Author Topic: Replacement Parts for Mouser Backorder  (Read 13271 times)

Offline tlh

• Patron Member
Replacement Parts for Mouser Backorder
« on: October 18, 2009, »
Greetings-

Trying to build 4 MR-16s, and several parts are on back-order with Mouser.  I have found what appears to be some replacement parts, but I wanted to check with everyone to see if I am on the right track.  

• Part #1:  Oscillators DIP-8 5V 40MHz (Mouser #520-TCH4000-X).  Replacement Part from Digi-Key:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  • Part #2:  IC & Component Sockets 8P ECONOMY TIN (Mouser #571-1-390261-2).  Replacement Part 3M Socket from Mouser #517-4808-3004-CP:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  • Part #3: LED Drivers 4096 Step Grayscale LED Driver (Mouser #595-TLC5940NT).  According to Mouser, this part will be shipped 10/26/2009.  Replacement Part Sierra IC has 481 of these You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login in stock but you have to call for the price (listed as $6.21 from Optopart.com).

Questions:  Would these replacement parts work?  Where else might I look?  For Part #3, would it be better to take a chance and wait on Mouser or pay the extra $2/part for the parts from Sierra?  Finally, have others had good experiences with Digi-Key and Sierra as vendors?  

This is my first time attempting to locate alternatives, so thanks in advance for your help!
Terry
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, by tlh »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Replacement Parts for Mouser Backorder
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Greetings-

Trying to build 4 MR-16s, and several parts are on back-order with Mouser.  I have found what appears to be some replacement parts, but I wanted to check with everyone to see if I am on the right track. 

• Part #1:  Oscillators DIP-8 5V 40MHz (Mouser #520-TCH4000-X).  Replacement Part from Digi-Key:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  • Part #2:  IC & Component Sockets 8P ECONOMY TIN (Mouser #571-1-390261-2).  Replacement Part 3M Socket from Mouser #517-4808-3004-CP:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  • Part #3: LED Drivers 4096 Step Grayscale LED Driver (Mouser #595-TLC5940NT).  According to Mouser, this part will be shipped 10/26/2009.  Replacement Part Sierra IC has 481 of these You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login in stock but you have to call for the price (listed as $6.21 from Optopart.com).

Questions:  Would these replacement parts work?  Where else might I look?  For Part #3, would it be better to take a chance and wait on Mouser or pay the extra $2/part for the parts from Sierra?  Finally, have others had good experiences with Digi-Key and Sierra as vendors? 

This is my first time attempting to locate alternatives, so thanks in advance for your help!
Terry

1 would be fine.

2 would be fine.

3 the link does not take me to it.

Digikey is ok I use them sometimes. But I have never used serria not sure I have ever seen them.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tlh

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, »
Thanks, RJ.  I fixed the link on Part 3, so it should work now.  I appreciate the feedback on both parts and vendors.  BTW, I got the replacement heat-sink yesterday, and it's a perfect fit.  Thanks, again!

Terry

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, »
Thanks, RJ.  I fixed the link on Part 3, so it should work now.  I appreciate the feedback on both parts and vendors.  BTW, I got the replacement heat-sink yesterday, and it's a perfect fit.  Thanks, again!

Terry

Glad we got you fixed with a heatsink. The two parts on the link either one should work fine as the G4 number is just a new version.

RJ

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, »
fixed the link on Part 3, so it should work now. 

Did you find a vendor that has any available, all the vendors I checked were back-ordered?
R,
Tony "C"

Offline tlh

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, »
Did you find a vendor that has any available, all the vendors I checked were back-ordered?

No.  The one lead with parts in stock (Sierra IC) had a minimum order of $100, and the price of each part was $2 more than other vendors.  Therefore, I went ahead and placed the order with Mouser.  The back-order ship date is 10/27/2009, which is not too late for me.  If you can wait, Mouser's the best bet in my opinion. 

Terry

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, »
Does anyone have 1 TLC5940 that they don't need right away?

I've had this part on backorder with Mouser since the middle of September.  Every time I call them, I get a different answer - "It shipped today", "TI hasn't delivered yet", "It should be coming in tomorrow".

I just got an updated "will ship when all parts are in" email notice that said they would ship the 2 for my MR16 boards on 11/13.

I really would like to get one of my MR16's up and running before the middle of November.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark
Mark
Kernersville, NC

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, »
Just a heads-up to anyone who's still trying to get the TLC5940NT chip.   It's still on backorder, even though I've called several times.   Mouser said that they have been having problems getting TI to meet their ship committments, but this is ridiculous.   Current date for next shipment from TI (when you click on the part number on Mouser's site) is 11/30.

Other sites that I've checked are not in stock either.

A kind person here on DLA did send me one that got my MR16 up and running.    When I get mine, I'll be sending one back his way...
Mark
Kernersville, NC

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, »
Might the TLC5941NT work?      It appears similar but I've not dug into the details.   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, »
Might the TLC5941NT work?      It appears similar but I've not dug into the details.   

Larry

Not sure, I am not familiar with it and might be a little while before I can read up to see. But TI does build a lot of similar drivers.

RJ

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, »
Just did a quick compare..    the TLC5941 is limited to 90ma output whereas the TLC5940 is 130ma.      Excluding the EEPROM that is on the TLC5940, the two chips are otherwise identical.  That output current coiuld be a real limitation for some.    If one is only driving a few leds in a village or trainyard it might not be an issue but when you are trying to drive a string of leds....     

Larry

Not sure, I am not familiar with it and might be a little while before I can read up to see. But TI does build a lot of similar drivers.

RJ
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, »
Doesn't the 5940 just drive the MOSFETs?  With a 4k7 Rset resistor, it's only putting out 9 mA, so this limit shouldn't be a problem.
/mike

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, »
Is the EPROM feature needed or are we just driving the MOSFETs via instructions from the PIC?

I'd like to get more of a definite "yes" from the man himself before I just order the new chips.

Got an email from Mouser last night confirming the "expected" 11/30 new ship date...
Mark
Kernersville, NC

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, »
Is the EPROM feature needed or are we just driving the MOSFETs via instructions from the PIC?

I'd like to get more of a definite "yes" from the man himself before I just order the new chips.

Got an email from Mouser last night confirming the "expected" 11/30 new ship date...

If what moose is saying is correct then it should work fine. I can't say as I have never tried it and have so much going on, time to research it is short.

RJ

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, »
Has anyone attempted to run a MR16 with the 5941 part? I would be interested to know the status of any experiments that have been done.

I am ordering a set for my MR16s anyways but would like to know if anyone has had success.

Thank You,

Frank