Author Topic: Will metal cases work?  (Read 1912 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Will metal cases work?
« on: November 06, 2009, »
I have some aluminum enclosures left over from a previous job and they are a perfect match for the Lynx Express.  I would really like to use them but what I am wondering is does anyone have any experience using metal or aluminum enclosures with wireless?  Will the wireless penetrate the enclosure and operate the controllers OK? 

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
Re: Will metal cases work?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, »
Keith,

I suspect you are setting yourself up for a disappointment if you surround the antenna with metal.    at the ~2.45 gig frequency, the send/receive path is a straightline and it does not take much to stop the reception.     (Steel would be worse than aluminum, but a "solid" container of either would do a job on reception) .   

You would need to either put the antenna outside of the metal enclosure  or turn the enclosure into the antenna   for any level of success ...    (not sure how you would do the latter or how successful it would be... but does create an interesting thought)   

Suggestion...     reserve the metal box for those LE's that will not use the wireless to make the connection... 

Larry

3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, »
That's sort of what I was afraid of but thought I would ask anyway.  Alternately, can I solder a wire to the antenna somewhere (does it matter where?) and run it outside of the enclosure?  Would that eliminate the barrier?  Would the wireless work that way?

Thanks again,
-Keith

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, »
I'd get a pigtail with a panel-mount RPSMA connector on one end and cut off the other end.  Then cut the wifi module like you do for a TX or RX, connect the center of the coax to the antenna stub and the shield to a nearby ground on the EX/RX.  Then use the same type of external antenna as on the RX.

/mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, »
And hacking all this up to save from getting a $9 case make sense? Maybe so but I wanted everyone to think about it. The coax, ends and antenna will cost more than the new case does for each one of them. In fact the Antenna cost almost as much by it's self.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, »
I don't really want to hack anything (although I am not opposed to it either); however, if I can save myself over $55 and use some existing equipment that is just taking up space, then I am all over that.  There is an existing hole by the wireless module that I can run a wire out of if needed.  Would it have to be an antenna like the transmitter uses, or can I just solder a wire to the receiver antenna sort of like what is done for the transmitter except longer and run it out of the case through the hole.  I have plenty of excess wire I can use for that because, no, I don't want to have to buy more antennas.  Guess I'll try each scenario and see what happens.  I'm not out anything but a little time.

-Keith

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, »
Unless the antenna is perfect length and tuned correctly (touchy stuff at 2.5 ghz) you will at best get unuseable range and at worst overheat and damage the RF module on your wireless so it is up to you. Not to even get into how having high voltage in a metal case with no safety ground is dangerous but it again is your choice to do as you wish.

Standard disclaimer "Anyone doing this is taking it on their own to make such risks. I would recommend against metal cases with all of my controllers for safety reasons"

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying