Author Topic: Can't Get USB Dongle to Work on Windows 10  (Read 8087 times)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Re: Can't Get USB Dongle to Work on Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I apologize for my use of the words “RJ approved” nodes.   By that I meant Ray Wu’s TM1804 nodes originally specified for use with the DLA Smart String Controller.   (I asked in case we can get you a Smart String Controller in order to test the PIXELNET Dongle as RJ originally designed, using only DLA gear so we can minimize the equipment.)

Can you sketch up how you're connecting your PIXELNET Dongle, from the computer to the LED (lighting load) and everything in between?   I'm asking because it seems likely the PIXELNET Dongle is working, but whatever it is talking to isn't working.

:) joe

The Falcon F16-V1 controller that the dongle is talking to does work... but only when it receives a Pixelnet signal from My F16-B which is currently my only source of Pixelnet

It seems that the dongle isn't sending a valid signal, or there is some setting somewhere that's wrong? I have a two other F16-V1 controllers that aren't working, but I'm not working on those in this USB dongle testing process. We can pretend those don't exist in this troubleshooting situation to make the issue at-hand easier to understand. Rather than drawing a diagram, here's a text representation:

F16-B Controller's Pixelnet output port -> CAT5 cable -> Known Good F16-V1's Input Port -> Result: Blinky flashy
PC running Vixen or xLights software playing a Sequence or in Test mode supposedly sending the commands to create a Pixelnet signal -> USB Cable Pixelnet USB Dongle -> CAT5 cable -> Same Known Good F16-V1's Input Port -> Result: No Blinky Flashy

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, »
I saw your posts on FalconChristmas.com while I was trying to hunt down the documentation on the F16-V1 and F16-B.  Where is the documentation?   (Found it)  I'm a reader, I'd like to know what's going on here.

What channels are the lights on that are connected to the F16-V1?     <---  Okay, I have to admit, I was intently watching the World Series when I asked that question.  :)  What I meant was:  "The F16-V1 has lights connected to it, what are those channel numbers?"   That's better.  Hopefully.   I may have managed to borrow a F16v1 and F16B so I can try to recreate your issues.

(The jumper on the DLA PIXELNET Dongle doesn't do anything, the code was never written to implement it.)

The Falcon F16-V1 controller that the dongle is talking to does work... but only when it receives a Pixelnet signal from My F16-B which is currently my only source of Pixelnet

It seems that the dongle isn't sending a valid signal, or there is some setting somewhere that's wrong? I have a two other F16-V1 controllers that aren't working, but I'm not working on those in this USB dongle testing process. We can pretend those don't exist in this troubleshooting situation to make the issue at-hand easier to understand. Rather than drawing a diagram, here's a text representation:

F16-B Controller's Pixelnet output port -> CAT5 cable -> Known Good F16-V1's Input Port -> Result: Blinky flashy
PC running Vixen or xLights software playing a Sequence or in Test mode supposedly sending the commands to create a Pixelnet signal -> USB Cable Pixelnet USB Dongle -> CAT5 cable -> Same Known Good F16-V1's Input Port -> Result: No Blinky Flashy
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, by JoeFromOzarks »
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, »
I saw your posts on FalconChristmas.com while I was trying to hunt down the documentation on the F16-V1 and F16-B.  Where is the documentation?   (Found it)  I'm a reader, I'd like to know what's going on here.

What channels are the lights on that are connected to the F16-V1?     <---  Okay, I have to admit, I was intently watching the World Series when I asked that question.  :)  What I meant was:  "The F16-V1 has lights connected to it, what are those channel numbers?"   That's better.  Hopefully.   I may have managed to borrow a F16v1 and F16B so I can try to recreate your issues.

(The jumper on the DLA PIXELNET Dongle doesn't do anything, the code was never written to implement it.)

I feel like one of those end users whose problems went away as soon an IT person appears at their desk... (I say this because I work in IT)

We have some friends visiting from out of town for the weekend, and the husband is a budding Christmas Light enthusiast. I shown him my problem, and after he left the room, I kept poking around the issue (perhaps with a fresh perspective and trying something different).

What I did was take one of my "bad" controllers which was set to universes 3 and 4, and set the universe jumpers and DIP switches to masquerade another of my light controllers in Universes 1 and 2. I was able to program it successfully and get blinky flashy! Pleased with the results, I thought I'd try changing the jumpers and DIP switches back to the way they're supposed to be, and it still worked?!? When testing some pixels with the controller, I noticed that the channel assignments to the outputs were wonky, though, but I wasn't too concerned about it at the time and went back to our out-of-town visitors.

Not sure what made it better this time, there are some theories along with some reasons to debunk those theories:

The first time I programmed my F16-V1 controllers and "bricked" them, my laptop and F16-B were running on Wi-Fi. Remembering the Bridge Mode data packet count in Falcon Player, some of the universes sometimes have packet drop. I was thinking that perhaps using an Ethernet cable would prevent that from happening. I already tried reprogramming that controller with everything hooked up via Ethernet cable, though...

I was able to get my F16-V1 programmed using my F16-B running Falcon Player 1.9. I'm not sure which F16-B I used to program/brick my F16-V1, whether it was the one with 1.9 or 3.3. In the past, but when I theorized that 3.3 was the issue, I did try reprogramming with 1.9 to no avail.

As for my using my USB dongle reprogrammed to use Pixelnet which seemingly doesn't do anything--even on a controller set to Universes 1 and 2 (if that makes a difference)--that's still up in the air, but I don't know if it really matters now since I have a Pixelnet signal coming from my F16-B to my formerly "bricked" F16-V1.

Perhaps now that I know how to "unbrick" a controller, I will try programming it Using Falcon Player 3.3 on WiFi to see if that's that originally "bricked" it...

...but first there is also the issue of the channel assignments on the F16-V1 controller's outputs which are a bit wonky: it's the controller for my mega and mini trees in universes 3 and 4 that are supposed to assigned to outputs 11-14 were on 1-4 for some reason. I tried reprogramming it again to no avail... the issue of wrong outputs wasn't being solved. So I thought I'd try it again today, but now, although I have a flashing Pixelnet light, I can't get the controller to program (i.e. get the hooked up pixel strings to flash white for a few moments). So, I switched the controller to universes 1 and 2 and the DIP switches to "masquerade" as my Zigzag tree controller on universes 1 and 2. It programs fine ad the channels are correct. Tried powering it off, flipped the DIP switches and jumpers back to what usually on my mega/minitree controller on universes 3 and 4, and no flashing pixels during programming. But get this: even though I kept the DIP switches set for my mini/megatree controller and jumpers on Universes 3 and 4, when I send a command to turn on my Zigzag tree, my mini/megatree controller turns on the pixels attached to the output.

Note that I had 2 "bricked/bad" controllers: one was my mini/megatree one and the other was a spare. I wasn't able to program my spare as a clone of my megatree controller (i.e. no flashing white pixels sending the programming commands to it) this morning, but i was able to program is as my zigzag controller on universe 1. And, like my usual mini/megatree controller, it's still responding to universe 1 zigzag tree commands even though the DIP switches are set for universes 3 and 4.

I thought that a Falcon Controller will always receive and pass through 4 Pixelnet Universes, the jumpers indicate what universes it will turn on pixels for, and the DIP switches are merely for programming, but that doesn't seem to be the case when the jumpers are on 3 and 4, but the controller is turning on pixels for a controller in universe 1 when I send the command to.

I will need to go back to the Falcon forum and post a few questions on how to properly program a controller in Universes 3 and 4, set the jumpers, etc. I thought it was straight-forward and I could stumble through it, but I guess that's not the case.

BTW, what documentation for the F16-V1 did you find? Were you able to access the link in this post? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, by Gary »

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2019, »
I don't know what to say, honestly.

My help (so far) stops at the DLA PIXELNET Dongle.

The link you provided returns:
This page isn’t working
falconchristmas.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

The AUS Christmas site has excellent documentation and is much easier to navigate, falconchristmas.com (like DIYC) is hit and miss and for the most part, demoralizing.  :)

If I were you, I would copy and paste your text in the falconchristmas.com site and see who can help.   There is usually a way to "unbrick" a controller, just takes a helper who knows what's happening and with the Falcon gear, that isn't me.  I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

Yell if/when you return to troubleshooting the DLA PIXELNET Dongle.

I feel like one of those end users whose problems went away as soon an IT person appears at their desk... (I say this because I work in IT)

We have some friends visiting from out of town for the weekend, and the husband is a budding Christmas Light enthusiast. I shown him my problem, and after he left the room, I kept poking around the issue (perhaps with a fresh perspective and trying something different).

What I did was take one of my "bad" controllers which was set to universes 3 and 4, and set the universe jumpers and DIP switches to masquerade another of my light controllers in Universes 1 and 2. I was able to program it successfully and get blinky flashy! Pleased with the results, I thought I'd try changing the jumpers and DIP switches back to the way they're supposed to be, and it still worked?!? When testing some pixels with the controller, I noticed that the channel assignments to the outputs were wonky, though, but I wasn't too concerned about it at the time and went back to our out-of-town visitors.

Not sure what made it better this time, there are some theories along with some reasons to debunk those theories:

The first time I programmed my F16-V1 controllers and "bricked" them, my laptop and F16-B were running on Wi-Fi. Remembering the Bridge Mode data packet count in Falcon Player, some of the universes sometimes have packet drop. I was thinking that perhaps using an Ethernet cable would prevent that from happening. I already tried reprogramming that controller with everything hooked up via Ethernet cable, though...

