Author Topic: Componenets for 128 Channel Wireless System  (Read 1360 times)

Offline todd3601

Componenets for 128 Channel Wireless System
« on: October 27, 2009, »
Greetings.  I wasn't sure of the proper forum but I figured I couldn't go wrong on the porch with my first post.  As a new member and someone who plans on pursuing the hobby, I searched other threads for an answer to my questions but was unsuccessful in digging one up, so I thought I would post it here and see what responses were generated.  I looked around and just wanted to confirm with someone experienced in building an animation system that what components I think I will need are correct.

If I were to build a 128 channel wireless system, and I know that a multitude of possibilities exist, but would the components I have selected work and be a complete working system:

-Program for Running the Animation (Vixen)
-Dongle (1)
-Wireless DMX Transmitter (1)
-Lynx Express 8 Units
-Wireless DMX Receiver 8 Units

Obviousl requirements of power for the 8 Express units, computer, and the lights to be displayed, however I am centering on the animation system itself, am I missing something ??

Please feel free to critique and make suggesstions.  One thing I would love to see on this site, as a newbie, would be a section dedicated to member system builds, detailing DIY components, commercial products, software, # channels, lights, ect.  I think this would definately help a newbie to the hobby by showing what components are required to build a particular size show and help in budget planning by comparing componenets and prices.  Thanks for the help in advance.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, by todd3601 »

Offline memphislights

Re: Componenets for 128 Channel Wireless System
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If I were to build a 128 channel wireless system, and I know that a multitude of possibilities exist, but would the components I have selected work and be a complete working system:

-Program for Running the Animation (Vixen)
-Dongle (1)
-Wireless DMX Transmitter (1)
-Lynx Express (8)
-Wireless DMX Receiver (8)

Obviousl requirements of power for the (8) Express units, computer, and the lights to be displayed, however I am centering on the animation system itself, am I missing something ??

that's pretty much it if you want to use Lynx Expresses.

+ A/B usb cable
+ 1 standard ethernet cable
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Just in case you haven't seen it, check out the wiki link near the top of the page, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .

You may want to check this page in it.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .

That may give you a little better idea of combinations of controllers.  Some of the prices change slightly, due to the fact that coops have different numbers ordered on each.  But you can see the previous coops to get an idea of the price range.  The commercial items aren't pushed here, but a few are mentioned, since some people use combinations, such as Vixen or Light Show Pro, or LOR, with the Lynx equipment.

Different channel combinations can become almost infinite quickly, with Lynx Expresses, FreeStyles, DMX SSR4s, MR16s, etc.  So it can be more difficult to tell what a particular size show would cost.  Also, the leds vs older light types can make a difference.

Over the next few weeks more people should be showing what they've done for this year, and that should give more ideas and info.  Maybe the wiki will answer a few questions.  Dive in with others.  Welcome to the group.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, »
I put a couple more sample diagrams on the hooking up a dmx universe page

I am working on a new diagram showing from a LOR computer with idmx and then the Lynx hardware

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline todd3601

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, »
Thanks for the replies.  I thought I was on the right path, just needed a little confidence boost from some of the members here that are using the systems.  One question of clarification, what is the advantage/disadvantage of using the Freestyle Controller and then tieing it to SSR4 or M16's?  I had previously reviewed the schematics on wiki and felt I had a decent grip on the components and their place with the exception of how the freestyle controller fits.  Thanks, look forward to a busy 2010 of building. 

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, »
Thanks for the replies.  I thought I was on the right path, just needed a little confidence boost from some of the members here that are using the systems.  One question of clarification, what is the advantage/disadvantage of using the Freestyle Controller and then tieing it to SSR4 or M16's?  I had previously reviewed the schematics on wiki and felt I had a decent grip on the components and their place with the exception of how the freestyle controller fits.  Thanks, look forward to a busy 2010 of building. 

The Freestyle is a 128 channel controller without on board triacs so it needs the ssr4 to power the lights. In the diagram from the freestyle to the mr16 is just a daisy chain for the dmx feed.

hopefully that makes sense.

Rick R.

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline todd3601

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, »
Thanks for the clarification.  I assumed that to be the situation, however I have tried to learn not to assume anything, as you know the old saying.  Thanks again.