Author Topic: Question with the Zero Crossing circuit  (Read 1830 times)

Offline ryanww

Question with the Zero Crossing circuit
« on: December 09, 2009, »
I have a quick question. Tried searching, but didn't find the answer I am seeking.

I know this board has 2 inputs for power. Does each one have its own ZC circuit if they were on different phases? Or do they really need to be on the same phase since the first most likely has a ZC circuit on it?

Thanks, Ryan

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Question with the Zero Crossing circuit
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have a quick question. Tried searching, but didn't find the answer I am seeking.

I know this board has 2 inputs for power. Does each one have its own ZC circuit if they were on different phases? Or do they really need to be on the same phase since the first most likely has a ZC circuit on it?

Thanks, Ryan

Only the left input powers the board electronics along with the first 8 channels. The right input only powers up the remaining channels (9-16)

One ZC circuit

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, »
In the USA it does not matter as the phases are 180 deg out so the ZC is at the same time.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ryanww

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, »
Correct, in a single phase environment.. I do mostly 3 phase.. It would most likely not work if I am on different legs correct?

Ryan

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, »
yes each units input need to be in phase so on a three phase it would need to be on the same leg.

Your running three phase at your house?

RJ

Offline ryanww

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, »
No, I am looking at these more for running smaller load lighting fixtures (such as MR16's or christmas lights or some decorative pieces) but at a church/or other venues. Its a commercial power feed.

Actually my last house was fed from 3 phase, each unit had a single phase service but split off a 3 phase feed. So the 2 legs were 208v and 120 degrees apart. Not the smartest thing they did.

Thanks for the info though!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, »
When you sign up at DLA you agree not to use DLA equipment in commercial venues (agreement at the beginning of your registration you have to agree to before you are given an account). It is for personal displays of your own for entertainment and education only.

You need Commercial equipment for these purposes. The equipment here is not UL and is not apporved for such use.

RJ