Author Topic: SOLVED - Access to port COM4 denied  (Read 6139 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
SOLVED - Access to port COM4 denied
« on: October 19, 2009, »
I fired up my show computer to get it ready for Halloween and am having problems with the USB port
Running Vixen 2.1.3, XP Home SP3 on a 3ghz system with lots of hard drive space and 2gb memory
Vixen was running good while only using the preview - I am converting from LOR.  I ran a program called FTDI clean that Dan from LOR sent me and it completed successfully.  After rebooting and connecting the Lynx Dongle I installed the 2.4.16 drivers from FTDI with no errors.  The dongle installed as COM3 and I configured Vixen to use Com3 with the DMX addin checked on the menu bar.  Got an access denied on Com3 so I reconfigured the device and Vixen to use Com4 still no go.  Device manager shows that both the usb bus driver and the port driver are using the same driver version 2.4.16.

Anyone got any ideas.  I have had the dongle working on other computers so I know that it is ok.  Trying to get my dedicated show computer to work now.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Access to port COM4 denied
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

First, remove DMX addin.  You don't need it for the dongle.

Keith

"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Access to port COM4 denied
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, »
SOLVED!!!
After a long phone call with Dr. Learning we came down to a bad ethernet cable.  I had been using a 12ft cable and wanted a shorter one.  Grabbed one from my box of cables and it turned out to be a crossover cable.  Stange that if manifested itself in an access denied message, but the problem went away as soon as we got rid of that cable.  Of course that was after looking at numerous other issues and even removing the dongle from its case.  Every day i learn something new.  I guess that is the good part.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA