Author Topic: Heat Sink Compound  (Read 1546 times)

Offline abell

Heat Sink Compound
« on: October 18, 2009, »
What if a person were to skip the process of Heat Sink Compound, cause he didn't want to run to RadioShack?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Heat Sink Compound
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, »
Just my guess

The heat sink should work but you do run the risk of the triacs over heating. Seems to be an expensive gamble (burnt out triacs) and possible loss of channels during the show.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What if a person were to skip the process of Heat Sink Compound, cause he didn't want to run to RadioShack?

It all depends on how hard you are going to load the units to. If you only run a couple amps it won't matter. Start loading it up then it might.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline abell

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, »
Yeah, I dont think I will load them up a whole lot. I am going to do it right, I was just curious. I would hate to forget which ones were greased and which ones were not and then blow the triacs half-way through the show.

I am getting so excited! My neighbors and I are going to start setting up over the next few weekends.

Offline jamescata

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, »
Now this is something I know about since my line is PC's , On a PC if you don't do thermal compound you will fry the CPU, and on the LE you will risk of burning your TRIACS, not so if you are running 110v, but for us Europeans, on 240V 60Hz, you need the thermal compound "fo sure" you can easily buy Thermal paste which is very inexpensive...

Another note, if your thermal paste hits alot of air, i.e. you remove the heatsink, you need to 1) Scrape Everything off, and clean it with alcahol 2) re-apply the thermal paste.

J