Author Topic: 8 channel express?  (Read 7189 times)

Offline REM

Re: 8 channel express?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, »
I still like my idea of the Express Blade Center.  The motherboard has the PIC, wireless, etc. along with a backplane and then you slide in SSR blades. They could have maybe 8 SSRs each with the ability to put in 4 blades total?  The trick would be the enclosure.  Would be cool but maybe not worth it pricewise.

--Ron

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, »
Totally Modular!  I was just thinking in the beginning that 8 Channels would work will with my candy canes, but I upgraded them to 12 so...  And, 16 is just as easy to use. 

R,
Tony "C"

Offline Murl

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, »
Just my 2 cents worth, but I think RJ already has a pretty good mix of controllers to fit most needs.  He's also done them at channel counts & price breaks that make a lot of sense economically.

Need 8 channels? I'd just put two DMX SSR4s next to each other. Need more flexibility? Build a Freestyle and then you can put basic (non-DMX) SSR4s all over the place and still be pretty economical.  I think a lot of people have forgotten about the Freestyle because of all the excitement over the LE's this year, but it's a great product, too.

I also agree with Steve about connecting 32 power cables to one enclosure.  Even if a 32 channel controller were available, I'd still use 2 LE's on my megatree for that reason alone.  I mount them back-to-back on the center pole, and it makes the connections easy.

To be completely honest, though, I have an ulterior motive here - I'm looking forward to the Conductor, and I don't want RJ to get too distracted from finishing it.   ;)

Offline cmorda

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What about a wireless 16 channel Express with additional 16 channels of SSR's for a total of 32 channels? Then you get the best of both worlds. The question RJ or thw two of them compatable with each other or would that just drive up the cost. Thanks, just me 2 bits worth!

I guess I am not sure what you are asking for? can you explain a little more.

RJ

I think I understand. An Express with the usual 16 channels on board plus some SSR outputs. A 32 channel express with 16 channels onboard and 16 channels remote. Interesting idea.

Chris
Ventura, CA

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, »
I picked up two SSR4 w/DMX Boards and the Mouser parts have shipped so I should be able to implement them this year to see just how they work.  My wife wanted mini trees and I had no more free channels.  My Macro tree - it hasn't grown up to a full Mega Tree yet uses 14 channels, however next year that will be 50 channels minimum and if I have my way it will be 58 channels, we shall see.

If it is one or the other my vote is on the "Conductor!"

;D
R,
Tony "C"

Offline tbone321

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, »
Just my 2 cents worth, but I think RJ already has a pretty good mix of controllers to fit most needs.  He's also done them at channel counts & price breaks that make a lot of sense economically.

Need 8 channels? I'd just put two DMX SSR4s next to each other. Need more flexibility? Build a Freestyle and then you can put basic (non-DMX) SSR4s all over the place and still be pretty economical.  I think a lot of people have forgotten about the Freestyle because of all the excitement over the LE's this year, but it's a great product, too.

I agree that RJ does have a pretty good mix of controllers but if there were no need or demand for an 8 channel controller, then companies like LOR wouldn't bother to make them.  I am just getting stareted but I already see where about 4  8 channel controllers would work very well for me.  Sure, I could use 2 SSR4's with DMX but that would result in a lot of duplicate circuitry and wasted money.  Using a freestyle in this situation would not work well since an ethernet cable needs to be run from the freestyle to each SSR4 so if you have 2 SSR4's next to each other each one would need its own ethernet cable from the freestyle and that would once again be wastefull.  I am also looking foward to the conductor and would not want it delayed for something like this but I still believe that an 8 channel controller would be a welcome addition to the current lineup.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Murl

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, »
I agree that RJ does have a pretty good mix of controllers but if there were no need or demand for an 8 channel controller, then companies like LOR wouldn't bother to make them.  I am just getting stareted but I already see where about 4  8 channel controllers would work very well for me.  Sure, I could use 2 SSR4's with DMX but that would result in a lot of duplicate circuitry and wasted money.  Using a freestyle in this situation would not work well since an ethernet cable needs to be run from the freestyle to each SSR4 so if you have 2 SSR4's next to each other each one would need its own ethernet cable from the freestyle and that would once again be wastefull.  I am also looking foward to the conductor and would not want it delayed for something like this but I still believe that an 8 channel controller would be a welcome addition to the current lineup.

