Author Topic: Error trying to open a specific sequence.  (Read 5163 times)

Offline zwiller

Error trying to open a specific sequence.
« on: November 30, 2009, »
I've had a rough time getting Vixen to be stable.  Installed 2.5.0.5 1st time and crashed often.  Installed 2nd time and was stable.  I was working on them for weeks flawlessly and bam, can't openT next day. 

I have a total of around 8 sequnces and only 2 give the error.  Of course, these are the CRITICAL ones.  I have invested alot of time in both of these.  Enough time that I will be try anything to save them.  My machine is XP Pro and specs out for Vixen.  I have tried ALL different versions of Vixen but am using 2.5.0.8 now, all with same results.

Error info:  unhandled exception.  "." hexadecimal value 0.00 is an invalid character.  Line 34, Position 176.

The other file has same error but different location. 

Tried running updater, reinstalling net2, different Vixens, searching everywhere and joined bugzilla.  No luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction???  THANKS     
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline OkieJay

Re: Error trying to open a specific sequence.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, »
Sounds like the error I got.  I fixed mine by installing it to another location on the PC then copying my Profiles, Sequences, and Programs folders from the bad location to the new location and running Vixen from there.  Once I got it running, I copied the entire Vixen folder (with subfolders) to a USB thumb drive.  If it happens again, I will just delete the Vixen folder off my PC and copy it back down from the thumb drive.

Hope this helps,
Jay

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've had a rough time getting Vixen to be stable.  Installed 2.5.0.5 1st time and crashed often.  Installed 2nd time and was stable.  I was working on them for weeks flawlessly and bam, can't openT next day. 

I have a total of around 8 sequnces and only 2 give the error.  Of course, these are the CRITICAL ones.  I have invested alot of time in both of these.  Enough time that I will be try anything to save them.  My machine is XP Pro and specs out for Vixen.  I have tried ALL different versions of Vixen but am using 2.5.0.8 now, all with same results.

Error info:  unhandled exception.  "." hexadecimal value 0.00 is an invalid character.  Line 34, Position 176.

The other file has same error but different location. 

Tried running updater, reinstalling net2, different Vixens, searching everywhere and joined bugzilla.  No luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction???  THANKS     

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, »
Jay,
Thanks.  I tried something like this already and it didn't work, but it's making me think.  I just installed Vixen on my desktop originally.  Trying to fix I copied renamed deleted and reinstalled but same place.  I'll try another place probably my documents.  (fingers crossed)

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, »
Tried moving it around to several locations: no luck and same error.  My hunch is the sequence is somehow corrupted.  I am baffled because I worked on them for weeks and had no problems.  All of a sudden, I can't open them.     

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, »
Tried moving it around to several locations: no luck and same error.  My hunch is the sequence is somehow corrupted.  I am baffled because I worked on them for weeks and had no problems.  All of a sudden, I can't open them.     

Sorry to hear that. I have run into this problem before and learned to backup my sequences to another folder or drive.

Maybe KC can help you, try to send him an email or go to his bugzilla page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
and ask for help.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, »
Don't give up yet. If you posted at DIYC I'm sure someone will be able to help you. Meanwhile, a lesson to be learned here. Make backup early and often and keep them off your computer. Can you remember the last thing you were doing prior to the error ? (Reading through 1st post again, sorry... surfing on the phone. Tiny screen)
Leon

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, »
I will try over at DIYC.  I am starting a new sequence for another tune while I try and fix.  Yeah, it's backup time. 

Worked on the sequence the night before and saved often. (lost a few that way already)  Last thing was am after and I was not in Vixen and was just general cleanup of desktop icons kinda of getting ready to finish the sequence.  I DO think that I could have moved the Vixen folder before this problem.   

Thanks guys

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, »
Good luck Sam... I feel for you!

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, »
Sam,

I sent you an email in case you come to the site first.  I think I was able to get some if not all of your data from the file you sent me.  Try it out based on the 2 options in the email.  Let me know how it works.

Rob

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, »
Rob,
You saved it!  It looks like ALL the sequence is there too.  THANKS!!!  I will try and fix the other one based on your instructions.

I think from now on I will not modify a profile that was used for a sequence.  90% sure that's what caused this. 

I might be able to go live soon.  Dongle is complete and LE was already (thanks ThaiWay).  I have my cat 5 and newly purchased extension cords and more than half of my lights are already up, but static.  Just waiting for the postal dude to show up with my transmitter and LE cases.

I keep laughing to myself from the "look" I got from the girl working the register of Menards when I bought 40 extension cords.  My daughter was with me and picked em out herself.  PRICELESS

BTW 88 cents for 6 footers 1.39 for 9ers   

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, »
Sam,

I sent you an email in case you come to the site first.  I think I was able to get some if not all of your data from the file you sent me.  Try it out based on the 2 options in the email.  Let me know how it works.

Rob

Hi Sam,

Congrats on getting the sequence fixed.

Ron,

Can you post how to fix the vix files to help any body out in the future?

Thanks

Rick R.

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, »
I keep laughing to myself from the "look" I got from the girl working the register of Menards when I bought 40 extension cords.

Trust me - you will get a LOT of those looks as you expand in the future - the checker at Lowes is used to it now when she sees me...  :D

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, »
zwiller situation was a little unique I think.  We know the vixen files are xml based.  The idea I had was to ensure the xml was well-formed, meaning opening tags had closing tags, etc.  You can do this via apps like XML Spy or even IE/Firefox.

Sams file was missing a few tags.  The end of EventValues (the actual on/off/intensity values).  I added that in there and an additional tag.  It looked like that maybe either during the file save/copy that part of the file got lost (assumption).

But adding the tags wasn't the only problem here.  Since the EventValues are in a Base64 encoded format, there are sometimes special characters at the end of the string to represent the "boundries".  Typically that is either 1 or 2 equal signs "=".

So the process I followed...

1.  Open the file up in an app that recognizes xml to verify well-formness (every start tag has an end tag).  
2.  Compared the file to an existing file to ensure all tags were present.  In this case, in addition to the missing EventValues tag, there was another tag immediately following that was also missing.  So at the point where the data may have been corrupted, verify no additional tags were removed.
3.  Once, it is a proper xml file again, open in vixen.  In this case Vixen complained about an "Invalid length for a Base64 char array".  There is where I guessed and added an "=" to the end of the base64 event values data.  This was only a guess because there could have been a lot of data missing.  I just assumed the data wasn't affect. Sometimes you might have to put "==", it really depends on the size of the data you are writing out to disk.  If that doesn't work, then you have to take it into a program that will convert the base64 into binary and find out where the data stops.  This can be a little tricky.

I really think this was a unique situation.  But in case someone else experiences the same type of problem... maybe these tips will help.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Good work!

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, »
Sam... I'm sooooo happy for you!

Rob... you're amazing.  You've helped me so much too, and it's really appreciated!

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester