Author Topic: Dongle parts backordered at Mouser  (Read 19034 times)

Offline zwiller

Dongle parts backordered at Mouser
« on: November 10, 2009, »
At this time there are 3 parts backordered at Mouser. 
1. Ethernet connector 5520251-4
2. Oscillator ECS-2100AX-40.MHZ
3. Mosfet FQP27P06

It's like I am shopping for hot dogs and buns.  Jameco has 2 but not Mosfet.  Digikey has 2 but not Connector. 

Tried the octopart site and cannot find the Oscillator anywhere.

I suppose I can get the parts from 2 places and pay the additional for shipping charges but these are parts under $4! 

Any other suggestions???  Many thanks in advance!!!
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: Dongle parts backordered at Mouser
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jameco has 2 but not Mosfet.

The solution, therefore, is to find a Mosfet at Jameco that will work.

I'm not an engineer (and don't even play one on TV), so I would appreciate it if greater minds than mine confirmed this, but it seems to me that Part No. 670485 would be an OK replacement.

\dmc

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, »
Yo dmc,
I think you're on the right track.  Thanks. 

The parts are all available just not at one place.  Oscillator was harder to find as I think the mfr# is somewhat proprietary and I am only 98% it's the right part.  But the Jameco spec's out with Mouser part. 

I believe the ethernet connector and oscillator is in stock at Jameco.   

Connector here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Oscillator here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Direct match for the Mosfet available here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

OR substitute above?

I bet all of these parts can be substituted but they must spec out, but I am a noob.  Perhaps the wiser folks will confirm this. 

Passing this info on to anyone it may help.

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, »
The Jack can be replaced with mouser # 571-5520252-4  Only difference is it is keyed (does not matter but makes it a few cents more.)

The Clock can be replaced with mouser # 815-ACH-40-EK  just a different manufactor.

The Tranisitor can be replaced with mouser # 512-FQP11P06  With no changes.

All which is in stock.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, »
Thanks RJ. 

The man has spoken.  Good new for those of us scrambling to put a dongle together!  Naturally, I freaked out and ordered parts from Jameco already... 

Someday soon I wish to learn to understand the theory of how this kind of stuff works.  I knew the mosfet was a part of an amplifer.  But oscillator a clock?  Interesting stuff.

Now it's time to line up a case

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, »
Sam, did you see this thread about cases?

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, »
You can order a case for the dongle from Polycase.  Wasn't really an option for me because shipping to me would have been higher than the cost of case itself.

Radio Shack has a project case that works pretty well but requires a lot of modification.  I had it about 90% completed, then got a little carried away with the Dremel.   :'(

RJ had an extra dongle case from the case coop that I was able to purchase.  You might want to PM him and see if he has any left. 

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, »
Thanks for the case ideas John and Night Owl. 

I need both dongle and LE cases.  I did shoot a PM to RJ and hope he's got a machined dongle case from the COOP leftover because I will spend 2 hours poking the perfect square holes in thing if I got to do it myself.  I hear ya about the Dremel, been there, done that, and have a scar to prove it (AND I don't want to do it to my dongle case).   

RE; blue ridge LE cases.  I assume these are like cases from a defunct company that there selling cheaper.  I will pick a couple of these up.  Didn't realize until now how well thought out the case was.  WOW

I am really starting to understand the beauty of the COOPS.  Really makes it simple to get complete project parts and save money on shipping. 

Next up is extension cord research time. 

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, »
I knew the mosfet was a part of an amplifer.  But oscillator a clock?  Interesting stuff.

In this case, the mosfet is being used as a switch, to turn on the DC/DC converter that powers the isolated side of the circuit.  The oscillator is used as a clock (it generates a square wave) for the processor.  You need  a reasonably accurate clock so the DMX data transmission rate is correct, otherwise whatever you are talking to won't be able to receive it.

While RJ doesn't publish the schematics for his boards, here's the schematic for a similar one - there are a number of differences (processor type, this one is bidirectional) but it will give you an idea what's going on.

/mike

Offline tconley

• Conley Family Christmas
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, »

has the mosfets in stock.  I just order and got mine yesterday.
Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?

I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Offline LAF

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, »

The Clock can be replaced with mouser # 815-ACH-40-EK  just a different manufactor.

I am putting this together now (finally - my first attempt). The manual indicates the black dot on the clock should be in the lower right corner, but the replacement part has no black dot. I assume the lower right corner of the replacement part is indicated by the writing on the part, but want to be sure. Can anyone confirm? If not, let me know the proper orientation. Thanks.

Larry
Larry F.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, »

I am putting this together now (finally - my first attempt). The manual indicates the black dot on the clock should be in the lower right corner, but the replacement part has no black dot. I assume the lower right corner of the replacement part is indicated by the writing on the part, but want to be sure. Can anyone confirm? If not, let me know the proper orientation. Thanks.

Larry

The data sheet shows a dot on it. But the pin #1 which is where the dot on the orginal is can be found by looking at the courners. There are three rounded ones and one sharp pointed one. The sharp pointed one is where the dot should be.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline LAF

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, »

The data sheet shows a dot on it. But the pin #1 which is where the dot on the orginal is can be found by looking at the courners. There are three rounded ones and one sharp pointed one. The sharp pointed one is where the dot should be.

RJ

Thank you for the quick reply. I looked closely again and there is not dot, but the difference in corners is evident. Pin 1 is not the way I assumed.
Thanks again.

One other question...

When installing the USB module the manual states I should "not install a socket on this device: it must be soldered to the PCB directly. "  I am not sure what this refers to. The module already has a USB socket on it.
Larry F.

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, »
The manual refers to not installing a socket for the whole module.  You will see two rows of pins on the USB module these get soldered directly to the PCB.

Offline LAF

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, »
The manual refers to not installing a socket for the whole module.  You will see two rows of pins on the USB module these get soldered directly to the PCB.

Thanks for clarifying. Glad to know I did it right.
Larry F.