Author Topic: How long of constant on can the SSR4 take?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
How long of constant on can the SSR4 take?
« on: November 10, 2009, »
Ok, a typical show probably only lasts 5 - 10 minutes (at least a beginner's show, like mine...).  If the show cycles every hour, then I would figure that all lights would be on at full power for the remaining 50 - 55 minutes.

Will the SSR4, more specifically, the triacs, be able to handle that without overheating?

I plan on adding heat sinks, but I wanted to confirm that I won't burn anything up if I leave the lights on constantly for a long period of time.

One more thought that I wanted to run by the experts.  I am using the recommended case from yourbroadbandstore.com.  I know that the case is kind of small and, unmodified, there really isn't any air flow.  Would it make sense to cut a slot in the case and maybe extend a heatsink outside of the case (and then seal it with silicone so water doesn't get in)?

Thank you.

Jason
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, by jwilliams31 »
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline tbone321

Re: How long of constant on can the SSR4 take?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, »
That depends on how much current you are pullling on each channel.  IIRC, the SSR4 can handle 1 amp continous per channel with no heat sink and 2 amps per channel with a reaonable heat sink.  Unless you are using LED's, why would you keep the lights on at full power between shows?  I would set the static period to around 60% which should save you some electricity and extend your bulb life.  It will also add more pop to your show when it does run and your lights get brigher.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, »
I could do that.  I didn't really think about dimming the lights, I guess that would make more sense.

If I can at all help it, I have no intention of going over 2A per channel.

I just wanted to make sure I won't release the blue smoke genie by leaving the lights on statically for an extended period of time.

Thanks.

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline REM

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, »
You can also run a background sequence in between shows using simple effects to get you some "off time". Might save you some $ too on your electric bill.

Ron