Those are all excellent points.  I was just thinking of my little yard.  My yard is small enough that (so far) I can do everything I want with either 4 or 16 channel controllers without running cables too far.  For me, saving $10 isn't worth losing 8 channels that I can use in the future.  But, I may be in the minority here. 

I could definitely see where someone with more room may want & need a number of 8 channel controllers because of how their yard is laid out.  In that case, the $10 savings could add up pretty quickly - especially if you consider the savings in cables from having the controllers closer to where you need them.

Offline deplanche

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, »
Several of my controllers are indoors, for lights on the windows.  This makes it easier for me to get power to them, easier to install them and remove them (especially when the snow flies), and protects them from the elements and some UV fading.  Anyway, in 2 rooms with small windows, I am only using 8 of the 16 channels on the LEs, and would definately get 8 channel controllers for those if they were available.  Of course, they'd also need to be wireless, since running CAT5 between rooms in just messy, and I would be tripping over it all the time.

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, »
I agree with RJ, the cost savings doesn't add up to the return on investment, RD and time.

>>on soapbox
You really want 8 channels use 2 ssrs, or about the same cost as an LE, plus you would get 8 channels free with an LE.  32 channels same thing,  say 32 channels at 2 amps a piece .... now I have to take a different circuit out to it, non standard circuit equals extra costs. 

I have it ... take your 16 channel LE and only plug in one side ..... call it an 8 channel controller or take 2 LEs and put them in the same box, you have a 32 channel controller.

I think we have plenty of model choices,

I thought about the 2 ssrs and actually ordered up a bunch ... only thing was 2 ssrs material cost was about the same give or take a few bucks as an LE.  Took me a little longer to build and test 2 SSRS as it did the 1 LE  So the time spent was a wash, and then I only had 8 channels ...  later in the game after some thought... I just left extra channels "laying out in the field" with the LEs

I would like to see a LIGHT organ plugin for windows media player ... Like the frequency add in for Vixen only automatic.    Load in your play list and we have a show.  but that is another story. I would like to see a power and test LED on the SSrs.  Maybe a little module you could plug in to them to test them.  A self correcting Light controller ... when a light goes out it shoots a high voltage spike down the circuit to fuse the burnt out lite. 

RJs time is worth gold to us and it is limited, let's stay on task and not get sidetracked on options just because someone else does it that way.   

All our stuff is done our way  -different ... why was that .. OH now I remember, we didn't like the way the other guys did it.   We are not competing with them on any field except working .. and we excel at that .... I like working stuff. 
>> off soapbox

Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, »
I realize that RJ's time is very valuable and is probably very limited. My suggestion was made in hopes that the 8 channel board could be done very easily by whittling down the 16 channel board, leaving all the wireless stuff, and hopefully, the coding changes would be simple (or even nothing needs changed in the code). I kinda hoped the board design would be easy also. I didn't want to create a lot of extra work for anyone.

There are tons of other options for me, so no big deal if it doesn't happen. I was hoping for mostly "yea or nea" type responses without negatives to show support of or demand for the 8 channel board, but the ideas presented are good ones.

steve

Offline OkieJay

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, »
I am grateful for everything RJ does for us, but I would appreciate it if he would move "self cloning" to the top of his list.  As fast as he cranks out the the new toys right now, could you image how cool it would be to have two RJs working away.  My soldering iron and wallet would never be able to keep up.  Until he can get that done, I will occupy myself by building more of the excellent devices he has already designed for us. 

RJ,
Thank you for everything and please keep up the good work,
Jay 

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, »
I know i'm dredging up an older thread, sorry.

3 cents worth.

Rj's time is gold.

I can see the argument for an 8ch controller BUT why not think the other way, just divide your elements up into finer, more granular control or add more colour, you will soon use all 16 channels :)

Personally I ran 48ch controllers all through the yard as well as a freestyle with 16ch and 4ch ssr's. I had 640ch allocated in Vixen to cover the DMX address range across 2 universes that i was using but only had around 360 channels in use. I just shuffled the order in Vixen and ignored the un-used channels.

the 48ch boards were around 80% utilised. did i regret not using all the channels on any one board? Yeah at times I had a small twinge of wanting to find extra lights to use up the channels, but not about having spare capacity really.

The largest issue as the number of channels goes up is supplying input power if you don't divide your display up further. High channel count controllers demand reduce light counts per channel so the total circuit draw does not exceed input capacity.
The 120ch DC LED controller for this year will be limited to 100mA per channel but that is still 12A at full load!
Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"