Author Topic: Yet another pumpkin chorus video (My first!)  (Read 5152 times)

Offline fonze

Yet another pumpkin chorus video (My first!)
« on: November 16, 2009, »
Check out my first ever blinky-flashy and first ever pumpkin chorus: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It rained until about 4 pm that day, so all my electronic were setup very quickly. I would love to say this pumpkin chorus was the top feature but the stupid bubble-fog machine from Target took that honor. It injects fog into the bubbles so you get a little burst of fog when the bubbles pop!

I came to the web last year to find a controller for a pumpkin chorus. I am so happy I found the Lynx Express. Being one who likes to use 'standards', the DMX format was perfect for me. I was a little apprehensive about getting into a DIY solder kit since I really only soldered about 2 connections ever in the past. But I bit the bullet on this great deal and it all worked nicely.

I got 3 kits early this summer and they sat around since Halloween seemed so far away. I ended up bringing a kit to solder on a trip in early October that involved 5 airplane segments. I expected trouble bringing the PCB and components through TSA in my carry-on. But, no problems! Kit finally soldered, it self-tested perfectly when I supplied power to the correct input. I ordered the EntTec DMX USB Pro and a connector converter (XLRJ45-5M) from Production Advantage.

Vixen is a great program, especially for the price (FREE!) I finally had my own little tech theater. =) Oh, I ran Vixen on a laptop running Windows 7. Had a few problems with stability but some testing taught me how to run the sequence the whole night without interruption.

Words of advice to others just getting started: you always trade-off price and convenience. And when you choose convenience, you give up a lot of educational experiences. Sure I could have spent at least 6 times as much on other controllers and saved some time, but I learned (and can troubleshoot) a lot more by building the Lynx Express. (Where else can I get 110v dimming at $4 a channel?)

System: Vixen on Windows 7 laptop -> USB -> EntTec DMX USB Pro -> 5-pin DMX to Cat5 adapter -> Lynx Express

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Yet another pumpkin chorus video (My first!)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, »
Great job!

I am glad you enjoyed the DIY part of it and it is all working well for you.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline frd1419

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, »
Excellent!! This is the reason I hoined the group. I am looking foward  to see what you do next year.  Fred
LITE EM UP AND KEEP EM LIT  !!
                     FRD1419

Offline BrianO

• Worst thing about moving....you have to reprogram!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, »
Very good sequencing!  kids loved the video!  Any chance you might share the sequence?  I'd love to take a look and see what you did.

Offline CaptainBli

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, »
I am preparing for Halloween.  Any chance to get the sequence you used for your animated pumpkins.  It was very good.

Thanks

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, »
Exellent job I LOVED IT
Jeff

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, »
Oh no!  Not another addiction  -- Halloween Displays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, most excellent choreography there. <res.
R,
Tony "C"

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, »
Anyone:

Where do you buy or how do you make the pumpkins?  Are they just the plastic ones for candy from WalMart and you cut out the faces or what?  What do you use for the lights inside?

Any help or links will be appreciated very much.

Thank You!

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, »
There are may ways to go with that.  The display you saw looks like those were high end porcelain pumpkins but there is no reason that you could not use the plastic ones.  If you use the plastic ones, you can leave them uncut and let the light inside light up the face that is already there or cut it out using a hobby knife but that may look weird unless you also coat the inside of the plastic pumpkin with a few coats of black paint to stop the light from coming thru the plastic.  You could even use real pumpkins ifyou have the time to carve all of them.  As for light, you could use C7 or C9 bulbs and can either make the sockets from a string and solder on additional wire and plugs or get replacement light sockets for Christmas village house. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline fonze

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, »
All,

Thanks for the comments! In the spirit of this site, I will suggest you create your own sequences because you learn so much and it is really rewarding. But, I am a nice guy and will upload the sequence next week! (I should start programming a new song for this year, too.)

The pumpkins themselves are indeed the cheap plastic ones from Target. We bought them during a clearance sale at 50% off. They have the C7 lamps installed with regular power cords. I replaced those cords with longer cords and added a second C7 to that large pumpkin for more light. I think I spent $80 on those pumpkins.

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, »
Two posts up (last month) I asked about the pumpkins.  Since then I found them.  They are $6 at Dollar General, $8 at Big Lots and $10 at the Halloween super store. Big Lots also has large ones for $15.  They are plastic but look expensive in low light with them singing.  Here is a link that has the characters broken up for the song. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I printed it out to help do the "This Is Halloween" song.  Also at Dollar General I found some hang up pumpkin and ghost heads with sort of a cape hanging down from them.  They were a $1 each.  I am going to see if they will look good on a mini tree.  I bought 4 pumpkins and 4 ghosts to decorate 8mini trees.

Ron

My 2010 Videos

Offline fonze

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, »
Attached to this message is my "This Is Halloween" Vixen sequence. As seen in the video, it is made for 1 large, 4 medium, and 8 small pumpkins plus 2 spot lights for effect. Also as mentioned, the sequence is setup to use the EntTec DMX USB Pro.

Good luck!

EDIT: I posted an attachment that also includes the profile settings on page 2 of this thread. You probably want to download that attachment instead of this one.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, by fonze »

Offline krissco

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, »
Bravo. That was awesome!

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, »
Fonze when I try to watch I get a Message com 6 does not exits how can i change your com
Jeff

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, »
First off ..... Thank you for posting your sequence!

I got the error also.  I opened it with notepad and changed it to com3 which is correct for my dongle.  Then it opens but it is blank.  Could you post your profile along with the sequence?  This will let me open your sequence and be able to play it.

Ron
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, by trekster »
My 2010 Videos