Author Topic: Skunked again!  (Read 1912 times)

Offline zwiller

Skunked again!
« on: December 10, 2009, »
As you may recall, aeronautical96 managed to save 1 of 2 sequences that I couldn't open for some reason.  (Most likely from tweaking the profile while they were open).  THANKS AGAIN!

I decided to redo the only sequence I couldn't bring back from the dead: Carol of the Bells.  So I sat down over the weekend and did most if it again.  Worked on it on and off saving closing and even shutting down to test for errors because I am still freaked from last time.  On a good note, sequencing is actually going MUCH FASTER now.

Anyhoo, I am 3/4 done and sit down last night to finish and bingo!  Error, root not found.  Looked at the text and there is nothing there.  NADA!  I didn't even use the computer since I last saved it.

My game face goes on and I redid the thing all last night a 3rd time.  (got most of it in memory now, which to me is 1/2 the battle)

I really don't think I am doing anything wrong.  Any suggestions?  I am wondering if the audio track could have something to do with it since it is the only constant.

I completely understand the risks with vixen and expect problems but maybe I am not patient or geeky enough.  If I lose it again I will probably move to LSP.  I have to admit as a musican I could really rip through the sequences with the wii controllers.  However, I feel part of the team with the development of vixen and I loved the cost!

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Skunked again!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, »

Just wondering if something else is going on.

Like is your virus/spyware protection up to date, is your hard drive in good condition (defrag, check for errors)

Do you have access to another computer to use vixen on to see if the problem is something you are doing or a computer problem.

I have been updating my profile, making changes to my sequences including Carol of the Bells. Maybe I am just lucky??

Any how, I am really sorry you are having problems with vixen and losing your sequences. In your case I would work on a sequence and save it and then make backup copies of it every 1/2 hr to an hour. Don't keep copying over the same backup file give them different version numbers so if you spot a problem then you can recover from it.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, »
This computer is not online and I think the drive is fine.  I don't experience any other issues with other programs that indicate a hard drive problem.

I now have 8 or so sequences that open fine.  I am only experienced problems with one.  Since I redid it the 3rd time it has been stable.  Knock on wood.  Hopefully this is the last time I revisit this. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, »
Maybe you've said this in a different thread, but what OS are you using?  And I'm assuming you are using Vixen 2.5.0.8... let us know. 

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, »
Yep: 2.5.0.8.

Once again I had NO issues when I save, copy, back up, doing sequence, etc.  Shut the puter down for night.  Then bam, can't open it the next day.   

Only minor problem I have now is some error opening vixen regarding preferences.  I delete the preferences file in my docs and I am ok.  This is rare though.  Maybe the 2 are related?

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, »
Ok, stretching here.  Can you tell me if you have the save confirmation check box enable (Tools > Preferences > Sequence Editing).  If this is not checked... I'm wondering if you are closing vixen out quicker than it takes to write the file contents to disk.  however, if it is check, then that wouldn't make sense as you would need to confirm the checkbox prior to close of the app.

Are you running Windows XP, Vista or Win7?

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, »
NO, I hate that pop up window for the save confirmation.  I do not have it checked.  Although I save like every 5 minutes, I see what you're getting at though.  I suppose I could be rushing the final save and shut off.  I'll slow it down.

Running XP pro. 

While were at it, can Vixen be run by Win98?  Building a dedicated show box and have a spare copy.