction because currently I have no idea how I will get my custom program to operate with hardware. My light show will be VERY small scale and I am interested in getting the hardware working in the quickest way possible that will still allow me to integrate my software into it.

Anyone have any pointers or at least a good place to start researching on learning how to get my custom PC software to produce a light show that the hardware can use?!?!?!?

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: programming project
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

You may be in for a bit of a learning curve.  First, you may want to decide what hardware to use.  That determines you output requirements for the software.  We use DMX here, mostly.  You may want to learn a bit about it.  Plenty of sites with info on it..

Good luck.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline lortiz

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, »

What kind of hardware do you have ? DMX ? Grinch? Other?

That's the first thing we need to know if we are to provide any help.

Leo

Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Im working on a school project at SELU with three other people. We are interested in writing a program for windows that gives the user an easy to use GUI to synchronize their Christmas lights. I know there is currently software out their but we intend to produce a product of our own.

Can I make a case for *not* doing this? ;) ...

While I understand what you're shooting for -- a fun project to learn more about programming -- the world now has at least two Windows-based applications that do this across a variety of controller platforms (one is commercial, one is free -- not open source, just freely distributed).

What the world doesn't have is the same type of application on another operating system. The freely distributed application -- Vixen -- was developed under .NET and those underpinnings mean that it will never be ported to another OS. You can't run it under WINE or any WINE-like environment on Linux.

There are a number of us who support Windows only because we want to do Christmas lights. I bet we would be willing to help out a college-age crew if it were developed for a Linux or (better yet) Macintosh platform. I can't speak for everybody, but if your professor would be willing to contact me, I'd loan you a controller so that you wouldn't have to build much hardware. We could probably drum up a spare DMX dongle for you as well.

But for another Windows app? I'd be less motivated.

Nonetheless, best o' luck.

\dmc

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, »
I would definitely be interested in a Linux variant.  Less so a Mac, but there are probably some common elements that would fit both platforms...
Mark
Kernersville, NC
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline REM

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, »
You could always write it in Java but I can tell you from experience GUI development in Java ain't no fun!