Author Topic: Dongle Problems  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Walter

Dongle Problems
« on: October 03, 2009, »
So I have installed the drivers from the website and i programed the PIC but still not working. am I missing something?????

Walter
Walter

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
Re: Dongle Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, »
Walter,
   What do you mean by "not working"?

In Device Manager, do you see a serial port assigned when you plug in the dongle?

If so, does Vixen or LSP or whatever program you are using connect OK to that port?

What controller are you using to take the DMX and make blinky?
Mark
Kernersville, NC
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Walter

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, »
I'm using the LE board and  LSP connets to com port 5 but the dmx light on the LE is not on after running test mode.  also I have been looking at the device manager and windowes installed its driver over the other drivers and will not let me use the drivers that came with the dongle.
Walter

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, »
Since you're using LSP, make sure you are clicking on the "output" icon (the light bulb) near the top of the window.  That needs to be highlighted or "lit" for output to go to the dongle and therefore to the LE.
Mark
Kernersville, NC

Offline Walter

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, »
Yea i have that lit but still nothing.
Walter

Offline memphislights

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, »
have you tried using Vixen first to verify the hardware?
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline Walter

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, »
not yet i should try that
Walter

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, »
A suggestion for the next redesign of the dongle is an indicator light that it's getting a signal from the PC, or at least an LED that indicates that DMX is being sent...Something for feedback.
Mark
Kernersville, NC

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, »
A suggestion for the next redesign of the dongle is an indicator light that it's getting a signal from the PC, or at least an LED that indicates that DMX is being sent...Something for feedback.

A little while back we had a couple of ideas floating around to "improve" the dongle. Like you said adding some leds to it, using a slightly different FTDI board to cut cost, adding a ICSP.

But I think the wireless took all of RJ's spare (LOL) time. Next year the wireless might get an update and I hope we see the conductor. My guess is the dongle will stay as is for now.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, »
I would think that the dongle mods that you mentioned should take a priority since it really is the heart of the system.  Regardless of what other equipment is used, the dongle has to be there and having indicators that it is receiving and sending data will do much to help debugging newely built as well as seemingly non-responsive equipment. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, »
I would think that the dongle mods that you mentioned should take a priority since it really is the heart of the system.  Regardless of what other equipment is used, the dongle has to be there and having indicators that it is receiving and sending data will do much to help debugging newely built as well as seemingly non-responsive equipment. 

Its all up to RJ.

My guess is the Conductor will be the new heart of the system and that could be designed with all of the info you need in it.

but thats just me

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required