Author Topic: LED Display On Backorder  (Read 3402 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: LED Display On Backorder
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Should we start a list of backup part numbers at least for things which are commonly out of stock?

That would be good for me.  While I bought complete kits thru co-ops I also bought some extra boards since one can never be sure of the timely availability of boards should I decide to expand.  Well, based on how well what I have is working, I want to expand and I am trying to get together a parts order for Mouser.  Do a single board type at a time is easy, but trying to combine board types in a single order is hard.  I've now built a spreadsheet where I can input the number and type of boards I want and it will tell me what to order, but I still do not know what to do about backordered items since I am not knowledge able about electrical designs and part characteristics.  However, I can solder and follow directions as evidenced by the all equipment I do have that work good.

I'm still having fun even without the B/O problems.

Jim
Kennesaw, GA
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, »
Should we start a list of backup part numbers at least for things which are commonly out of stock?

I would rather we didn't. While it seems a great idea for all of those people that have been around a while and understand everything it will be a point of confusion for all the new people as to ... Do I need this one, or this one?

I will be happy to help someone out if it is a big issue to wait for the correct part but the more mixes the more problems. Look at just what a revision change to the pic has caused me in the last 3 weeks.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, »
I agree with RJ regarding programmable parts like PICs or even insertable chips, but with static parts like sockets, capacitors, rectifiers, power adapters, LEDs, etc.. I think having an alternate brand is a good idea.  Especially for guys like me who can read a spec sheet, but still not understand it and definitely not be able to pick an alternate with confidence.  Maybe we are just in a bad time slot where things are short and this won't happen again, but then again.......
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, »
  Maybe we are just in a bad time slot where things are short and this won't happen again, but then again.......

No I think it is a case of it is getting close to lights on and some of the over 1000 pcb only orders for the express shipped this year are being built.
Then again remember the wireless uses many of the same parts so maybe its the over 1000 wireless pcbs put out in the one coop being built. Or both I guess.

RJ

Offline Tigman009

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, »
I ordered the other LED displays and they do not work.  They are two wide to fit all three.  PN 604-SA43-11GWA.  I guess I will wait for the backorder.

mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, »
I ordered the other LED displays and they do not work.  They are two wide to fit all three.  PN 604-SA43-11GWA.  I guess I will wait for the backorder.

mike

Really!  I thought they were the same on socket size from the data sheet. Sorry, I should know better than tell anyone to use a subsitute part. And we need to learn to be more patient as every change always brings problems. Thats one of the reasons I prefer to use the same known to work items. Of course I have no control over ANY certain not to be named manufactor (microchip!) changing their product and causing issues.

RJ

Offline Tigman009

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, »
As my Mother always says, patients is a virtue.  Too bad I didn't take her advise and realize that Mom always knows best.

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, »
I have some Green ones I can send you as I use RED displays.
How many are you looking for?

Bill

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, »
Well I got my order of parts in and compared the two LED parts.  I ordered mine before Mike had posted about the size problem.  Attached is a photo to show you how really different they are.

Thanks to Bill Buehler who had some spares and sent them to me.   Anyone have a project needing larger LEDs???

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA