Author Topic: Unable to open my sequence  (Read 2904 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Unable to open my sequence
« on: September 23, 2009, »
I posted this over at DIYC too, but you guys here are so much smarter I figured my answer would come faster.   ;D  When I try to open my sequence, I get the error shown. I tried repairing .NET and using both version 2.1.1.0 & 2.5 give the same error.

As background, I was unable to reorder my channels in the current profile using 2.1.0.0 and have them stay so I thought maybe it was a bug that 2.5 would fix so I upgraded to 2.5 and since then, I can't get my sequence to open in any version. Even my backup copies won't open. Any ideas? I don't want to loose the hours I already have put in. I can create a new sequence, but again don't want to loose my work.

Something else I thought of last night, the same error occurs if I try and manage the profile I have associated with the sequence. I don't know enough about the software, but this is my theory:

Maybe the profile is actually the problem.  I assume that when the program opens a sequence, if there is a profile associated with it that it opens the profile first.  If that is the case and my profile is bad, maybe that is the problem after all and the sequence may still be OK.  To test my theory, I need to detach the sequence from the profile.  I know how to do that with the sequence open but I can't get it open.  Does anyone know of a way to unlink a sequence from a profile outside of Vixen?

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline tbone321

Re: Unable to open my sequence
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, »
Did you press the details button and if so, what did it say?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, »
It is long so I'll post in multiple pics.

There is more than this, but I don't know if it will help or not.  If it will, let me know and I'll post more.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline REM

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, »
Sounds like the channel count in the sequence doesn't agree with the channels in the profile.  You can compare them in a text editor.  Also, I believe all you have to do to detach it from a profile is to open the sequence in a text editor and remove the line that looks like:

<Profile>Profile Name</Profile>

Make a backup first!

--Ron

Offline memphislights

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, »
To rule out the profile, you can always post your profile and see if someone else is able to open it.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline Greg

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, »
Keith,

I presume you are still at version 2.5?  Sequences from lower versions of Vixen have to be converted to 2.5's format.  KC outlines the process over on DIYC.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Greg 
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, »
Something is possibly corrupted in your sequence file.  It appears that the number of channel definitions exceeds the either the number claimed to exist or possibly the maximum for a DMX universe.  Someone has said that ver 2.1 files are not compatable with ver 2.5 and I would try that conversion first as the software may be reading the ver 2.1 sequence file incorrectly.  The reason that I said that it may be corrupted is because you said that you were unable to re-order your channels which make me think that the changes were not being written to the file correctly.  If converting the file to the new format doesn't work, you might want to try and contact the people at Vixen.  Nobody is going to know their sequence file better than they do and they may be able to spot the problem if they offer that type of support or help.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline aztiggerp

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, »
You will have to go through multiple versions of the Vixen "Prepare.exe" that is included with each installation but erases itself after the first run.  

See the attached prepare files (rename the .doc to .exe).

You will have to place the Prepare.exe in the same folder as your sequences folder, but not in the sequences folder.

I didn't have any issues but be sure to back up your sequeces and profiles before running....just in case.  Better safe than sorry.

If you want, PM your sequence and can try to get it working if you are not successful with the Prepare.exe files.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, by aztiggerp »

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, »
I was able to get everything working again.  Somehow my profile got messed up.  I had to manually edit it and put the channels in order and make sure all the disabled channels matched and then it worked fine.  Don't know how or why it happened, but I was able to fix it.  I had run the prepare script on it and am wondering if that is what caused it.  At any rate, I am back up and running.  Still using 2.1.1.0 but it seems to be working OK.

Thanks,
-Keith