Author Topic: Wireless is interfering with WiFi  (Read 4293 times)

Offline ponddude

Wireless is interfering with WiFi
« on: December 04, 2009, »
For the last several months I have been experiencing WiFi issues.  Initially I thought it was just a bad router, but now that my show is on, I have problems that are even worse.  So...I have been doing a little testing.  My router is two floors down, in the basement.  My TX is upstairs on the second floor by my show computer and the iDMX.  No matter what laptop I use, as long as the TX is plugged in, I have major wireless problems.  Computers drop connections or have very limited connectivity.  So last night I did a little testing and discovered that as soon as the TX is unplugged the wireless network comes back full force.  Plug the TX in, I get limited connectivity. Then I went a little further and moved the TX around the house.  No matter where the TX is in the house, or whether or not it is transmitting something, I get very poor wireless reception. Then I got to thinking and realized that the TX has been plugged in by the show computer since I got it months ago.  That was around the same time I started having issues.  Could the wireless units be causing interference?  It is very interesting to me as I don't think the frequencies are anywhere near close. 

Anyone else experiencing problems?

There probably is a work around for this though. I can obviously change the frequency that the router is broadcasting.  Does anyone know the range of frequencies that TX is broadcasting?
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Wireless is interfering with WiFi
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, »
The TX transmits above channel 11 so the only channel that laps on it is channel 11. Put your wifi on a lower channel (your likely on 11 if you are having this much interference) and it will not mess with them.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ponddude

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, »
Well wouldn't you know my router was on channel 12.  Thats been changed.  We will see how things go.

Thanks RJ!
Greg

Offline richardb

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, »
So, all three "universes" the Wireless support at or above 11? 
Is this correct as best as everyone knows?

Thanks

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, »
So, all three "universes" the Wireless support at or above 11? 
Is this correct as best as everyone knows?

Thanks

There was a reshuffle of the channels/frequencies used when going from Version 1 to Version 2 transmitters.    If  XT channel 1 seems to cause interference,  try channel 2 or 3...     I do not have the specfics in front of me, but if memory serves me correct, XT channel 3  is now located  between  WIFI channels 4 and 5.    Those with the real info will probably jump in here real quick to correct any missinformation that I'm implying.   :)

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline richardb

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, »
I am stilll interested in frequencies for the universes.
If anyone knows, please let us know.   

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, »

There was a reshuffle of the channels/frequencies used when going from Version 1 to Version 2 transmitters.   
Larry

Wouldn't this provide some sort of incompatibility between versions, then? Might this mean I need to set my V1 receiver to channel 1, for example, and my V2 transmitter to channel 2, or something like that?

steve

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Check in the wiki and you'll find updated firmware for V1 versions compatible with V2.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, »
This is just to add a little more clarafication (hopefully):   version 1 (firmware version 1) and version 2 boards when set to Channel 1 will talk to each other;  Channel 2 and Channel 3 will only connect between the version 1 and version 2 boards when the version 1 boards have the updated firmware.  If all of your boards are version 1 and you do not intend to add the version 2 boards, then you do not need to update the firmware (but recommended).   

hope this helps (a little)...

Larry

There was a reshuffle of the channels/frequencies used when going from Version 1 to Version 2 transmitters.   
Larry

Wouldn't this provide some sort of incompatibility between versions, then? Might this mean I need to set my V1 receiver to channel 1, for example, and my V2 transmitter to channel 2, or something like that?

steve
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, »
Just to clarify the clarification:

Do all V1 devices (EX/RX, RX & TX) all need updated or just the receivers if I decide to use the alternate channels?

I have one V1 transmitter and 6 V1 EX/RX on my LE boards. I don't plan on building any V2 transmitters, but might one day since I have the PCBs. I do plan on more LEs and have a few V2 EX/RX PCBs.

Gosh I feel really old and dense some days. I know why I feel old, because I am, but the denseness baffles me. Maybe it's because of the age as well?

steve

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, »

Do all V1 devices (EX/RX, RX & TX) all need updated or just the receivers if I decide to use the alternate channels?

I have one V1 transmitter and 6 V1 EX/RX on my LE boards. I don't plan on building any V2 transmitters, but might one day since I have the PCBs. I do plan on more LEs and have a few V2 EX/RX PCBs.

Gosh I feel really old and dense some days. I know why I feel old, because I am, but the denseness baffles me. Maybe it's because of the age as well?

steve

If you have all Version 1 gear now and do not plan on mixing any version 2 gear you can keep the firmware that you have.

But I would suggest updating if you can all the version 1 gear with the new firmware, they have been some enhancements made.  Also by updating now you save yourself the trouble later and your gear is ready to work with the version 2 gear as soon as you add it.

This is just my opinion.

Bill

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, »

steve

If you have all Version 1 gear now and do not plan on mixing any version 2 gear you can keep the firmware that you have.

But I would suggest updating if you can all the version 1 gear with the new firmware, they have been some enhancements made.  Also by updating now you save yourself the trouble later and your gear is ready to work with the version 2 gear as soon as you add it.

This is just my opinion.

Bill

My opinon also!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline richardb

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, »
Seeing that RJ is back...
What are the frequencies being used for the 3 universes?

Offline batdive

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, »
Seeing that RJ is back...
What are the frequencies being used for the 3 universes?

Dont think he is back yet, he just checks in on us from time to time, because he misses us  ;D

Offline egenoup

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, »
he is currently in NZ....