Author Topic: Pickit2 with J1sys.com sockets  (Read 3792 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Pickit2 with J1sys.com sockets
« on: September 18, 2009, »
Finally figured what I had to do to use the zif sockets to program the pics.  I kept getting errors in the Pickit2 programmer.  Could not find much information on jumper wires or what to do when using the sockets from Josuha 1 Systems (j1sys.com).  I looked on the DLA site, the Microchip site and the j1sys site and never found information that would get this novice moving forward.  At any rate on this web page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login you should find the chip that you are trying to program, note the group letter it is under and put jumpers on those labeled jumper pairs.  For example  The Pic 18F1220 that is used in the SSR4 is a group D, so put put jumpers on each jumper pair with a D label under it on the adapter that this chip fits in.   For the Pic 24FJ32... that is used in the LE and wireless it is under group N so put a jumper on each location where there is an N.  After getting the jumpers on I could program and verify both types of chips using this setup.  And yes I know I can do the LE on the LE board so don't reply about that.  This is about using the ZIF adapter sockets.

There should probably be something about this put into the WIKI.

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Pickit2 with J1sys.com sockets
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, »
Sounds like a plan Jim

Be my guest to add it to the wiki

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, »

Be my guest to add it to the wiki

Rick R.

I'm willing to try that, just need to learn how and it probably won't happen for a few days/  Calendar is to full right now.

Jim
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline wbe12345

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, »
Guys

I just started to get into programming myself. I will admit that I was starting to get confused. I read your links did a little research and found a manual product by J1sys for his sockets.

It is the following:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope this helps ???

Wallace    wbe12345

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, »
Good find.  that is the first thing that I have seen that specifically says to put the jumpers on the appropriate pins and even then he doesn't say that until the very end of the document.  There is still a lot of stuff there that has no meaning to me like VCAP and VDD.  I have no idea what any of that means.  I for one need a nice cook book that says do this then do that, etc.

Guys

I just started to get into programming myself. I will admit that I was starting to get confused. I read your links did a little research and found a manual product by J1sys for his sockets.

It is the following:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope this helps ???

Wallace    wbe12345

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lortiz

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, »

I bought adapter set from J1SYS and 28 pin adapter will not work with the 24FJ family of PICs with the provided jumper headers. You have to mod the adapter to make it to work with this family of PICS.

I sent a support request to J1SYS through their forum but have not received answer so far (more than a week ago).

Leo
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Can you not use the built in ICSP headers for programming?  Or are you having another issue?

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, »
I just programmed and verified four 24FJ PICs that I just got from mouser.  Did you put jumpers on all the headers that have an  N under them.  See picture.

I bought adapter set from J1SYS and 28 pin adapter will not work with the 24FJ family of PICs with the provided jumper headers. You have to mod the adapter to make it to work with this family of PICS.

I sent a support request to J1SYS through their forum but have not received answer so far (more than a week ago).

Leo

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lortiz

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, »

After connecting jumpers for the N group (as per the adapter manual) and installing the recommended capacitor (not provided by J1SYS) , I traced the pins in the board to the ICSP header and they do not match recommended programming settings (see RJ's redneck adapter You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) for this device family and the PICKit2 does not recognize the PIC micro.

I used one of the EX/RX wireless board as my 28 pin programming adapter and PICKit2 immediately recognizes the PIC24FJ32GA002 and I was able to re-flash it with no problem.

Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, »
I would be interested to see what happens if you take the capacitor off.  I did not have one and everything appears to be fine.  But then I have yet to stick them in a board yet since I just got the parts and have not built them yet.  Once I get cleaned up from my wet basement I can put a new Pic in one of my existing LEs and try the chips out that I did program using the zif sockets.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA