Author Topic: Last coop heatsink issue  (Read 4083 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Last coop heatsink issue
« on: November 15, 2009, »
It appears from what I have heard and then what I check out, that the machine shop drilled the threaded holes a little too big and so the screws do not fit well. There is now at least two work arounds to get it taken care of posted. Each works fine but if anyone wants them replaced I will spend the money to do so. The issue will be time. It would be at least 3 - 4 weeks before I would recieve the heatsinks and so you are looking at 5 weeks to get them. We have the heatsinks started before the coop since I have to buy 100 or more at a time and it takes this long. Even then sometimes they end up being the thing we wait on to ship as in this coop.

What I am saying is I need to know what everyone wants. I can not order 20 heatsinks so we need to decide if we are going to get replacements or use the work arounds. I do not mind the $500 or so it will cost to take care of the issue. I just know most if not all of you do not have the 5 weeks to wait for them.

Post and let me know fairly quickly as we need to move ahead on it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Night Owl

Re: Last coop heatsink issue
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, »
Thanks for offering, RJ, but I'll either retap the holes and use a bigger screw, or use a dab of epoxy or locktite to hold it in place.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, »
I do not want a replacement heatsink.  I would like you to see about finding another machine shop since that seems to be two orders in a row that had some problems.  I have purchased at my local Home Depot a package of 4-40 x 3/4" bolts and nuts that seem to do the trick just fine.  I was afraid that I would not be able to get a nut on since the hole is pretty close to the wall, but they work just great and I may not even need a pliers to keep the nut from turning since the clearance is so tight.  Bottom line - I'm satisfied with what I have in house.  Thanks for everything you do for us out here.  I really appreciate finding DLA and I really appreciate the forum - great help without most of the frivilous chatter on many of the other boards.

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, »
I agree with Night Owl and jnealand.

We're DIY'ers!  Adapt and overcome!!   

My favorite quote: "If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline ponddude

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, »
I just used different screws and was in business.  No harm no foul!
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline deplanche

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, »
Is the heatsink too heavy to be supported only by the 16 triacs? I've done some other boards with much smaller heatsinks and just used the triacs to support it.  Not sure if that would work here or if I should be trying a work around.

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, »
Um, it is kinda big and tall.  It would probably be ok to have it freestanding, but I don't think it would be a good idea.

Offline foodseller

• Celebrating CHRISTmas-one light at a time!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, »
I am with everyone else.  I think the workarounds will work fine and it save a lot of time and money on both ends. 
Thanks for all of your help on this RJ!!! It is greatly appreciated!!!

Bryan 
aka foody
Up to three channels now!!! Flashlight in each hand and one on my hat!

Offline kj77rn

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, »
I will make mine work.  Thanks for the offer.
Steve
Apopka FL

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, »
Is the heatsink too heavy to be supported only by the 16 triacs? I've done some other boards with much smaller heatsinks and just used the triacs to support it.  Not sure if that would work here or if I should be trying a work around.

It likely would be alright if you were easy on it but I always worry someone will grab it by the heatsink. I know I do on all mine, but with the bottom screws this is no problem as it is ridged.

I spoke with the Machine shop and they are trying to figure out what went wrong. They promised the next batch will be checked every so many to make sure it is not a problem.

Someone said I should change machine shops.  Well the problem with that is a couple.

1 - We do not have a number of machine shops like larger areas.

2 - Everyone is under the belief that they messed up before maching them but in reality they accidently put some damaged (mismachined parts that were to be thrown away in with the good and so the ones that were drilled wrong were not charge to me they just were accidently mixed in and I replaced them for everyone that asked with good ones from the same batch. (there were 10 bad ones in the whole batch) so this is their first machining mistake.

3- This shop is doing this very cheaply for me. Most shops will not even talk to us about doing this for a price I can make work. I do not think everyone would want to pay $3 - $4 more for them. 

4 - If I do this at a shop not local I have to ship them which then adds more cost to it. The way it is Dad (JJ) runs the metal out to them and picks up the finished units for me.

RJ

Offline solidmodeler

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, »
Thought I would note that all four of my heatsinks have the thread issue. I am fine with work around. I have access to a machine shop at work. Thought I might say that the screws seem a little short. They don't make it all the way through the heat sink material thickness. This could give the impression of a thread issue since the first thread or two are not full diameter. Looking at the IFIR spec on fastners they are good. I'll add a picture of screw later when I get to a computer.
Thanks,
Michael
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, by solidmodeler »
Michael

Lights, more lights, more controllers, more, more, more

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, »
Thought I would note that all four of my heatsinks have the thread issue. I am fine with work around. I have access to a machine shop at work. Thought I might say that the screws seem a little short. They don't make it all the way through the heat sink material thickness. This could give the impression of a thread issue since the first thread or two are not full diameter. Looking at the IFIR spec on fastners they are good. I'll add a picture of screw later when I get to a computer.
Thanks,
Michael

Yes some have found that theirs would tighten up with a slightly longer screw.

RJ

Offline spencergwilliam

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, »
I'm ok with the workaround as well. It's an unfortunate occurance, but like others have said, this is DIY. You have adapt and come up with solutions. I'm happy to deal with some additional DIY in this case in order to have something as fun as this. Thanks for all your efforts RJ, and for being willing to remedy this. But there's no need to from my point of view.
If you can't find it in the store, make it.

Offline asylvest

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, »
Ok with the workaround.

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, »
:D

The Choir Sings.  Wait a minute I'm in the Choir.

:o

But on a serious note, I'll figure it out (soon I hope).

R,
Tony "C"