Author Topic: Attach lights to Mega tree  (Read 1399 times)

Offline gwindman

Attach lights to Mega tree
« on: September 29, 2009, »
I have read all the posts so far, but am unclear how you attach the lights to the tree.  Do you just string the light string from the top and down on it's own, or do you need a guy wire for each string?  (I understand how to actually hook it at the top, etc)
Thanks.

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
Re: Attach lights to Mega tree
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, »
There's no guy wire involved on my trees.

I actually put a zip tie at the halfway point of the string and create a loop in the electrical wire of the light string.  That loop goes in the hook at the top of the tree, and the two ends of the string then come down to the base.    The plug end goes to the controller, and the other end gets tape over the slots to keep water from getting into the socket.

Hope this helps.
Mark
Kernersville, NC
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline REM

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, »
I certainly won't claim that my method is the best but it is something to spur some thought:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

For my next one I may use the same top but I'll consider  antenna mast and guy wires and make it as tall as full-length strings.

--Ron

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, »
I use a 4" toilet flange and attach my strings to it and the base ring of the Tree.  My Tree "Trunk" is a piece of 6 foot 4" PVC.
I also will not claim that my is the best it is just what I came up with.

I have pictures in the My Journey thread in the Porch.

Bill

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, »
When I had a megatree, I never liked the look of the full-length strings swooping down to the base.  Eventually I opted for the guy wires with each string zip tied loosely to it, in keeping with my fixation for straight lines.  Can't help that :-)

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, »
I have read all the posts so far, but am unclear how you attach the lights to the tree.  Do you just string the light string from the top and down on it's own, or do you need a guy wire for each string?  (I understand how to actually hook it at the top, etc)
Thanks.

It all depends ultimately on how you choose to construct it. I know that sounds bad but it's true. In my case, I wanted my tree to have a trunk so I opted for the ring at the base. If you make this decision the size of the ring depends on the height of the tree. When I string the lights down I zip tie each string to the base to ensure it won't move. This is not full proof though. Here in Reno (especially where I live) we get some nasty winds on occasion. This means that at some point throughout the season you may have to go out and re-tighten your strings after the winds have their way. If you choose not to have a ring at the base then I think it would be fairly easy to run guy wires for each string although I don't think it's necessary unless you're like John.   ;D
Usually guy wires are just to keep your tree sturdy but there's no rule against one for every string or sets of strings etc. It all just depends on how much money you're willing to throw at it.

Leon  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, »
I on the other like the swoop down ( I think that is what we are calling it) where the strings kind of make a J at the bottom and skirt out.  I use a Big S hook at the top and loop the strings through that and a ring at the bottom to pull the strings out more to make a skirt (kinda) thing at the bottom. 

Like many say it all depends how you want the look ... the only guide that is somewhat consistent is that the base diameter be at least half of the height, but again it all depends how you want it to look.  You are going to the best judge of that.

put some lights on it and make it blink to music and no one but a few of us and your self will be judgmental.   In 5 years I have had blinky and the 10 or 20 years of static, I have never once had someone come up and say ... "that doesn't look right"

Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, »
...it would be fairly easy to run guy wires for each string although I don't think it's necessary unless you're like John.   ;D

...and I wouldn't wish that on anyone!

...but again it all depends how you want it to look.  You are going to the best judge of that.

Like I always say, "there's no accounting for taste!"

If you're having fun and it looks good to you that's all that matters.

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester