Author Topic: Correct FTDI driver version?  (Read 4070 times)

Offline rokkett

Correct FTDI driver version?
« on: November 13, 2009, »
Ok, I finally got around to assembling my dongle.  Everything went very smoothly and when I got done, I followed the driver link and installed the VCP 2.06.00 driver, dated 3 November 2009.  Plugged it into the USB port, the PC found it, and set it up.  Vixen sees the new COM3 port.

But then I picked up my printed copy of the wiki dongle instructions and it says to install version CDM 2.04.16.  Huh?  I found the CDM version, but is it required?  That version is no longer on the FTDI link page - you have to follow the wiki link to get it.  I think I may need to back out the driver and re-load the documented one.

I won't have a DMX device until tomorrow evening, at the earliest, to test - but should I worry about the driver and just install the  2.04.16 version or just wait and test.  Is VCP 2.06.00 and updated version of CDM 2.04.16?  I think it is and it will work as the comm port appeared and vixen sees it.

But...

Thanks everyone for sharing your wisdom....

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Correct FTDI driver version?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok, I finally got around to assembling my dongle.  Everything went very smoothly and when I got done, I followed the driver link and installed the VCP 2.06.00 driver, dated 3 November 2009.  Plugged it into the USB port, the PC found it, and set it up.  Vixen sees the new COM3 port.

But then I picked up my printed copy of the wiki dongle instructions and it says to install version CDM 2.04.16.  Huh?  I found the CDM version, but is it required?  That version is no longer on the FTDI link page - you have to follow the wiki link to get it.  I think I may need to back out the driver and re-load the documented one.

I won't have a DMX device until tomorrow evening, at the earliest, to test - but should I worry about the driver and just install the  2.04.16 version or just wait and test.  Is VCP 2.06.00 and updated version of CDM 2.04.16?  I think it is and it will work as the comm port appeared and vixen sees it.

But...

Thanks everyone for sharing your wisdom....

Yes 2.06 is the latest version, I have that version loaded on my windows 7 pc and it works just fine.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rokkett

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, »
Thanks!  So after I got confirmation that I installed the correct software - I go to install on my test PC, and this time, I  pay close attention and see the VCP driver's file name is: CDM20600.exe.  Duh!  Had noticed that earlier, I would not have been so freaked out by the CDM file reference.  Live and learn....

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, »
Beat me to it!  Had the same issue myself last night after I assembled my dongle.  I went for it anyway.  Glad to see a confirmation we're ok. 

Mine is recognized on my XP machine but I didn't have time to connect the LE.  But it looks like I was successful. 

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."