I was able to get my F16-V1 programmed using my F16-B running Falcon Player 1.9. I'm not sure which F16-B I used to program/brick my F16-V1, whether it was the one with 1.9 or 3.3. In the past, but when I theorized that 3.3 was the issue, I did try reprogramming with 1.9 to no avail.

As for my using my USB dongle reprogrammed to use Pixelnet which seemingly doesn't do anything--even on a controller set to Universes 1 and 2 (if that makes a difference)--that's still up in the air, but I don't know if it really matters now since I have a Pixelnet signal coming from my F16-B to my formerly "bricked" F16-V1.

Perhaps now that I know how to "unbrick" a controller, I will try programming it Using Falcon Player 3.3 on WiFi to see if that's that originally "bricked" it...

...but first there is also the issue of the channel assignments on the F16-V1 controller's outputs which are a bit wonky: it's the controller for my mega and mini trees in universes 3 and 4 that are supposed to assigned to outputs 11-14 were on 1-4 for some reason. I tried reprogramming it again to no avail... the issue of wrong outputs wasn't being solved. So I thought I'd try it again today, but now, although I have a flashing Pixelnet light, I can't get the controller to program (i.e. get the hooked up pixel strings to flash white for a few moments). So, I switched the controller to universes 1 and 2 and the DIP switches to "masquerade" as my Zigzag tree controller on universes 1 and 2. It programs fine ad the channels are correct. Tried powering it off, flipped the DIP switches and jumpers back to what usually on my mega/minitree controller on universes 3 and 4, and no flashing pixels during programming. But get this: even though I kept the DIP switches set for my mini/megatree controller and jumpers on Universes 3 and 4, when I send a command to turn on my Zigzag tree, my mini/megatree controller turns on the pixels attached to the output.

Note that I had 2 "bricked/bad" controllers: one was my mini/megatree one and the other was a spare. I wasn't able to program my spare as a clone of my megatree controller (i.e. no flashing white pixels sending the programming commands to it) this morning, but i was able to program is as my zigzag controller on universe 1. And, like my usual mini/megatree controller, it's still responding to universe 1 zigzag tree commands even though the DIP switches are set for universes 3 and 4.

I thought that a Falcon Controller will always receive and pass through 4 Pixelnet Universes, the jumpers indicate what universes it will turn on pixels for, and the DIP switches are merely for programming, but that doesn't seem to be the case when the jumpers are on 3 and 4, but the controller is turning on pixels for a controller in universe 1 when I send the command to.

I will need to go back to the Falcon forum and post a few questions on how to properly program a controller in Universes 3 and 4, set the jumpers, etc. I thought it was straight-forward and I could stumble through it, but I guess that's not the case.

BTW, what documentation for the F16-V1 did you find? Were you able to access the link in this post? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2019, »
I don't know what to say, honestly.

My help (so far) stops at the DLA PIXELNET Dongle.

The link you provided returns:
This page isn’t working
falconchristmas.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

The AUS Christmas site has excellent documentation and is much easier to navigate, falconchristmas.com (like DIYC) is hit and miss and for the most part, demoralizing.  :)

If I were you, I would copy and paste your text in the falconchristmas.com site and see who can help.   There is usually a way to "unbrick" a controller, just takes a helper who knows what's happening and with the Falcon gear, that isn't me.  I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

Yell if/when you return to troubleshooting the DLA PIXELNET Dongle.

Thanks for all your help that you've put in!  :) I posted the same question about getting the USB dongle on 2 other sites with over 150 views between the two sites but no responses. Glad I posted it here, although I wasn't expecting a response here since this forum isn't as busy as the others.

I knew that you wouldn't have been able to give advice on programming a Falcon controller, but I wanted to bring closure to this message thread rather than leaving it as a cliffhanger which I sometimes see on other forums and topics.

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, »
Hello Gary,

I wish I could do more.    Thank you for letting me know what's happening, and please let me know when this is resolved.

I sent you a PM.

Thanks for all your help that you've put in!  :) I posted the same question about getting the USB dongle on 2 other sites with over 150 views between the two sites but no responses. Glad I posted it here, although I wasn't expecting a response here since this forum isn't as busy as the others.

I knew that you wouldn't have been able to give advice on programming a Falcon controller, but I wanted to bring closure to this message thread rather than leaving it as a cliffhanger which I sometimes see on other forums and topics.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, by JoeFromOzarks »

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, »
Sorry, but I was "offline" for a few days. I was able to get my F16-V1 controllers alive and re-programmed using my F16-B and Falcon Player's Bridge Mode by having them "masequarade" as a different controller by switching the DIP switches and setting the jumpers (which made them come back to life), and then switch them back to the "real' settings again and program them as needed.

I swear that so many of these issues that I'm having are resolved by doing nonsensical things.  ::)