Author Topic: Heat Sink for SSR4  (Read 3164 times)

Offline sirwesley

• Sirwesley.com
Heat Sink for SSR4
« on: October 09, 2009, »
I am looking for a cheap heatsink for my SSR4's. I just discovered the limits of the SSR4 by trying to run two strands of C9s off of one channel.  It was a "HOT" mess!
Granted during a live performance, I would have the C9s on all the time, but I'm gonna get a Heatsink to be on the safe side.

Anyone have a part number for a SSR4 Heatsink from Mouser or anywhere that they can recommend?
-Wesley
Winston Salem - NC

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Heat Sink for SSR4
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, »
send a PM to blearning, he makes his own out of coiled aluminum sheet
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, »
that is too funny ...

step 1, go to your favorite hardware store and pick up a roll of 24 inch flashing ...

step 2 cut the flashing as wide as you need it ... this will put 24 inches of aluminum in the heat sink.

step 3 then watch the Video I call it the 2 minute heat sink

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

you can drill some holes in it as required and use some 6/32 by 1/2 inch screws ..
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, by blearning »
Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, »
Thin 1" angle is cheap and works well. It is all about the surface amount not the amount of metal. It is the surface exposed to air that gets the heat away.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, »
RJ is right ..

so when you do your coils don't do them tight ... if you do it right there will an 1/8 inch  or less between the coils. 

this is based on a design that I found for low profile high density heat sink. 

OH I found it again ...You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

they added a few more components to keep the spacing ... but what I need that was not required.  What DIYer wouldn't modify it a bit ... LAUGHING

Merry Lightmass

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, »
Bill:

Very novel, Good Job!

R,

Tony "C"
R,
Tony "C"

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, »
The case size makes an impact too,

a large load and a big heat sink in a small un-vented case would not be a good idea.  although you could get rid of the heat from the component, the heat would not go anywhere.

That is why some of the guys are complaining of overheating their SSRs ...

keep that in mind as well ...Like RJ says, it is like putting a ??? watt bulb in there.  So watch that as well. 

Merry Lightmass

Offline sirwesley

• Sirwesley.com
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, »
Thanx for all the input.  I'll see what I can come up with.  For now I'm just using my old "professional" store bought DMX Dimmers.  I used those last year, before I discovered this site.  I'll post the results once I come up with something. 

Would a metal plate on the outside of the case do the trick, if I were able cut a slit in the top of SSR4 case for the sheet metal to go through, then fold it over? I didn't do very well in thermodynanmics :p so any more ideas would be great. 

I'm using the suggested cases from the wiki page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-Wesley
Winston Salem - NC

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, »
Yes I did not mean that bills is wrong I looked at the post and relized that might be the way it looked. The gap in the coils makes lots of area and thats what I mean. The comment I made was to say that at the 2 amp per channel limit the alum angle will do. You should not put more than 2 amps on a channel no matter what heatsink you put on. Not enough air inside and surface of the box to transfer the heat out. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying