Author Topic: EX/RX Part Question  (Read 1478 times)

Offline ponddude

EX/RX Part Question
« on: October 24, 2009, »
I assembled all my wireless units tonight, but had a question I wanted to clairify before I soldered it into place. 

When building the EX/RX, the manual shows a picture of the connectors that appear to be male.  However, it states that the connects SHOULD be female.  The connecters I got (ordered on my own from Mouser) are female, part number 517-974-01-04-RK.  Is that the correct part?

I don't have my LE's let, I am waiting for the last coop to ship out so I am not 100% sure what connector I should be using. 

Can some one clarify before I go and solder?

Greg
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
Re: EX/RX Part Question
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, »
You do have the correct part. However, you might want to wait until you get your LE's as the manual states to to fit/ align it all together before soldering. I can tell you from experience you should have no problem. Although it is a tight fit, it should go together well.

Leon
Leon

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, »
What most of us are doing is soldering the shrouded male on the EX/RX and the female onto the LE board.    The primary reason for that is to reduce the likelihood of stray wires hitting an open pin on a LE board that does not have an EX/RX installed. 

There is also the matter of cost.   One EX/RX module can provide the signal for many LE's..  The female pins are much cheaper than the shrouded male.....   the cheap route then is to have the female on the LE and the shrouded on the EX/RX.   

As Leon mentioned, use the LE board to help align the pins...   the way to do that is to connect everything...  and do a dryfit.   with everything in position, solder away.   Because the fit between the male and female connectors is quite snug, be sure to put solder on all the pins.  If you try to separate the boards with any male pins unsoldered, the male pins will pull out of the shrouded header.  (found this out during the beta testing).   

Larry

3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline ponddude

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, »
Great.  Thanks for the info everyone!
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login