Author Topic: Range issues  (Read 3280 times)

Offline tpctech

Range issues
« on: November 20, 2009, »
Hi,

I built 4 standalone recievers and 2 transmitters.  My range seems to be limits less then 100ft.  I am using the coop cases and antennas.

I did notice the antennas don't really tighten up.  I have not tried the units without the case.  I am wondering if the antennas are not making good connection.

any thoughts?

KEN

KEN

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
Re: Range issues
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, »
You may want to try and loosen up the board mount screws, screw in the antenna nice and finger tight and then re-tighten the board mount screws. This helps it get through the hole in the case a little better if you're a tad out of alignment.

Offline solidmodeler

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, »
I also am having range issues on LE wireless. Not getting any control outside 25 ft. Tried board loose and tightening as stated but still just about same distance. What is the typical range for the LE wireless.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael

Lights, more lights, more controllers, more, more, more

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I also am having range issues on LE wireless. Not getting any control outside 25 ft. Tried board loose and tightening as stated but still just about same distance. What is the typical range for the LE wireless.

Thanks,
Michael

Depends on you site. are you going through things like trees, you walls of your house, cars, ect. Or do you have line of site where the antennas can see each other. Do you have the cases pointing with the door at the TX? the antennas on the EX/RX are kinda directional so this makes a difference. did you use the stock cases or something else for the express? There are a hundred different variables.

If it is true line of site and the RX and TX are off the ground 12" or more then you likely have something wrong with the amp in you TX it is damaged, over soldered untill the solder run under the module and shorted it out.(seen a number of these already and why ver 2 is to do away with cutting the modules and having the amp to put on.) or it is just plain bad so you are running just the low power output which will only get about 100 ft. 

Line of site has been demostrated by a number of people to be in excess of 600 ft.  including here where we did a video of 460 ft playing around testing the first prototype.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline solidmodeler

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, »
Thanks for the info RJ. My transmitter is on my front porch and has direct line of site.  Looks like I may have to look at the soldering you described and turning the LE box direction. Everthing is built to the recommended hardware and suppliers. I didn't catch this earlier cause I tested in my basement and that distance was only 35 feet. I have a room down there I call the light room. Keep most of my light strings hanging there to keep stretched out and allows me to hook up equipment to see the vixen sequence.

Thanks
Michael 
Michael

Lights, more lights, more controllers, more, more, more

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, »
Ya, I asked about this a while ago, as I am not getting good range. I ran my opening night show last night and I had a board that was 50 feet away that had a bad signal and only came on sometimes. Are we able to buy powered antennas to hook to the transmitter? Also, can you have multiple transmitters using the same frequency (my guess is yes) If this is the case, I could set up multiple transmitter throughout the yard.

Thanks

Brad

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, »
Anyone that is getting these kinds of range and does not have interference in the way or competeing signals has an issue. Much beta was done on these for range by a many number of people and many people are using to go much farther than this. I would give my transmitter a good looking over.  I hope you guys are not mounting these things to metal cause you might want to move that away if thats the case.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, »
No you can not run two tx's on the same freqency in range of each other or you will have issues.

RJ

Offline ron d

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, »
I have a transmitter inside about 15' above ground level and transmitted last night across the street to 4 led rgb wall washers and also 1 next door. Some had direct line of sight and some did not and of the 5 receivers I used there was an occasional flash but all appeard to work about 95% as well as I could have wished for. If a more powerful transmitter is mad I would still upgrade but Camp Hill Pa. was a very bright place last night. I powered a 70' tree in my back yard and blew it up with a pair of 72 three watt blub rgb led fixtures and it could be seen more then a half mile away. Waas an amazing backdrop to my show and the wireless across the street was a big success. Thanks so much RJ.

By the way I transmitted over 100' and I found the key is having the transmitter and also the receiver to be as high above the ground as possible. 5--10' when testing made a huge difference.

Offline deplanche

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, »
I have noticed that no matter what universe I am on, if I am within about 15 feet of my wireless router either the transmitter or the router won't work.  Moving that was an easy fix.

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, »
So can we buy powered antennas or is this setup the best possible setup.

Thanks

Brad

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, »
I work in a wireless group at work so I had access to some different omnidirectional WiFi antennas. I used an RP-SMA gender changer to a 6' SMA cable to a RP-TNC adapter and that to a 5.2dbi WiFi antenna. I have this at both the Rx and Tx ends. You could search around to find the same but you might want to look at some of the higher gain antennas they have for home APs too - I think they have the right connector also - however - they tend to have pretty stout connectors and probably won't fit with the case as-is. You could probably drill a larger hole in the case to accept the larger connector on the antenna.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, »
I have noticed that no matter what universe I am on, if I am within about 15 feet of my wireless router either the transmitter or the router won't work.  Moving that was an easy fix.

Lights come first!!!! We don't let no wifi junk mess with our lights!  LOL

RJ

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, »
I work in a wireless group at work so I had access to some different omnidirectional WiFi antennas. I used an RP-SMA gender changer to a 6' SMA cable to a RP-TNC adapter and that to a 5.2dbi WiFi antenna. I have this at both the Rx and Tx ends. You could search around to find the same but you might want to look at some of the higher gain antennas they have for home APs too - I think they have the right connector also - however - they tend to have pretty stout connectors and probably won't fit with the case as-is. You could probably drill a larger hole in the case to accept the larger connector on the antenna.

I dont even know where to begin looking for the type of antenna you are talking about... Have you seen one, and if so, could you lead me in the right direction? Thanks much

Brad

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, »
Sure - here's an example - I think it's the right connector for the ones on the Tx/Rx: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - look at the detailed pictures to confirm (I don't have my Rx in front of me). You may only need the antenna on the Rx or Tx.

If you google around there are others that can work - the key is to make sure you get the right connector as there was a concerted effort to keep folks from adding higher gain antennas such as this (the main reason there is an RP-SMA connector over the standard SMA connector).

I'm using an antenna for an enterprise class AP that uses an RP-TNC connector instead of RP-SMA so I needed a few more do-dads...