Author Topic: Lights on Arch question  (Read 1328 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Lights on Arch question
« on: October 30, 2009, »
Hi Folks,

Wrapping light strings on arches. Does anybody see a problem with cutting off the female end and putting a dab of liquid tape on the ends of the wire?

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Sloanhaus

Re: Lights on Arch question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, »
If they are led lights you cant do this, if they are minis I believe you can do it... Just try it out on one strand and see. The problem you may run into is if any moisture gets in there, it could short out the light. Can I ask why you want to remove the female plug? I know you can see it when you are sitting there looking at it, but believe me, you couldn't see them in the dark during a show even if you were looking for them...

Save yourself some work and leave them on... But I'm not saying you couldnt do it.

Brad

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, »
hi Brad,

sorry I forgot to mention they are mini lights NOT leds. :)

they just seem to be in the way while wrapping and it was bugging me.

I figured a quick cut with wire cutters and a dip in liquid tape won't take too long.

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, »
If they are led lights you cant do this, if they are minis I believe you can do it... Just try it out on one strand and see. The problem you may run into is if any moisture gets in there, it could short out the light. Can I ask why you want to remove the female plug? I know you can see it when you are sitting there looking at it, but believe me, you couldn't see them in the dark during a show even if you were looking for them...

Save yourself some work and leave them on... But I'm not saying you couldnt do it.

Brad

Why should it make any difference if they are LED or mini's?  There shouldn't be any resistors or rectifiers in the female plug on the end of the string for LED strings.  There may be on the male end of LED strings so you need to careful there but ....
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, »
I cut all mine off Rick.

Kyle
Excess is Success

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, »
It's those little things that just bug the sh1t out of you too, huh, Rick?

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, »
I removed the female plugs from my C7 strings that are on my window frames.  I know that I am not going to plug anything in to them.  I used a small piece of heat shrink while it was still hot I took duck bill pliers and pinched the end of the heat shrink shut so it was nice and sealed.