Author Topic: vista and vixen not working  (Read 3212 times)

Offline ron d

vista and vixen not working
« on: November 01, 2009, »
last years show computer is a windows xp laptop with only 2 usb outputs. i ran 300 channels with no issues last year.
i have a better xp laptop with 3 usb outputs and drivers will not install properly for usb-rs 232
i also have a new vista laptop but when jumping vixen over it will not even open.
I am using 2 usb outs for non dmx renard and need a 3rd output to add wireless dmx. How else can i do it from a laptop other then a usb out or any suggestions to convert vixen 2.0 files to laptop 3 and run with newest version of vixen or to even get vixen to open.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
Re: vista and vixen not working
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
last years show computer is a windows xp laptop with only 2 usb outputs. i ran 300 channels with no issues last year.
i have a better xp laptop with 3 usb outputs and drivers will not install properly for usb-rs 232
i also have a new vista laptop but when jumping vixen over it will not even open.
I am using 2 usb outs for non dmx renard and need a 3rd output to add wireless dmx. How else can i do it from a laptop other then a usb out or any suggestions to convert vixen 2.0 files to laptop 3 and run with newest version of vixen or to even get vixen to open.

How did you "jump vixen over"? Just curious. If you haven't tried it yet I would do a fresh install of you original version of Vixen. If you're just copying files / folders that may be your problem. Do you still have the source file to install with?

Leon

PS - I'm finding out that V2.5 does have some issues including test channels does not work.
Leon

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, »
Did you try running vista in XP mode for Vixen
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline ron d

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, »
I jumped it on a jump drive. I did it last year from programming to show computer and do the same now. I had my show run fine last year with 2.0 so im still running 2.0 and never updated vixen. I hoped to run from lsp but i didnt have time to get all the renards converted and i only have 8 lynx and need 328 channels.
far as running vista in xp mode im not sure how to try that. where do i find that info out?

Offline Randy_A

• Lockport Lights
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, »
Ron,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, try here:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Randy

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, »
To run it in compatibility mode, right click on the icon (shortcut) and select properties.  In the properties window, select the compatibility tab.  From there you can select the compatibility mode that you wish to attempt to run the program in.  Select the mode from the drop down and check the box and you are ready to run.  Save the changes and see if i will run.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Greg

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, »
Hi Ron,

Last year I ran my show on a dual core Intel laptop running Vista SP1 and had no issues using Vixen 2.09 NOT in compatibility mode.  This year, same machine and OS using Vixen 2.1.3.

I'd advise downloading a new copy of Vixen 2.1.x and doing a clean install on whichever machine you intend to use for the show.  Then copy the sequences, profiles (if you use them) and audio over to the show machine from your development machine. 

Although Vixen 2.5 is out there too, if you try to use it, be advised that it is still beta.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline ron d

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, »
Tried both guys//. Seems the sequences i try and open just have blank fields in them.I can still run my show without this laptop but the wireless for the other houses may be a bust if something doesnt happen here in the next week or 2. It didnt give vista as a option under properties, so i assum you meant the xp tab and select it.
Also i reinstalled vixen and did not use 2.5
ill keep tryin. i may do some tests and try and run show from 2 computers timed and run 1 from lsp for the wireless houses and the other show computer on my place. yhanks for your suggestions, hopefully im just doing something wrong.

Offline Greg

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, »
Ron,

You probably already know this but:

This might be an "ah, ha!" observation you made... If the plugins enabled on both machines don't match, you can get blank fields on the machine that doesn't have the matching plugins and plugin hardware.  For instance, if you have the renard and or entec plugin(s) enabled on the development machine, but no renard/entec on the show machine, the sequence may appear to be blank on the show machine.  If you're using profiles open the profile on the show machine and disable the plugins for the hardware that isn't the same as on the development machine, then try opening your sequences.  Or you may need to open the vix file(s) in a text editor such as notepad, search for "PlugIn name=" and change enabled="True" to "False" and save the vix file.   

somethin' to try anyhow.

Greg
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, by Greg »
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....