Author Topic: 25mS vs 50mS  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
25mS vs 50mS
« on: September 12, 2009, »
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to modify/use a few of last years sequences @ 25mS for this years show. I'm using the same profile, (512 ch's) with 192 being used, to accommodate this years ch count. (192 ch's, 2 houses)
At 25mS I have to run only one adjustable preview at a time, and the timing is still slightly off. At 50mS I can run both previews simultaneously with no visible slowdown of the timing or the computer.
Using the same laptop, Vixen 2.1 (same as last year).
Any thoughts on why last years sequence  @ 25mS bogs down my machine. It ran fine last year on my laptop and the show machine.

Thanks in advance,
Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
Re: 25mS vs 50mS
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, »
At 25ms vs 50 ms your machine has twice the work to do. (Things to keep track of) What kind of CPU/ clock speed are you running on either the Show machine and/or laptop? You might have to find a faster machine to not see a difference.
Leon

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, »
Hey Leon,

My laptop runs at 2.0 GHz. Haven't checked the show machine.

Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, »
Wow! Well thats plenty fast. What kind of sequence? Is it really busy when it boggs down or is it basically sluggish all the time?

Is it necessary to run at 25 ms? Just curious.

Leon
Leon

Offline REM

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, »
Watch the task manager performance window while it runs (Ctrl-Shift-Esc).  See how the CPU does while it runs.  If it's up above about 75% you're probably asking too much of it.  Also make sure Vixen and your show are not running from virtual memory (disk) by shutting down everything else - foreground or background processes. 

--Ron

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow! Well thats plenty fast. What kind of sequence? Is it really busy when it boggs down or is it basically sluggish all the time?

Leon

It's a pretty busy sequence. The machine bogs down 20 sec or so into the seq just as it  gets more busy.
Not sure about changing the timing to 50ms now. Pretty sure it would screw things up.

Brad

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, »
Watch the task manager performance window while it runs (Ctrl-Shift-Esc).  See how the CPU does while it runs.  If it's up above about 75% you're probably asking too much of it.  Also make sure Vixen and your show are not running from virtual memory (disk) by shutting down everything else - foreground or background processes. 

--Ron

Ron,

I'll try that and see.

Brad

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, »

Leon

It's a pretty busy sequence. The machine bogs down 20 sec or so into the seq just as it  gets more busy.
Not sure about changing the timing to 50ms now. Pretty sure it would screw things up.

Brad

Just copy the sequence file and put in in a safe spot. (another directory, jump drive etc) then you can play to your hearts content. If it screws up just put your copy back and you're where you started.
Leon

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, »
Wow! Well that's plenty fast. What kind of sequence? Is it really busy when it boggs down or is it basically sluggish all the time?

Leon

It's a pretty busy sequence. The machine bogs down 20 sec or so into the seq just as it  gets more busy.

Brad

Just copy the sequence file and put in in a safe spot. (another directory, jump drive etc) then you can play to your hearts content. If it screws up just put your copy back and you're where you started.

Yeah, I always try to remember to back a file up before I start tweaking it. (Not always so though)
What I meant about screwing it up was the timing will be off and I'll pretty much have to re-sequence. If that's the case, I might as well start over with new a 50ms seq.
Guess I'll have to try it and see how far off it puts the timing. Maybe it won't be as hard to fix/adjust as I think.
Just trying to save a little time...cause as usual, I'm running behind. It's mid Sept. and I only have 2 seq (mostly) done. Still have to test 2 bds, and test all the wireless (built but not yet tested), mount 4 controllers in enclosers,  and oh yeah, did I mention build 3, 7ch arches??

Brad

Offline Greg

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, »

--Ron

I ran into a similar problem pre-season last year on the show computer (2 Ghz Intel dual, Vista 32, Vixen 2.09), not sure exactly what fixed it but I disabled the indexing service, cleaned extraneous things out of the task scheduler and disabled real time virus scanning and poof ...hesitation gone ran whole season with no hangs no issues other than the task scheduler refused to start vixen with a priority other than "low" (which ultimately proved a non-issue but still annoying).

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, »

--Ron

I ran into a similar problem pre-season last year on the show computer (2 Ghz Intel dual, Vista 32, Vixen 2.09), not sure exactly what fixed it but I disabled the indexing service, cleaned extraneous things out of the task scheduler and disabled real time virus scanning and poof ...hesitation gone ran whole season with no hangs no issues other than the task scheduler refused to start vixen with a priority other than "low" (which ultimately proved a non-issue but still annoying).

Greg

Hmmmm My show computer never surfs the net. No need for Virus software.
That'll kill the performance on any machine. Cause hesitation etc.

Good call Greg!

Leon
Leon

Offline Greg

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, »
Leon,

Mine doesn't either but it does have wireless N networking which is mostly turned off except when I need to print from it or do a back up to the server and there's always a remote possibility someone else in the house might plug a flash drive into it without my knowledge so off season it does run virus protection.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....