Author Topic: How about a dongle tx combined?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
How about a dongle tx combined?
« on: December 01, 2009, »
I would love to see a dongle with a transmitter combined in one package along with the ability to use batteries or transformer to power the tx.  This could be a great tool to take out into the yard and troubleshoot / test a display setup.  I would only use the battery option when I was out in the yard, but would want to use a transformer when running the regular show.  Hopefully it could have a toggle switch that could be on the outside of a case.  Would also like to see LEDs or some kind of indicator on ALL boards that would tell me that it is connected and appears to have power to it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: How about a dongle tx combined?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would love to see a dongle with a transmitter combined in one package along with the ability to use batteries or transformer to power the tx.  This could be a great tool to take out into the yard and troubleshoot / test a display setup.  I would only use the battery option when I was out in the yard, but would want to use a transformer when running the regular show.  Hopefully it could have a toggle switch that could be on the outside of a case.  Would also like to see LEDs or some kind of indicator on ALL boards that would tell me that it is connected and appears to have power to it.

Nah, take a laptop out in the yard and remote desktop into the show computer. :D

The original idea for the transmitter was a all in one box. Then people asked for the tx to be separate so they could put the tx where they needed it. There was talk and some people beta a portable dmx test unit but I have not heard anything about it in a while.

Also the  Lynx Conductor will be a all in one unit, I really want one of them

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, »
Sorry Hijacked! I wonder what you mean by all in one.  ;D

Nah, take a laptop out in the yard and remote desktop into the show computer. :D

The original idea for the transmitter was a all in one box. Then people asked for the tx to be separate so they could put the tx where they needed it. There was talk and some people beta a portable dmx test unit but I have not heard anything about it in a while.

Also the  Lynx Conductor will be a all in one unit, I really want one of them

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, »
Sorry Hijacked! I wonder what you mean by all in one.  ;D

Greetings,,,

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline tconley

• Conley Family Christmas
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, »
remember if you combined them you would have the limitation of the usb cable.  they start to get flakey after 12 ft.
Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?

I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, »
I have used logmein to remote connect to the show computer, but I find it slow and awkward and I use remote desktop with customers all the time.  

Cable length of USB cables is not an issue when you are carrying a laptop / netbook plus a dongle / tx unit around the layout doing troubleshooting.  I could mount and have in the past both the dongle and the TX onto a small board, but I would still be limited to having to have a power connection for the tx.  If walkie talkies can run off small batteries then so should this transmitter.  Remember this is not for show purposes but for layout troubleshooting.  I suppose the current tx could be jury rigged to run off a battery with a cable to plug in in place of the wired transformer, but I am not electrically knowledgeable enough to know if this could be done.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA