Author Topic: Vixen software  (Read 5854 times)

Offline LAF

Vixen software
« on: November 12, 2009, »
I am new to all of this, and went to the Vixen web site (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) to start downloading the software. I am not sure whether Vixen is best for me, but the price is certainly unbeatable, so I thought I would start there.

But I was somewhat overwhelmed when I reached the download site... Not only was there the Vixen install (BTW, 2.1.1.0 - I thought there was a newer version, 2.5?), but I also had to choose from Output plug-ins, UI plug-ins, Trigger plug-ins, etc., etc., and none of them said anything about the Lynx Express.

So, besides the main Vixen install, do I need anything else?

Thanks in advance for helping me reassure myself that I am not too much in over my head!

Larry
Larry F.

Offline magic8192

Re: Vixen software
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, »
I think the plugin is included.  Use the entec dmx pro plugin with vixen for the Lynx Express.  The best place to start learning how to use vixen is with the newbie videos.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline LAF

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, »
OK. So, I downloaded and installed Vixen. I also downloaded one of the sample sequences from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. When I try to open one of those sequences, I get an error with Vixen -

"Unhandled exception has occurred..."

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Larry
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, by LAF »
Larry F.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, »
There are different versions of Vixen.

Most of the time the data files from each different version do not work in other versions.

Like ver 1.x, 2.0.x, 2.1.x, 2.5.x

x = sub version numbers.

So if you got ver 2.5 of Vixen you need a sequence file from the same version or use a prepare.exe program to update the .vix file to work.

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline LAF

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, »
Thanks. I just read another post about the same sort of thing (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login). 
This is all new to me.

Larry
Larry F.

Offline LAF

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, »
I have not been successful in opening older version of sequences, even after using prepare.exe. I first tried using that with v. 2.5. Then I read that I needed to take older sequence versions and import to v. 2.0 first, then to 2.5. That did not help, either.

Now, when I open the sequences I still get the error noted below ("Unhandled exception has occurred...").  It is the same error as I noted earlier in this thread, and in the first post of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Is there a way to tell the version of Vixen used to create a sequence by reviewing the sequence in a txt editor? I looked but could not determine it.

I am able to save my own sequences.  Maybe it is a profile issue. I do not know.

Thanks.

Larry
Larry F.

Offline magic8192

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, »
I have seen that on the vixen wishlists.

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have not been successful in opening older version of sequences, even after using prepare.exe. I first tried using that with v. 2.5. Then I read that I needed to take older sequence versions and import to v. 2.0 first, then to 2.5. That did not help, either.

Now, when I open the sequences I still get the error noted below ("Unhandled exception has occurred...").  It is the same error as I noted earlier in this thread, and in the first post of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Is there a way to tell the version of Vixen used to create a sequence by reviewing the sequence in a txt editor? I looked but could not determine it.

I am able to save my own sequences.  Maybe it is a profile issue. I do not know.

Thanks.

Larry

I don't know enough about it but I would suggest going on the forums here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

-Paul
Leesburg, FL