Author Topic: SSR4 w/ DMX issue  (Read 2077 times)

Offline sirwesley

• Sirwesley.com
SSR4 w/ DMX issue
« on: September 22, 2009, »
I have "sucessfully" assembled my first SSR4.  I believe I have sucessfullly programmed the board as well. 

My issue appears when I go from 255 intensity to 0 intensity on channel 1 (I don't have any of the other channels wired up yet).  The lights just start flashing randomly when I bring the intensity below @ 60 intensity.  Then they appear to become unresponsive for about 3-10 seconds, until i bring them back up over that 60 threshold. 

Anyone have suggestions as to what my problem my be?  I'm going to go forward with my second SSR4 board and see what kind of results i get out of that. 

Thanx.
-Wesley
Winston Salem - NC

Offline sirwesley

• Sirwesley.com
Re: SSR4 w/ DMX issue
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, »
Wow...that was really odd.

I turned off my DMX controller and back on, and cycled power on my SSR4 and the issue appeared to go away.  For testing/programming, I'm using a "real" DMX controller (not run from my computer) 

And now I was able to recreate the issue, by moving channels 2-4 up and down, however they are not wired up yet.  Still kinda strange behavior.  It's not doing it everytime either.
-Wesley
Winston Salem - NC

Offline scharbon

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, »
I had a similar issue with flicker.  Two easy things to check first.  Make sure your chips are properly seated in their sockets and that all of their legs are actually in the socket - while you are at it - make sure none of them is in backwards.  If that doesn't solve it, take the SSR out of the case and check all of your solder joints.  Sounds like you probably have poor contact (or a bridge) at one of your legs on one of the chips.  

Try those things and let us know how things are going.  

Steve

Offline sirwesley

• Sirwesley.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, »
Well, I'm not sure what the issue was.  I guess I just had some bad solder joints. 

If I slammed the board against the table it would start working...then just leaving the board on with 4 channels at 255, after about 3 mins I would lose DMX control and the lights would turn out.

I went back and re-soldered all joints that appeared to be problematic (twice, didn't work the first time - same issue) and finally the problem appeared to go away.

So all is well.  My second & third completed boards work flawlessly.
-Wesley
Winston Salem - NC

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, »
Well done Sir!

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, I'm not sure what the issue was.  I guess I just had some bad solder joints. 

If I slammed the board against the table it would start working...

Back in my military days that would be called glove size 5 adjustment  ;D