Author Topic: It's alive!  (Read 4492 times)

Offline gndn

Re: It's alive!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, »
cmorda,

Thanks for the detailed explanation of how you setup the arches.  It helped a lot and actually given me some things to think about as far as construction.

~Dennis

Offline cmorda

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, »
gndn: No problem on the explanation. It was kind of fun to describe. My wife was wondering what I was doing pounding out the words on the keyboard though. :)

A little more info on my transmitter adventure: The day after I ordered the Vast FM01 I got the cheapo working pretty well by lowering the windows volume to about 15%. The distortions went away and it sounded pretty decent but weak. I think if I could have found the antenna connection and modded it like a belkin with a dipole it would have been suitable.

The Vast FM01 came in and I got it hooked up to a 1/4? vertical dipole like the one on c3i's site but cut for my frequency. The transmitter board fit well in my unused wireless TX case. It does need a good power supply. I tried a regular wall wart and it sounded auful. 60hz buzz like crazy. Hooked it up to an astron and it was nice and quiet. The signal is super strong. Probably too strong, but it sounds so nice.

Vixen (or maybe the drivers for the dongle virtual com port) has been giving me some problems with not releasing the com port. I have found that shutting down the show computer between shows seems to help. Also I tried to use the windows scheduler and it made the problem significantly worse.

Big thanks to tonypgst for uploading his sequences. I uesd two of them (techno Jingle Bells and carol of the bells). Beautiful work.

Just shot some video of the show tonight. Both songs. It is uploading to Vimeo as I type. I will post the link here when it's done.

It's been tons of fun and I am looking forward to next year already!

Chris
Ventura, CA

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, »
Hey cmoda could you provide a link for the astron you're referring to or where you got it from and it's specs. Also the link for the dipole. I'm looking to get a better transmitter for next year and have my current one as backup

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
gndn: No problem on the explanation. It was kind of fun to describe. My wife was wondering what I was doing pounding out the words on the keyboard though. :)

A little more info on my transmitter adventure: The day after I ordered the Vast FM01 I got the cheapo working pretty well by lowering the windows volume to about 15%. The distortions went away and it sounded pretty decent but weak. I think if I could have found the antenna connection and modded it like a belkin with a dipole it would have been suitable.

The Vast FM01 came in and I got it hooked up to a 1/4? vertical dipole like the one on c3i's site but cut for my frequency. The transmitter board fit well in my unused wireless TX case. It does need a good power supply. I tried a regular wall wart and it sounded auful. 60hz buzz like crazy. Hooked it up to an astron and it was nice and quiet. The signal is super strong. Probably too strong, but it sounds so nice.

Vixen (or maybe the drivers for the dongle virtual com port) has been giving me some problems with not releasing the com port. I have found that shutting down the show computer between shows seems to help. Also I tried to use the windows scheduler and it made the problem significantly worse.

Big thanks to tonypgst for uploading his sequences. I uesd two of them (techno Jingle Bells and carol of the bells). Beautiful work.

Just shot some video of the show tonight. Both songs. It is uploading to Vimeo as I type. I will post the link here when it's done.

It's been tons of fun and I am looking forward to next year already!

Chris

Offline cmorda

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, »
Antenna Info:

The formula he has in there ((468/freq)/2) gives you a result in feet for each leg. so just multiply that by 12 for inches.
I didn't use a BNC connector, just soldered some 14 gauge wire to my coax and hot glued the heck out of it into the PVC. The bnc connector would be much cleaner but I was pressed for time.

The Astron power supply I mentioned was just one I had around from Ham radio stuff. They are expensive for this application. A computer power supply made nice clean power too I just didn't want to listen to the fan.

Chris
Ventura, CA

Offline cmorda

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, »
OK, here's the link I promised. It took a really long time to upload 220 MB to vimeo.

Starts out a bit quiet then after 20 seconds or so I realize it and turn up the car radio  :P

Chris
Ventura, CA